Sign in with
Your question

End The Conroe Battle

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Keyboards
Last response: in CPUs
March 9, 2006 1:46:02 AM

I think after 8 hours of fighting over Conroe and the benchmarks, let's give our hands and keyboards a break. Who cares, f*ck it all, wait the time, when Conroe comes out, it woops AM2, I'll be sad, if AM2 woops it, I'll be glad. Let's end this.

edit: besides, not sure there can be much more said after this much, heh.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time

More about : end conroe battle

March 9, 2006 1:47:41 AM

Your not serious.......come on it's fun to flame. What should we talk about politics..I think not.
March 9, 2006 1:48:55 AM

Smartest thing said today, by anyone.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 9, 2006 1:49:11 AM

That means you take 4 AMD and your a Fanboy!

lol seriously lets wait n see!
March 9, 2006 1:49:12 AM

Quote:
Your not serious.......come on it's fun to flame. What should we talk about politics..I think not.

The Mods are gonna look over this probably and ban half the forum, lol. Including me.

March 9, 2006 1:50:07 AM

i guess, cause i'm tired of replying to trolls which is now my favourite word.
March 9, 2006 1:51:08 AM

Quote:
i guess, cause i'm tired of replying to trolls which is now my favourite word.

We're all Trolls in our special little way.

March 9, 2006 2:06:28 AM

yeah but certain people have more troll in the tahn others...
March 9, 2006 2:26:55 AM

I love lamp?

Antec NeoHE 550w PS
DFI Lan Party UT NF4 Ultra
AMD Athlon 3700+ Sandy @ 2.8ghz (10x280) - "Arctic Freezer 64"
2gb (2x1gb) Patriot Performance Memory (2-3-2-5)
ATI Original X1900XT
Creative XF-I
(2x120gb WD SATA II HD's) - Raid 0
March 9, 2006 2:32:05 AM

what? I love lamp? what is that supposed to be?
March 9, 2006 2:36:51 AM

Quote:

It's called 'Randomness evolved'
March 9, 2006 2:39:30 AM

Quote:

Oooh! Ooh! how about religion?? :twisted:
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 9, 2006 3:23:50 AM

From anchorman I think.

I love carpet!

Funny sh** loool
March 9, 2006 7:01:40 PM

oh yeah, i remember taht shit,that was a hilarious movie, man, "its smeels like gasoline", "yeah, its made with real chunks of jaguar so you know its good"
March 9, 2006 7:07:15 PM

agreed my hands are tired my keyboard is tired my monitor is tired and my computer is tired lets stop this today and pick it up tommorow ok guys
March 9, 2006 7:09:21 PM

I think you are talking about the cologne "Sex Panther" See following.

No, she gets a special cologne...It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries...Yep it's made with bits of real Panther, so you know it's good.
March 9, 2006 8:00:59 PM

YEAH, thats it, i'm not very good at quoting movies and shows, but that was really funny, i remeber now, been a while since i saw it.
March 9, 2006 8:30:17 PM

That movie is hilarious. Do you have tickets to the show???

The gun show
March 11, 2006 2:59:43 AM

AAARRRRooooooooo? gun show, what? :? 8O Is this another quote i don't remember?
March 11, 2006 3:33:10 AM

Quote:

That's from AnchorMan: The Story of Ron Burgundy. The part where they sing that stupid song in the office. God it's scary that I remember that and HATED THAT MOVIE.
March 11, 2006 3:38:45 AM

Quote:
I think after 8 hours of fighting over Conroe and the benchmarks, let's give our hands and keyboards a break. Who cares, f*ck it all, wait the time, when Conroe comes out, it woops AM2, I'll be sad, if AM2 woops it, I'll be glad. Let's end this.

Mike
Put my quote of Conroe being great back into your profile. I want EVERYONE to see it when it comes out.
March 11, 2006 4:03:27 AM

Quote:

That's from AnchorMan: The Story of Ron Burgundy. The part where they sing that stupid song in the office. God it's scary that I remember that and HATED THAT MOVIE.

yeah i remember that, i was wondering what the gunshow was about, it seemed sooo, random :?
March 11, 2006 4:40:28 AM

Quote:

What after 8 hours is your AMD system overheating or something Mike ?

