WHY INTEL DOESN'T INCLUDE A MEMORY CONTROLLER IN IT'S CHIPS?

9-inch

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Yep, so true. I'm not gonna disagree with you on that. There is simply no better design than AMDs.

The drawback with this is, it doesn't leave much room for AMD to improve their current design much though.

ltcommander_data

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
You're right, chip die area isn't a very good reason. However, it is important to look at the whole concept of what he is saying which is included in the lines that followed which you didn't include.

Instead, Intel makes its memory controllers on the next-to-best technology generation, where silicon real estate goes for less of a premium.
The current northbridges are made on the 130nm process which hasn't been used in processors since Banias. By using a older process, Intel maximizes it's production facilities while keeping costs at a minimum. I'm probably being repetitive, but Intel's next step is to double transition from 130nm to 90nm and 200mm wafers to 300mm wafers which should easily cut their production costs by more than half while reducing power consumption and giving them more space for additional features.

A lot of it is probably superstition. Intel tried it with Timna and it screwed up royally. Now AMD is constantly flaunting their OMC. The OMC just seems like bad luck for Intel.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
You're right, chip die area isn't a very good reason. However, it is important to look at the whole concept of what he is saying which is included in the lines that followed which you didn't include.

Instead, Intel makes its memory controllers on the next-to-best technology generation, where silicon real estate goes for less of a premium.
The current northbridges are made on the 130nm process which hasn't been used in processors since Banias. By using a older process, Intel maximizes it's production facilities while keeping costs at a minimum. I'm probably being repetitive, but Intel's next step is to double transition from 130nm to 90nm and 200mm wafers to 300mm wafers which should easily cut their production costs by more than half while reducing power consumption and giving them more space for additional features.

A lot of it is probably superstition. Intel tried it with Timna and it screwed up royally. Now AMD is constantly flaunting their OMC. The OMC just seems like bad luck for Intel.

Oh shut up and look at this fanboy: http://voodoopc.blogspot.com/2006/03/if-only-they-had-time-machine.html

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time

xXDracoXx

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
I beleive you're against bias, mike, because that article really rats out intel's setup-mistakes. However, it's also a big bias to stick to one article that makes things look greener on your side, no pun intended (yeah, that sucked, green=AMD...).

Notice this isn't an offensive post and I don't believe that an agressive reply would be appropriate, although I have to admit it's expected.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I beleive you're against bias, mike, because that article really rats out intel's setup-mistakes. However, it's also a big bias to stick to one article that makes things look greener on your side, no pun intended (yeah, that sucked, green=AMD...).

Notice this isn't an offensive post and I don't believe that an agressive reply would be appropriate, although I have to admit it's expected.

I didn't mean to be aggressive, but for the past 6 hours, I've been flamed for sticking to AMD, now I have proof, I think that warrants a few minutes of bragging.

http://voodoopc.blogspot.com/2006/03/if-only-they-had-time-machine.html

xXDracoXx

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
I agree. I see all the flaming you get and think it's really dumb. It may be tough, but ignore the intel fanboys(this isn't meant to be agressive towards them <.<, notice I have an old P4...) and just reply to the clean arguers. Replying with an insult to an insult accompanied with that article link only makes them want to flame back until they've got the last word.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I agree. I see all the flaming you get and think it's really dumb. It may be tough, but ignore the intel fanboys(this isn't meant to be agressive towards them <.<, notice I have an old P4...) and just reply to the clean arguers. Replying with an insult to an insult accompanied with that article link only makes them want to flame back until they've got the last word.

True, there do seem to be a few educated non-insulting people I am chatting with now about this, it's nice to know not everybody hated me because I wasn't joining Team Intel.

Action_Man

Splendid
Jan 7, 2004
People hate you because you're a troll, you keep posting that weakass article and you're just plain sh!tty. You also seem to be against competition for some strange reason, probably because you're a troll or an idiot or both.