Graphic card help, and cooler

dudeofdahouse

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2005
Hi guys i have an XFX Geforce 6800Gt , and this is the thing , my graphic card shuts down anytime i go on game becuase of fan and cooling is VERY IMPORTANT TO ME.
so i ether can get an 7800GS with normal fan or nice fan which i found these 2 pretty good...
one is zalman FV-700 http://www.xpcgear.com/vf700culed.html
or the beautilful Arctic Cooling NV Silencer 5 http://www.xpcgear.com/vgasavcnv5.html

the price doesnt matter , nothing matters EXEPT FOR COOLING! have alot of room...
which is deal get nice fan or just get an 7800GS ?
thanks

MTLink

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2005
If you get a 7800GS, there are no guarantees that the fan will be quiet and cool. You'll have to find some reviews on a particular brand and the hunt for that one, which may be more expensive than others.

I'd say just get a new cooler. Unless you want F.E.A.R. at 1600x1200 or something crazy like that, a 7800GS is just too overpriced for the performance. On AGP, the 6800GT is one of the best cards out there right now. Just replace the cooler.

As for which one, it's up to you. If I remember correctly the Zalman is a LITTLE noisier than the AC one at max rotation speed. However, if you want eye candy, the VF-700Cu has an optional LED model that you can get to really spice up that window in your case. Both coolers do an excellent job of keeping the temperatures down.

Action_Man

Splendid
Jan 7, 2004
I have the same card (and brand!) and mine was running hot so I got the silencer, works a treat and its very quiet except at boot up where it spins up to max speed then slows down to the appropiate speed. Highly recommended.

cleeve

Illustrious
What are your card temps? Why are you convinced it's a cooling issue?

The 6800GT is a 16-pipe part and the 7800 GS is a 16-pipe part. Both share almost identical technology, but the 7800 GS is clocked higher... not an ideal upgrade scenario, in many cases you won't see a performance difference.
It'll be like upgrading to a 6800 Ultra from a 6800 GT.

MarkG

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2004
If you get a 7800GS, there are no guarantees that the fan will be quiet and cool. You'll have to find some reviews on a particular brand and the hunt for that one, which may be more expensive than others.

My XFX 7800GS ('Extreme Edition') is quiet enough for me and runs in the low 50s Centigrade when playing games in a window: I can't tell how hot it is in full-screen games as I can't see the temperature display in the control panel, but it's still in the low 50s when exiting the games.

That said, it has two case fans blowing air pretty much directly onto it, and two just above sucking air out, so that probably helps.