Difficult video-card choice.

xXDracoXx

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
I plan on making my next PC a 'future-proof'(if that's possible) gaming rig. The basics are a dual-core cpu and 2GB of ram. All my choices for the parts are made except for the video-card.

7800GT vs X1900XT. I know that the latter is literally twice as powerful on the benchmarks but I don't think I really need that power to run games with tons of eye-candy at 1280x1024. Basically, if I can save a few hundred bucks, I will.

What bugs me the most about the GT is the 256MB. I'm guessing many games today are capable of using more than that and that doesn't make it seem too future-proof. I build with the idea that I will never upgrade, except perhaps memory if needed because it becomes inexpensive.

I want this computer to last me a solid 3 years. (My current PC is in my benchmark comparisons. It passes all minimum requirements yet by a fair margin but not being able to play at native resolution on a 19 inch sreen sucks)

If it may help, the games I intend on playing are: Oblivion, UT2007 and any good mmorpg/rts that the future throws at me(although these two latter are never a performance problem for their time).

xXDracoXx

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
The price difference in my system between the two cards comes up to 304$ CAD. This converts to 263.11$ USD.

Also, is the XT bigger than the GT? I've heard it would be the same size but more confirmation on this would be great.

G-Man

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2004
U should be lookin at the 7800gt vs 1800xt. Though if i could afford the $450 us. i would have got that one. Dont know if u have the ability to ppurchase from compusa up there, but i just got a x1800xt512 for 367.00 tax included, with a $50.00 mail in rebate when i get it. If u can get, is a great price. If u cant, I would wait a lil while longer to see how the 7900 is gonna turn out. Might be some slight price drops accross the board.

Where are you shoping in Canada?

You just missed a sale at NCIX where the All-in-wonder X1800XL was $370CDN, that was a sweet price, now it's $443.

Otherwise I'd say look for the plain X1900 or AIWX1900 if you can find them for a good price, AIW is $534 @ NCIX. I'm sure there's better prices out there.