I Give Up!

October 1, 2004 6:32:27 PM

Since I can't get any response at all on the iPAQ/Outlook problem which I
posted under the subject "iPAQ h6315 - Outlook 2002", I got a return
authorization code and am returning the iPAQ h6315 to HP. I only posted here
after I read several posts about this PPC which told me there was some
knowledge of use with it. What a disappointment. I love the unit but am
returning it because it is of no use to me without Outlook.

--
Hugs, Gayle
gpounds@poundworks.com

More about : give

Anonymous
October 1, 2004 6:32:28 PM

First, sorry you didn't have the time to wait for input...

your only two posts here were made yesterday and you need to understand
that answers come from unpaid volunteer users who do not work for microsoft

fwiw, your problem is probably addressable and appears to be the
misunderstanding that sync is done with "Outlook" and _not_ "Outlook
Express" which has almost nothing in common with Outlook other than the
name.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
October 1, 2004 7:01:43 PM

Beverly, I do understand the nature of this news group. I also know the
difference between "Outlook" _and_ "Outlook Express". But, when I try to
open Outlook on my notebook computer, after having successfully installed
it, according to all indications, it refuses to open BECAUSE, as the error
message says, Outlook requires Outlook Express v4.01 or greater in order to
work. Outlook Express v 5.50 is working quite well on this notebook computer
and my question was: How do I get Outlook to recognize that fact.

--
Gayle Pounds

message news:ejgWlY8pEHA.2948@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
: First, sorry you didn't have the time to wait for input...
:
: your only two posts here were made yesterday and you need to understand
: that answers come from unpaid volunteer users who do not work for
microsoft
:
: fwiw, your problem is probably addressable and appears to be the
: misunderstanding that sync is done with "Outlook" and _not_ "Outlook
: Express" which has almost nothing in common with Outlook other than the
: name.
:
: Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
October 1, 2004 7:01:44 PM

>> the error message says, Outlook requires Outlook Express v4.01 or
greater in order to work <<

That is an invalid message for whatever reason related to the ppc... the
only connection that I have ever seen between outlook and outlook
express is the fact that outlook launches OE when a newsgroup address is
entered.

Some more details would help... from the information in your post and
private response, would assume that you are not a computer newbie, but
exact steps to get to that message would be helpful along with posting a
screenshot of the error dialogue in the
microsoft.public.pocketpc.binaries section.

You might also check the properties of the shortcut that is opening outlook

Could it have been either an incomplete install or an install without
admin login?

What version of activesync is installed on the notebook and was it
installed before or after the outlook install?

While there is an issue with that specific device, the fact that you had
it working with your desktop would indicate that it should work with
your laptop.

Beverly Howard
Anonymous
October 1, 2004 7:59:09 PM

Beverly, thanks for your posts. As I stated in my original post, my notebook
uses Win ME but the system requirements on the 6315 box says it works with
WinME as well as 98, XP and 2000. Whether I use the desktop shortcut or use
Start>Programs to launch Outlook, I get the same message. As instructed in
the manual and in the opening screen when the installation CD is launched, I
installed Outlook first, then ActiveSync then plugged in the unit cradle.
And, as stated, also, after Outlook installation, a message appeared on the
screen that it was successfully installed.

The notebook is a Pentium III, 1.2 ghz with plenty of hard drive space,
working USB ports and is plugged into electrical wall socket as opposed to
running on battery power. It is operating properly in every other way.

--
Gayle

message news:uv2p0u8pEHA.3900@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
[...]
October 1, 2004 8:03:24 PM

Sorry, I failed to respond to the first paragraph. It's a moot point whether
the error message is invalid or not if it prevents me from opening Outlook
to use with the ppc.........so it is directly related my use of to the ppc
because of that. The error message is the problem whether it's invalid or
not........whatever the problem, it is preventing Outlook from opening which
is vital for using the ppc.

--
Gayle
gpounds@poundworks.com

message news:uv2p0u8pEHA.3900@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
: >> the error message says, Outlook requires Outlook Express v4.01 or
: greater in order to work <<
:
: That is an invalid message for whatever reason related to the ppc... the
: only connection that I have ever seen between outlook and outlook
: express is the fact that outlook launches OE when a newsgroup address is
: entered.
Anonymous
October 1, 2004 8:37:17 PM

"gpounds" <gpounds@insightbb.com> wrote in news:h9f7d.301916$Fg5.255659
@attbi_s53:

> my notebook uses Win ME

Seriously, step 1 is to stop using win ME

Scott
Anonymous
October 1, 2004 9:41:38 PM

You know, I never had any trouble iwth ME either on a desktop or this
notebook. I seriously liked it better than XP. I know lots of people hated
it and had nothing but troubles with it but not me.

