Installing XP on Windows 7 computer

Bitman_01

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
How do I install xp on a new laptop that came with Windows 7 64 bit standard? I need 32 bit XP to run business program. I have a partition ready.

ulysses35

Distinguished
What program are you trying to use ? Windows 7 has XP mode built in to it, so running older programs should be fine.

64 v 32 bit OS's dont make a huge difference apart from the extra memory access and registers associated with them

Bitman_01

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
I have Windows 7 Home premium, I was told to run in XP mode you need Professional. I am not sure if in XP mode if it is a 64 bit or 32 bit mode. I am using Navision, it is an accounting program. I checked and an upgrade cost over 10 G's. Tried to load on 64 bit and wouldn't recognize. Did a dual boot with windows 7 32 bit, the software loaded but won't run. I want to keep Windows 7, but need the capability of running my accounting software while on the road. I am currently running the software on my XP 32 bit system at the office so I know that it will run with it.

singingigo

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
I would use Windows Any Time Upgrade to get Windows 7 Professional and use XP mode to install your program. I've used XP Mode for older apps, and it was designed for exactly your need. Using XP Mode will allow you the power saving and network features of Windows 7 while running your app.

Bitman_01

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009

Thank you for the suggestion. I upgraded and installed my software and it WORKS!! Best $89.95 I have ever spent. I have spent hours setting up partitions and trying both Windows 7 32 bit as well as trying to install XP when this took less than 30 minutes from beginning to end. You have solved my problem.

Windows XP mode is a virtualized 32-bit XP environment... so you don't have to worry about 32 vs. 64-bit in that case. The program is likely not compatible with Vista or Win 7, as you found when you tried to run it with 32-bit Windows 7. There were a couple other tricks you could have tried, but if XP mode is working for you, then that's all you need.

singingigo

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007

Glad it worked! Like I said, I'm using it too, and it IS nice!

mrjay78

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
I have a similar but different issue. I had xp home premium 64 and did anytime upgrade to pro. However it seems that my processor doesn't have support for ms virtual xp from windows 7. Can I install xp 32 bit to it's own esata drive and do dualboot? Seems a lot of games aren't working.