[Kidding] :p 
March 11, 2006 12:12:00 PM

Quote:
. Who cares, f*ck it all, wait the time, when Conroe comes out, it woops AM2, I'll be sad, if AM2 woops it, I'll be glad.

This is the bit that I just don't get. Why should you care which processor comes out on top? Surely you want the processor that gives you best prefromance or best value for money? Why does it matter if it's an Intel chip or an AMD chip? :?
March 11, 2006 12:47:17 PM

Quote:

This is the bit that I just don't get. Why should you care which processor comes out on top? Surely you want the processor that gives you best prefromance or best value for money? Why does it matter if it's an Intel chip or an AMD chip? :?

Because AMD needs the cash more than Intel. As long as there are two companies making chips we all win. Two co's keep the other honest.
March 11, 2006 12:53:39 PM

That is nice you doing your part, but it is going to be hard to maintain your morals on that issue when you are realize that for hundreds less you could have gotten a CPU which performs better, faster and cooler, but you feel good and green helping save the world from monopolistic destruction.
March 11, 2006 4:29:38 PM

Quote:
That is nice you doing your part, but it is going to be hard to maintain your morals on that issue when you are realize that for hundreds less you could have gotten a CPU which performs better, faster and cooler, but you feel good and green helping save the world from monopolistic destruction.

I'm sorry I must be missing something? Hundreds less? performs better, faster and cooler?

Ok so you must be talking about Amd huh? Because they are the performance champ right now.

If you say I should have waited? naw, there's always a faster, cheaper, better something or other in the works. I have to buy something when I want it otherwise I'd never buy anything because I'd always waiting for the next new thing.

Intel has been good at sticking it's foot in it's mouth... there's HYPE and then there's reality... reality is conroe is 6months away. Alot can happen in 6 months. Systems have gone obsolete in less time than that. :p 
March 11, 2006 7:50:58 PM

Geez, I run off to the Bahamas for vacation for a couple of weeks, and return to find the freakin' forum has gone nuts!
I hope everybody is settling done a bit.
Anyway, I'm staying out of this battle because at this point in time I really just don't CARE. I just built a new system a month ago, laid out thousands of cash on a trip, so I won't be building a new system until mid-2007 at the earliest, anyway.
Whichever is on top then, Intel or AMD, that's the one I'll probably choose. That's more than a year away for me, so this whole AMD vs. Intel battle has just become ridiculously inane.
March 11, 2006 8:00:25 PM

Just out of curiosity, what did you build? I am trying to figure out my best upgrade strategy at the moment as well.
March 11, 2006 11:21:22 PM

Quote:

MADMODMIKE YOU ARE THE COOLEST!!! YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE ON THESE FORUMS THAT KNOWS SHIT ABOUT COMPUTERS!!! FUCK ALL THOSE STUPID FANBOYS!
March 11, 2006 11:40:30 PM

THANK YOU!! :lol: 

now its you, me MadModMike, 9-inch, DVDpiddy, viperbypass,and verndewd against everyone else.

Defending newbs from intel TROLLS, my new favourite word.
March 11, 2006 11:44:09 PM

Quote:

now its you, me MadModMike, 9-inch, DVDpiddy, viperbypass,and verndewd against everyone else.

FIGHT THE POWER BROTHER!! MADMODMIKE GOT BANNED FOR 24 HOURS DUE TO INTEL FANBOY BABIES!!! HE WILL BE BACK AND HE WILL RAISE THE HELL!!!!

