Canon Pixma IP3000 printer ink question

Basically, I`m looking at getting one of these printers, but spotted 2
different black ink carts, the BCI-3eBk and the BCI-6. The BCI-3eBK seems
to be slightly more expensive than the BCI-6. Anyone got a clue what the
difference is?

Also, I was looking at an Epson R200 - is there any reason I should be
panicking to cancel my order for a Canon and go for the Epson?

--
What am I selling on ebay right now?
http://tinyurl.com/38yjc

    Simon Finnigan wrote:

    >Basically, I`m looking at getting one of these printers, but spotted 2
    >different black ink carts, the BCI-3eBk and the BCI-6. The BCI-3eBK seems
    >to be slightly more expensive than the BCI-6. Anyone got a clue what the
    >difference is?

    Yes, but it doesn't apply to the iP3000, which uses four ink tanks,
    specifically the BCI-3eBk and three BCI-6(c/m/y).

    The BCI-6b is a dye-based photo black. The BCI-3eBk is a pigment-based
    black for text. The 3e is larger and has a higher ink volume.

    >Also, I was looking at an Epson R200 - is there any reason I should be
    >panicking to cancel my order for a Canon and go for the Epson?

    Perhaps...have you considered the life expectancy of the printhead in
    the Canon printer and replacement cost?

    Personally I prefer the HP models because the printhead is part of the
    ink cartridge. You never have to worry about clogging or failure.

    I had a Canon i850 (previous model to the iP3000) and the printhead
    failed after only 4000 pages and 16 months. There are plenty of reports
    of printhead failures from other people. The cost of a replacement
    printhead is nearly the cost of a new printer, so it's not very cost
    effective.

    "Bill" <bill@c.a> wrote in message news:95ydnbFcDtfirE3cRVn-rQ@golden.net...
    > Simon Finnigan wrote:
    >
    > >Basically, I`m looking at getting one of these printers, but spotted 2
    > >different black ink carts, the BCI-3eBk and the BCI-6. The BCI-3eBK
    seems
    > >to be slightly more expensive than the BCI-6. Anyone got a clue what the
    > >difference is?
    >
    > Yes, but it doesn't apply to the iP3000, which uses four ink tanks,
    > specifically the BCI-3eBk and three BCI-6(c/m/y).
    >
    > The BCI-6b is a dye-based photo black. The BCI-3eBk is a pigment-based
    > black for text. The 3e is larger and has a higher ink volume.

    Ahh right, thanks for that. Seems a bit annoying being able to use both,
    but not being able to swap between mid-cartridge. What are you supposed to
    do regarding choosing between ink types if you`re printing out lots of
    documents with text and photos? :-)

    > >Also, I was looking at an Epson R200 - is there any reason I should be
    > >panicking to cancel my order for a Canon and go for the Epson?
    >
    > Perhaps...have you considered the life expectancy of the printhead in
    > the Canon printer and replacement cost?
    >
    > Personally I prefer the HP models because the printhead is part of the
    > ink cartridge. You never have to worry about clogging or failure.
    >
    > I had a Canon i850 (previous model to the iP3000) and the printhead
    > failed after only 4000 pages and 16 months. There are plenty of reports
    > of printhead failures from other people. The cost of a replacement
    > printhead is nearly the cost of a new printer, so it's not very cost
    > effective.

    I tend to do a lot of printing using compatible inks, and by the time the
    inks have blocked the print head, the money saved on using the cheaper inks
    far outweighs the cost of buying a new printer :-) I`ve used HP in the
    past, but the inks are very expensive when you`re printing lots out,
    certainly compared to fair quality compatible inks. I moved to Epsons
    because of the availability of cheap inks, and now have a C64 that needs to
    either print out every day, or be cleaned when it`s not been used for a
    couple of days. No great hardship, I`ve gone through 15-20 sets of
    compatible inks on this printer, which must be a saving of hundreds of
    pounds, compared to £70 for a new IP3000.

