K8WE scsi not working

Maz28

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
Hi guys,

I have finally kicked my K8WE into action today after several issues like memory and PSU choice.

BIOS: 1.01
RAM: KVR400S4R3A/512 x 2
PSU: Silverstone ST65ZF
CPU: AMD 248 x 2

It is working but …the SCSI controller doesn’t seem to find any of the connected drives.

I have tried the same drives driven by an old Adaptec 2940 Controller card placed in slot 2 (33 MHz) and they work fine.

Tyan doesn’t tell you this before you buy it but the onboard SCSI controller runs off the 100 MHZ PCI-X bus.

I wonder if this has anything to do with my problem.

The manual doesn’t incorporate any information about the SCSI controller (a bit poor for a 640 Euro mobo) so I am hoping that someone smarter than me may have some suggestions.

This is my first experience on a workstation mobo so please bear with me if I am not too familiar with some of the BIOS / mobo settings.

Thank you all

Maz :roll:

Maz28

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
Yes, all IDs are OK

Furthermore,
With SATA storage connected I get the following error message:

> Out of space for option ROMs
> Option ROM for the following device-PCI Mass Storage Controller on motherboard
> Bus 0A, Device 06, Functions 00 Was unable to run due to memory constraint.

…..so SCSI does not work.

If SATA is disabled then SCSI is available, Cntr.+C enters the menu, but upon scan for devices only No 7 (controller) is found. No DRIVES!
The drives work if on Adaptec Pci controller so they are fine.

The manual shipped with the M.Board is Rev 1.00 and does not even include SCSI contr. Instructions. Is there a later one?

linux_0

Splendid
Yes, all IDs are OK

Furthermore,
With SATA storage connected I get the following error message:

> Out of space for option ROMs
> Option ROM for the following device-PCI Mass Storage Controller on motherboard
> Bus 0A, Device 06, Functions 00 Was unable to run due to memory constraint.

…..so SCSI does not work.

If SATA is disabled then SCSI is available, Cntr.+C enters the menu, but upon scan for devices only No 7 (controller) is found. No DRIVES!
The drives work if on Adaptec Pci controller so they are fine.

The manual shipped with the M.Board is Rev 1.00 and does not even include SCSI contr. Instructions. Is there a later one?

Which version of the K8WE board do you have?

There are at least 2 versions that I know of the Tiger K8WE (S2877) and the Thunder K8WE (S2895).

Please post the full S28xxXXXXXXX model number.

This is just a guess... have you tried it with 4 memory sticks???

2 for each CPU or 1 memory stick for each CPU?

For best performance in Dual Opterons you should always use 2 matched sticks for each CPU in the system ( 4 sticks = 2xDual Channel kits = 128bit mode ).

The same is true for 4way and 8way Opterons as well.

So...

If you have 2 CPUs you should use 4 sticks of RAM ( 2 for each CPU )

4 CPUs + 8 sticks of RAM

8 CPUs + 16 sticks of RAM

Maz28

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
The mobo is:

K8WE S2895 UA2NRF

I know about the memory issue and I am waiting for two more to install.

But I have a feeling it won't change much.

Nowhere is it stated that the mobo should not work with sticks on one CPU only, just reccomendations.

Hammerz

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Well youre in a hard place.
This motherboard is not all it seems.

The onboard SCSI controller from LSI lacks the circutry to run raid or in "hardware mode" and it will only detect your SCSI drive if there is a single drive connected on first install unless software raid is used.

Hence in short you will never be able to install OS on hardware SCSI setup on that controller since it will only run software mode raid and thus you need to have an allready installed OS in order to access the SCSI software raid.

I should know I have it :wink:

I bought a LSI 320-x2 megaraid controller to bypass all those nightmares.

On a personal note I think Tyan is scum for not posting theese things when you buy the product but then there is so many things one can complain about...

If you want verification to my statement check out the dedicated website for that particular board at : http://www.k8we.com

linux_0

Splendid
The mobo is:

K8WE S2895 UA2NRF

I know about the memory issue and I am waiting for two more to install.

But I have a feeling it won't change much.

Nowhere is it stated that the mobo should not work with sticks on one CPU only, just reccomendations.

The extra memory should increase performance but may not fix the problem.

What kind of SCSI drives do you have and what kind of SCSI cables are you trying to use?

Do you have any pictures?

Did you enable termination on your drives?

What are the jumper settings on each drive and what are the settings in the SCSI BIOS?

Maz28

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
Iwas wrong!

With the newer Bios all the problems disappeared.

The board is now functionig in all its glory but I'm still testing it very carefully after the way I've been punished from this guy

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1029066

I wonder if anybody else sides with him??

Thank you Hammerz I'll keep you posted

linux_0

Splendid
I think that person was being abusive for no reason.

I dunno what his problem was.

Supermicro boards are usually quite nice but Tyan boards are usually decent too.

Anyway please don't listen to him.