RAW-HA-WAH!!!!
RAW-HA-WAH!!!!
RAW-HA-WAH!!!!
RAW-HA-WAH!!!!
RAW-HA-WAH!!!!
RAW-HA-WAH!!!!
RAW-HA-WAH!!!!
RAW-HA-WAH!!!!
March 11, 2006 11:44:29 PM

Oh.. don't forget Coldbreeze... unless, you count ruby and coldbreeze as one.
March 12, 2006 12:28:52 AM

Bout time, i was reading all his post, and all he does it spam and, according to the bench marks, the conroe did win against the FX-60, meaning it may beat it, and no im not a fan boy, i have 4 intel systems and 6 AMD. I buy whats best.
March 13, 2006 9:22:47 AM

Quote:

LOL

Go AMD Go!!! U can do it!!!
March 13, 2006 1:24:02 PM

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, what did you build? I am trying to figure out my best upgrade strategy at the moment as well.

I've got an X2 3800+ boosted with a mild overclock to 2.2 ghz on an MSI Nforce 4 board, Neo 4, 1 gb dual channel ram, mid-level video.
Still using the 6600 GT PCI-E card I bought a few months ago. It's working fine and I just can't bring myself to spend more than $200 for a new video card.

No immediate upgrades planned. When Bethesda's Morrowind sequel, Oblivion, comes out, I might upgrade the video to something in the 7800 series, or maybe I'll go with ATI, not sure. We'll see how well the card I've got now handles it.
I'm also considering upgrading my RAM (2 x 512mb dual channel, mid-level decent Kingston stuff) to 2 gigs (dual 1 gig sticks).
Not high-end, but good enough.
a b à CPUs
March 13, 2006 1:32:41 PM

Quote:

Fanboys make me sad.

Why do you love AMD soo much? Is it to Hypertranport port you like :lol: 
Sexy curves? refreshing allure? Do you make sweet love to your processor at night? does she keep you warm?

Seriously guys.. this is ridiculous.

Intel's Conroe is superior, in every way. A n00b would state AMD's processor is superior.. an intellect will look towards the expended 128bit registers as a TRUE indicator to performance. As well as the fact that Conroe's FPU is not the weak pathetic FPU present in the Pentium4/D.

Conroe is just too darn efficient. Intel have a larger engineering team, more resources and have probably kept alot of performance improvements from reaching the final product. 1 Year into Conroe we will probably see a memory controller being intergrated into the die. The fact Intel could match the K8 without doing this is impressive. Better performance, lower power useage and improved FPU/registers for gaming and SSE, SSE2, SSE3 optimisations as well as SSE4 most probably. Conroe doesn't need to rely on SSE optimisations to beat the K8... because it's x87 FPU is pretty powerful on it's own.

It's an amazing processor design.
a b à CPUs
March 13, 2006 2:14:04 PM

my prescott keeps me warm at night, lol
March 13, 2006 2:35:36 PM

Quote:

FIGHT THE POWER BROTHER!! MADMODMIKE GOT BANNED FOR 24 HOURS DUE TO INTEL FANBOY BABIES!!! HE WILL BE BACK AND HE WILL RAISE THE HELL!!!!

RAW-HA-WAH!!!!
RAW-HA-WAH!!!!
RAW-HA-WAH!!!!
RAW-HA-WAH!!!!
RAW-HA-WAH!!!!
RAW-HA-WAH!!!!
RAW-HA-WAH!!!!
RAW-HA-WAH!!!! he didnt get banned and dude i'm back after 2 days without posting and its still the same ol crap! well mike and me keep fighting the good fight agianst all you one sided fanboys that think intel rules all my ass!
March 13, 2006 2:46:04 PM

I read the newest article, and it says in the conclusion that the FSB will still be the ceiling when Intel releases their quad-core processors. I think that the Conroe will certainly be a large improvement over the P4s, but who knows what AMD will have up their sleeve? They have been the trend-setters for years now, and I have no reason to think that Conroe will change that. The variable here isn't how well Conroe will perform, but what AMD will introduce. Does anyone know anything past the FX-62? That's not really anything new (just a dual-core FX-57), and Conroe is very different from P4. So let's see the next-gen AMD processors before we say anything eh?