--
Gayle

"Scott Seidman" <namdiesttocs@mindspring.com> wrote in message
: "gpounds" <gpounds@insightbb.com> wrote in news:h9f7d.301916$Fg5.255659
: @attbi_s53:
:
: > my notebook uses Win ME
:
: Seriously, step 1 is to stop using win ME
:
: Scott
:
Anonymous
October 1, 2004 9:47:39 PM

"gpounds" <gpounds@insightbb.com> wrote in news:h9f7d.301916$Fg5.255659
@attbi_s53:

> Beverly, thanks for your posts. As I stated in my original post, my
notebook
> uses Win ME but the system requirements on the 6315 box says it works
with
> WinME as well as 98, XP and 2000. Whether I use the desktop shortcut or
use
> Start>Programs to launch Outlook, I get the same message. As instructed
in
> the manual and in the opening screen when the installation CD is
launched, I
> installed Outlook first, then ActiveSync then plugged in the unit
cradle.
> And, as stated, also, after Outlook installation, a message appeared on
the
> screen that it was successfully installed.
>
> The notebook is a Pentium III, 1.2 ghz with plenty of hard drive space,
> working USB ports and is plugged into electrical wall socket as opposed
> running on battery power. It is operating properly in every other way.

I didn't read your original post, since I didn't think I might be of help
since I don't know anything about the 6315. But the title "I give up"
drew my attraction. Sounds beyond desperation....

I know that the Outlook that came on the CD which I got when buying my
2210 didn't work on my laptop either, which is a full functional laptop
with Win XP home. Bought a 2210, installed the Outlook on that CD,
installed Activesync, connected the two, just like described in the
accompanying manual and: Nope. Nada, Nothing.
So I uninstalled the Outlook again and continued useing Outlook 2000,
which I got because it is part of the Office-package. And that one
cooperates just fine with activesync and my 2210.

So: if you have another version of Outlook at hand: use that one and omit
the one that came with your 6315. It may wel work smooth like you wish.

--
SoftSpot
softspot_ihatespam_brugge@hotmail.com

(just remove the spamstatement
and one underscore
to respond personally,
but please keep it friendly,
I'm only human too)
Anonymous
October 2, 2004 12:40:13 AM

Thank you! I will try that. I do have several versions of MS Office. Thanks
for your post.

--
Gayle

"SoftSpot" <softspot_ihatespam_brugge@hotmail.com> wrote in message
:
[...]
October 3, 2004 11:12:25 AM

"gpounds" <gpounds@insightbb.com> wrote in

<snip>

> preventing Outlook from opening which is vital for using the ppc.

It is ? Only think I use my PPC for is typing up a trip diary, GPS, Ogg
Vorbis Player and Starchart when out camping. I don't use Outlook for
anything on the PPC.

--
Trevor S

-Albert Einstein
Anonymous
October 3, 2004 3:20:49 PM

I should say if I want to be able to synchronize, it is vital. It is 100%
easier for me to use my computer keyboard than to input on the ppc. It's a
moot point because we've sent that one back and ordered a Dell X30 which has
been shipped. The phone is not really a big thing with me nor is the camera.
And, the X30 uses wireless which is available here so it should work fine
for me. Thanks for your response.

--
Gayle
gpounds@poundworks.com

: Trevor S wrote:
: It is ? Only think I use my PPC for is typing up a trip diary, GPS, Ogg
: Vorbis Player and Starchart when out camping. I don't use Outlook for
: anything on the PPC.
:
: --
: Trevor S
Anonymous
October 3, 2004 5:16:46 PM

> I should say if I want to be able to synchronize, it is vital.

I would disagree. Syncing is a waste of time (90% of the time it doesn;t
work when I cradle mine, I use the cradle to keep it charged up thats about
it). I do everthing via the SD card and a card reader, syncing doesn't
even sync the docsuments off the SD card :)  I thought you were havng
problmes with Outlook, not sycning per se ?

> It is
> 100% easier for me to use my computer keyboard than to input on the
> ppc.

I use an external keyboard when I am travelling, to keep a travel diary,
its about the size of a notebook keyboard. I don't use my ppc as an
organiser. I personally think as organisers a ppc is useless. My bluetooth
phone keeps my contacts list, whcih is updated via my PC at home, my paper
diary and pen are used for everything else in regards an "organiser".

Anyway, best of luck to you.

--
Trevor S

-Albert Einstein
Anonymous
October 8, 2004 8:42:29 PM

isn't returning and the HP and ordering the Dell, kind of like buying new
tires because you ran out of gas. the problem resides on your PC and
eventhough it is interfering with your ability to sync the PPC, changing
PPC's will not help you with your outlook problem? aren't you going to have
the same problem when you try to sync the Dell with your PC that won't run
outlook ???

: Trevor S wrote:
: It is ? Only think I use my PPC for is typing up a trip diary, GPS, Ogg
: Vorbis Player and Starchart when out camping. I don't use Outlook for
: anything on the PPC.
:
: --
: Trevor S
Anonymous
October 21, 2004 11:00:17 AM

Hi,

I hope you didn't return your iPaq yet, it is a great PDA. I have had
it for two weeks and I'm so happy with it and haven't had any issues
so far.

I have one questions regarding your issue, do you know which one of
the Outlook versions (Express or 2002) is your default e-mail client?
That could be the problem. To check that do the following:

1. Open Outlook 2002
2. Click Tools menu
3. Click Options
4. Select tab Other
5. Click on Advanced Options button.
6. Look for the checkbox: Make Outlook the default program ...

If is not checked then enable this option so ActiveSync will use O2002
as the default for Synchronization.

Hope it helps!
Jhon
!