Desktop dell windows 7 will not turn off

younger

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2011
I have a Dell Desktop that had vista and I replaced it with Windows 7 and now when I go to turn the computer off it will not shut down. I have to manually hold the turnoff button and hold it, then it turns off and about 30 seconds later it will turn back on, then immediately shut down.

What could be the problem and how can I correct this.

skaz

Distinguished
When upgrading to windows 7 you have two options. You can do a "clean install" or an "upgrade install". Which one did you choose when upgrading? I ask because people have reported odd problems when choosing the "upgrade install" method vs the clean install.

younger

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2011

It was an "upgrade install", thank you for the response. Is there a way to correct this?

skaz

Distinguished

Make sure all your drivers are up to date on your system first. Stuff like your graphics card, motherboard chipset, etc.

If you want to do a clean install just follow the steps you took before when upgrading but instead choose the clean install method. Make sure to back up all important files because when doing a clean install it will wipe your hard drive. Basically giving you a fresh start. I always choose clean install when upgrading my systems.

Remember this isn't guaranteed to fix your problem. It is just a "possible" cause. So make sure to check all the drivers before doing a clean install to see if that fixes your problem.

Backup your registry and follow the registry tweak here. It says it is for xp but it also works for window 7

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/11/12/how-to-speed-up-windows-shutdown/

You may also force shutdown by using shortcut with to "C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe -f -s -t 60" to shut it down. change -s to -l for log off, -r for restart, change number after -t to change shutdown delay in seconds.