Let's say that, on average, the Conroe is 20% faster than the AMD's current line (the tests could have been done better, all can attest to that). I am very surprised that there are only a few of you with enough confidence in AMD to realize that they are quite capable of making up that 20%. I'm even more surprised because not only has AMD been the leader for some time now, but Intel has made several large mistakes in their architecture recently. I think a lot of the hype was removed from this newest article, and it keeps it less biased so we can all get a better feel for what Conroe will bring. The picture is still bright, but it isn't as cheery.
a b à CPUs
March 13, 2006 2:50:04 PM

I don't think you understand.

The Intel Conroe tested was the mainstream version of the processor (like an Athlon64 2800+ today). The AMD processor tested was an overclocked FX-60. Therefore it's an idea of the upcoming models coming from AMD.

In other words.. Intel's higher end 3GHz and over Conroe's should offer around 40% improvements taking into account there large Performance per MHz ability.

For an AMD fanboy it's a nightmare, for an Intel Fanboy it's a wet dream.. for the avg consumer (myself included) it means more competition, better prices and a renewed fight.
March 13, 2006 3:02:27 PM

Quote:

The Intel Conroe tested was the mainstream version of the processor (like an Athlon64 2800+ today). The AMD processor tested was an overclocked FX-60. Therefore it's an idea of the upcoming models coming from AMD.

In other words.. Intel's higher end 3GHz and over Conroe's should offer around 40% improvements taking into account there large Performance per MHz ability.

For an AMD fanboy it's a nightmare, for an Intel Fanboy it's a wet dream.. for the avg consumer (myself included) it means more competition, better prices and a renewed fight.

The current FX-60 is an idea of the upcoming yes, but not exactly like them. The AM2 will at a minimum support DDR2, maybe even an increase in the Hypertransport and FSB speeds. And by the way overclocking an FX-60 by 200MHz in only about a 7-8% overclock. That isn't enough to justify the "equal" comparison by Intel.

If the benchmarks by Intel and correct, and that is a big if, you are still comparing a single hand-picked processor that will not be mainstream for at least 6 months. By which time AM2 will probably be released and maturing, so you have no idea how the two will perform side by side, until we actually see them side by side. So everybody call down, fire up your favorite FPS, RTS, RPG or whatever, and enjoy the rig you have and just have fun until the next generation of products are released.

Regards,
a b à CPUs
March 13, 2006 3:11:35 PM

Quote:

The current FX-60 is an idea of the upcoming yes, but not exactly like them. The AM2 will at a minimum support DDR2, maybe even an increase in the Hypertransport and FSB speeds. And by the way overclocking an FX-60 by 200MHz in only about a 7-8% overclock. That isn't enough to justify the "equal" comparison by Intel.

If the benchmarks by Intel and correct, and that is a big if, you are still comparing a single hand-picked processor that will not be mainstream for at least 6 months. By which time AM2 will probably be released and maturing, so you have no idea how the two will perform side by side, until we actually see them side by side. So everybody call down, fire up your favorite FPS, RTS, RPG or whatever, and enjoy the rig you have and just have fun until the next generation of products are released.

Regards,

AMD AM2 Eng Sample Benchmarked

There more to it then you think. AM2 will use DDR-II. Anyone who knows how the K8's intergrated memory controller works knows this to be a LARGE mistake.

Have you tried changing the option in teh BIOS to 2T command rate and then benchmarking? You'll lose about 1,000MB/sec of memory bandwidth and about 5% in performance.

AMD2 will NOT be close to enough to challenge Conroe. Remember the Conroe tested was the mainstream version (budget) and the Athlon64 X2 tested was an idea of the highend processor AMD will have by then.
You have to take this into account. Before stating that we cannot extrapolate an idea of what performance will be like.

I can.. always have. ;)  I'm not asking to discuss this. I'm TELLING you this is how it's going to be. AMD will counter in 2007. The end of 2006 will belong to Intel.
March 13, 2006 3:19:57 PM

Quote:

I agree with Mike. I don't mind having a debate, but it needs:

Civility
and
FACTS

Not unintelligent fanboy-ism garbage.