    Does anyone have evidence one way or the other that regular (i.e. printing
    every day) using compatible inks does more damage/has a greater chance of
    blocking the head than printing less often? I`d imagine that very regular
    printing would help keep the heads clear, but I`ve got no evidence one way
    or the other.

    Thanks for your help.

    --

    Simon Finnigan wrote:

    >> Yes, but it doesn't apply to the iP3000, which uses four ink tanks,
    >> specifically the BCI-3eBk and three BCI-6(c/m/y).
    >>
    >> The BCI-6b is a dye-based photo black. The BCI-3eBk is a pigment-based
    >> black for text. The 3e is larger and has a higher ink volume.
    >
    >Ahh right, thanks for that. Seems a bit annoying being able to use both,
    >but not being able to swap between mid-cartridge.

    If you buy the iP3000 you can't use both nor swap black ink tanks - they
    are physically different sizes.

    The iP4000 uses both black cartridges.

    > What are you supposed to
    >do regarding choosing between ink types if you`re printing out lots of
    >documents with text and photos? :-)

    You print out the text and photos separately, or you live with it.
    :)

    >Does anyone have evidence one way or the other that regular (i.e. printing
    >every day) using compatible inks does more damage/has a greater chance of
    >blocking the head than printing less often? I`d imagine that very regular
    >printing would help keep the heads clear, but I`ve got no evidence one way
    >or the other.

    If you buy good quality inks, I don't think clogging is any worse than
    using the manufacturer's inks. It's the really cheap ink that causes
    problems.

    First I would not get the IP3000 but get the IP4000. The IP4000 takes
    both black cartridges. The BCI-6 contains dye ink and is used in
    printing photos. It enhances the contrast. The IP3000 does not use
    this cartridge being a 4 cartridge printer. The other black cartridge
    contains pigmented ink and is used for business printing. The proper
    one is selected by the print driver.

    For a few bucks more, when on sale, the IP4000 is better.

    Simon Finnigan wrote:

    >Basically, I`m looking at getting one of these printers, but spotted 2
    >different black ink carts, the BCI-3eBk and the BCI-6. The BCI-3eBK seems
    >to be slightly more expensive than the BCI-6. Anyone got a clue what the
    >difference is?
    >
    >Also, I was looking at an Epson R200 - is there any reason I should be
    >panicking to cancel my order for a Canon and go for the Epson?

    <head>
    <title></title>
    </head>
    I hear much of the same thing.  But in many if not most of the cases of
    print head failure due to clogging, the user did not ALWAYS use factory
    ink all of the time.  There may be additives in the factory ink that
    clean the head.  I do not know but it is a possibility.<br>
    Bill wrote:<br>
    <pre wrap="">Simon Finnigan wrote:

    </pre>
    <pre wrap="">Basically, I`m looking at getting one of these printers, but spotted 2
    different black ink carts, the BCI-3eBk and the BCI-6. The BCI-3eBK seems
    to be slightly more expensive than the BCI-6. Anyone got a clue what the
    difference is?
    </pre>
    <pre wrap=""><!---->
    Yes, but it doesn't apply to the iP3000, which uses four ink tanks,
    specifically the BCI-3eBk and three BCI-6(c/m/y).

    The BCI-6b is a dye-based photo black. The BCI-3eBk is a pigment-based
    black for text. The 3e is larger and has a higher ink volume.

    </pre>
    <pre wrap="">Also, I was looking at an Epson R200 - is there any reason I should be

    measekite wrote:

    >!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
    >html>
    >head>

    Please turn off HTML...newsgroups are text based and this extraneous
    stuff makes it hard to read your post.

    >I hear much of the same thing.  But in many if not most of the cases of
    >print head failure due to clogging, the user did not ALWAYS use factory
    >ink all of the time.  There may be additives in the factory ink that
    >clean the head.  I do not know but it is a possibility.<br>

    I don't think the ink makes any difference.