Please read a thread I have created:

"A Call For Reasonable FanBoy-ism"
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/Call-Reasonable...
March 13, 2006 3:20:31 PM

Are you kidding me dude?

Quote:

Fanboys make me sad.

Why do you love AMD soo much? Is it to Hypertranport port you like :lol: 
Sexy curves? refreshing allure? Do you make sweet love to your processor at night? does she keep you warm?

Seriously guys.. this is ridiculous.

You agree to quit the flames, and then...

Quote:
Intel's Conroe is superior, in every way. A n00b would state AMD's processor is superior.. an intellect will look towards the expended 128bit registers as a TRUE indicator to performance. As well as the fact that Conroe's FPU is not the weak pathetic FPU present in the Pentium4/D.

Conroe is just too darn efficient. Intel have a larger engineering team, more resources and have probably kept alot of performance improvements from reaching the final product. 1 Year into Conroe we will probably see a memory controller being intergrated into the die. The fact Intel could match the K8 without doing this is impressive. Better performance, lower power useage and improved FPU/registers for gaming and SSE, SSE2, SSE3 optimisations as well as SSE4 most probably. Conroe doesn't need to rely on SSE optimisations to beat the K8... because it's x87 FPU is pretty powerful on it's own.

It's an amazing processor design.

... you proceed to sound like a phuking Intel sales rep. Unbelievable.
a b à CPUs
March 13, 2006 3:31:41 PM

Quote:

I'm not sounding like an Intel Sales rep.. how dare you accuse me of this. I can talk about the architectures because I understand them.. you on the other hand... :lol: 

I posted true, precise and correct statements based on all of the facts and evidence available to us. As well as Engineering sample tests of AMD's AM2 and Intel's Conroe. The feature list may sound like nothing to the average user but to those of us who study processors Intel's steps are VERY VERY aggressive. They're set to release, in Conroe, a processor that is quite unique & innovative that pushes the industry 8 steps ahead. It's entirely built on 128bit wide registers (most processors are still using 16 such as AMD's K8). the only time current processors use 128bit registers is when they execute SSE/2/3 code. x87 FPU intensive tasks are still limited to 16.

cunninglinguist... you only play games on the blasted things... you probably don't even know what a register is/does.. :p 

Careful who you accuse, because they might just know what they're talking about and you start to look like an idiot.
March 13, 2006 4:08:33 PM

Quote:

Regards,

AMD AM2 Eng Sample Benchmarked

There more to it then you think. AM2 will use DDR-II. Anyone who knows how the K8's intergrated memory controller works knows this to be a LARGE mistake.

Have you tried changing the option in teh BIOS to 2T command rate and then benchmarking? You'll lose about 1,000MB/sec of memory bandwidth and about 5% in performance.

AMD2 will NOT be close to enough to challenge Conroe. Remember the Conroe tested was the mainstream version (budget) and the Athlon64 X2 tested was an idea of the highend processor AMD will have by then.
You have to take this into account. Before stating that we cannot extrapolate an idea of what performance will be like.

I can.. always have. ;)  I'm not asking to discuss this. I'm TELLING you this is how it's going to be. AMD will counter in 2007. The end of 2006 will belong to Intel.

I wish I were as intelligent and all-knowing as you seem to be. I come from Missouri, otherwise known as the "Show-Me State". So until you "show-me" I don't believe anything. I kind of reminds me of the techies who overclocked the P4 to 5GHz with Liquid Nitrogen cooling, yes it was awesome, yes it blew everything on the market completely away, but it wasn't practical for everyday use. It was way too expensive. So until I see a Conroe on Newegg.com, Tigerdirect.com, Best Buy stores shelves, etc. for $528 that blows away the FX-62 (priced at $1000) by 40% in benchmark tests, by independent testers. I will reserve my judement.