    I used third-party bulk ink and refill kits. But a friend who has an
    i550 used nothing but genuine Canon ink tanks and his printhead failed
    in a year and a half after a measly 2500 pages. There are quite a few
    reports of other failures using just Canon ink too.

    By the way, we're not talking about just clogging of the printhead
    nozzles here. By failure, we mean the head died and will not print
    anything at all. On my printer, the printing stopped mid-page and the
    lights on top started flashing indicating a printhead error. My friend's
    printer did not show any error codes, but it stopped printing mid-page
    as well.

    What ticked me off the most, is that Canon didn't want to admit they
    made a marketing error when promoting their printheads as being
    semi-permanent and lasting "the life of the printer". Clearly the heads
    are not designed to last as long as they said, and Canon has since
    changed their tune. They now say the printhead life expectancy is good
    for 5,000-10,000 pages which is a big difference. Had I known that, I
    wouldn't have bought the i850 in the first place since head replacement
    cost is too high and must be factored into the lifetime running costs.

    I recommended Canon last year when it was working well, but not anymore.
    I've gone back to HP printers and will not buy Canon again.

    > First I would not get the IP3000 but get the IP4000. The IP4000 takes
    > both black cartridges. The BCI-6 contains dye ink and is used in
    > printing photos. It enhances the contrast. The IP3000 does not use
    > this cartridge being a 4 cartridge printer. The other black cartridge
    > contains pigmented ink and is used for business printing. The proper
    > one is selected by the print driver.
    >
    > For a few bucks more, when on sale, the IP4000 is better.

    It`s new printer time right now, and the price difference is about £40. I`m
    getting the IP3000 for about £73, the IP4000 is £111. That`s a BIG price
    difference for slightly blacker blacks when printing reports. Most of the
    stuff I print out for my own use is to be read by myself and a few others,
    quality isn`t a massive issue (I`m not trying to get work based on these
    prints). For printing on CD`s and DVD`s, and covers to look fairly good
    (got a friend who records his own music, and sometimes does videos, and he
    likes having friends duplicate etc them for him), maybe 100 covers a month
    (and therefore 100 CD`s/DVD`s), and maybe another 50 pages of work, is it
    really worth that extra cash? That £40 difference is enough to pay for
    about 6-8 sets of compatible inks (using a brand I use for my Epson and am
    very happy with).

    Anyone seen prints from both these printers side by side - is it really
    worth £40 extra for better results using normal paper? How much faster is
    the IP4000 than the IP3000 in the real world - fast enough to make a big
    difference on a 50 page printing run?

    Simon Finnigan wrote:
    > "measekite" <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> First I would not get the IP3000 but get the IP4000. The IP4000
    >> takes both black cartridges. The BCI-6 contains dye ink and is used
    >> in printing photos. It enhances the contrast. The IP3000 does not
    >> use this cartridge being a 4 cartridge printer. The other black
    >> cartridge contains pigmented ink and is used for business printing.
    >> The proper one is selected by the print driver.
    >>
    >> For a few bucks more, when on sale, the IP4000 is better.
    >
    > It`s new printer time right now, and the price difference is about
    > £40. I`m getting the IP3000 for about £73, the IP4000 is £111.
    > That`s a BIG price difference for slightly blacker blacks when
    > printing reports. Most of the stuff I print out for my own use is to
    > be read by myself and a few others, quality isn`t a massive issue
    > (I`m not trying to get work based on these prints). For printing on
    > CD`s and DVD`s, and covers to look fairly good (got a friend who
    > records his own music, and sometimes does videos, and he likes
    > having friends duplicate etc them for him), maybe 100 covers a month
    > (and therefore 100 CD`s/DVD`s), and maybe another 50 pages of work,
    > is it really worth that extra cash? That £40 difference is enough to
    > pay for about 6-8 sets of compatible inks (using a brand I use for my
    > Epson and am very happy with).
    >
    > Anyone seen prints from both these printers side by side - is it
    > really worth £40 extra for better results using normal paper? How
    > much faster is the IP4000 than the IP3000 in the real world - fast
    > enough to make a big difference on a 50 page printing run?