As I have said before, I couldn't be happier. If Conroe is all that is promised, I will very soon by buying an FX-60 and SLi Mobo combo on eBay for about $200. I would be tickled pink. :D 

Regards,
March 13, 2006 5:11:29 PM

Quote:
cunninglinguist... you only play games on the blasted things... you probably don't even know what a register is/does.. :p 

Why the personal attack buddy?
How do you know anything about me?
1) I don't play games.
2) I understand plenty about processor architecture
3) And, I believe you are the one who needs a bit of education.

Quote:
They're set to release, in Conroe, a processor that is quite unique & innovative that pushes the industry 8 steps ahead.

8 steps? really? how long have you been following computer architecture?
Anyone remember when intel released the pentium pro?
I think that pushed the industry like 42 steps ahead (or was it one?).

Quote:
It's entirely built on 128bit wide registers (most processors are still using 16 such as AMD's K8 ).

Really? According to extremetech

Quote:
SSE registers are 128 bits wide, but in the past, data paths within the CPU were 64 bits wide. That meant that SSE instructions would take two cycles... So, SSE instructions can now execute in a single cycle.

As far as 16-bit registers in the K8, I have no idea what you are talking about.
Here's a diagram, perhaps you can explain it.

For more info on K8 architecture, try here and here

One last quote:
Quote:
Careful who you accuse, because they might just know what they're talking about and you start to look like an idiot.
March 13, 2006 6:12:34 PM

Quote:

I'm not sounding like an Intel Sales rep.. how dare you accuse me of this. I can talk about the architectures because I understand them.. you on the other hand... :lol: 

I posted true, precise and correct statements based on all of the facts and evidence available to us. As well as Engineering sample tests of AMD's AM2 and Intel's Conroe. The feature list may sound like nothing to the average user but to those of us who study processors Intel's steps are VERY VERY aggressive. They're set to release, in Conroe, a processor that is quite unique & innovative that pushes the industry 8 steps ahead. It's entirely built on 128bit wide registers (most processors are still using 16 such as AMD's K8). the only time current processors use 128bit registers is when they execute SSE/2/3 code. x87 FPU intensive tasks are still limited to 16.

I have to say this...you sir....are funny as hell!! LOL! Even I don't go around flaunting off like "I know it all! You newbs suck!" but you sir, you are one of a kind. I severly doubt you know anything about computer architectures, going to wikipedia.org and memorizing what they say, doesn't make you an expert son. I could sit here all day and sound like I know everything about computers, but that just proves 2 things: 1) I have no life, and 2) I can google good.

You have proven to me a few things:

1) You are arrogant as no other
2) You are young
3) You don't know enough about architectures to be talking about them
4) You're ignorant as no other
5) bah, too much to type...

Since you are all knowing, I bet you can explain what a register is...oh wait, so can Wikipedia.org, darn!

You need to check yourself, this is not a flame but a friendly reminder, these forums are to help people, not to say "I know more than you so bow down to me".

March 13, 2006 10:30:11 PM

Quote:

I've got an X2 3800+ boosted with a mild overclock to 2.2 ghz on an MSI Nforce 4 board, Neo 4, 1 gb dual channel ram, mid-level video.
Still using the 6600 GT PCI-E card I bought a few months ago. It's working fine and I just can't bring myself to spend more than $200 for a new video card.

No immediate upgrades planned. When Bethesda's Morrowind sequel, Oblivion, comes out, I might upgrade the video to something in the 7800 series, or maybe I'll go with ATI, not sure. We'll see how well the card I've got now handles it.
I'm also considering upgrading my RAM (2 x 512mb dual channel, mid-level decent Kingston stuff) to 2 gigs (dual 1 gig sticks).
Not high-end, but good enough.

I was thinking along similar lines, I am thinking opteron 165/170 with an Abit board, an AIW 1900 card, and maybe 2 x 1GB RAM to replace my 2/4 x 512 that I have now.

I figure that will put me through at least end of '07 for what I use the PC for.
      • 1 / 2
      • Newest
Related resources
!