    Let me drop in...
    First, that extra black cart not only make slightly more black, but also
    much better photos. And now we're at most important decision - do you plan
    to print photos? If not, forget 4000, as you won't need extra black, since
    that one only spits out in high quality mode on photo paper. If yes, it is
    worthed that extra cash. I've had i550 (4 carts) and now 4000 - difference
    is really big. Speed is i think the same on both models.

    Regarding what Bill said elsewhere...

    True...heads do die...on my i550 died after appr. 18 months...but since i
    refilled (and this IS the most easy on canon carts) in this time i not only
    saved for a new one, but i even gained. Sure, i'd gain more if my i550
    would still run...somehow i strongly doubt it ws ink's fault - it wasn't
    some cheap one or universal...
    but to be honest, Epson owners do report about head clogging beyond repair,
    too... and what's more, in that case (supposely) head can't be replaced, not
    to mention that in Canon head replacement is just not worthed, so we're
    again at the same spot.

    Let's say this...if my current 4000 dies in about same period, THEN i will
    seriously consider about some Epson or HP... (i hope they will become faster
    until that time :-)) you know, once is accidentally, twice is goodbye...
    But, i've had two Lexmarks and carts are AWFULLY expensive, so from that
    time i just don't like carts with integrated heads.
    Why did i have two? Because when my first went out of ink, it was cheaper to
    buy a new one (with 2 carts included) than buy just one cart separately.
    Then i was tired of buying a new printer each time...

    "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
    > Simon Finnigan wrote:
    > > "measekite" <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > >> First I would not get the IP3000 but get the IP4000. The IP4000
    > >> takes both black cartridges. The BCI-6 contains dye ink and is used
    > >> in printing photos. It enhances the contrast. The IP3000 does not
    > >> use this cartridge being a 4 cartridge printer. The other black
    > >> cartridge contains pigmented ink and is used for business printing.
    > >> The proper one is selected by the print driver.
    > >>
    > >> For a few bucks more, when on sale, the IP4000 is better.
    > >
    > > It`s new printer time right now, and the price difference is about
    > > £40. I`m getting the IP3000 for about £73, the IP4000 is £111.
    > > That`s a BIG price difference for slightly blacker blacks when
    > > printing reports. Most of the stuff I print out for my own use is to
    > > be read by myself and a few others, quality isn`t a massive issue
    > > (I`m not trying to get work based on these prints). For printing on
    > > CD`s and DVD`s, and covers to look fairly good (got a friend who
    > > records his own music, and sometimes does videos, and he likes
    > > having friends duplicate etc them for him), maybe 100 covers a month
    > > (and therefore 100 CD`s/DVD`s), and maybe another 50 pages of work,
    > > is it really worth that extra cash? That £40 difference is enough to
    > > pay for about 6-8 sets of compatible inks (using a brand I use for my
    > > Epson and am very happy with).
    > >
    > > Anyone seen prints from both these printers side by side - is it
    > > really worth £40 extra for better results using normal paper? How
    > > much faster is the IP4000 than the IP3000 in the real world - fast
    > > enough to make a big difference on a 50 page printing run?
    >
    > Let me drop in...
    > First, that extra black cart not only make slightly more black, but also
    > much better photos. And now we're at most important decision - do you plan
    > to print photos? If not, forget 4000, as you won't need extra black, since
    > that one only spits out in high quality mode on photo paper. If yes, it is
    > worthed that extra cash. I've had i550 (4 carts) and now 4000 - difference
    > is really big. Speed is i think the same on both models.

    Well, I found out that the IP4000 was on the high street for £100, which is
    a much smaller difference than before. Plus it meant I got my hands on the
    printer today, rather than waiting ages for it to be delivered. I`ve
    printed out a few photo`s, and am truly impressed by the quality. The text
    is OK, the duplexing has come in handy already, so all in all I`m impressed
    with this little beauty!

    > True...heads do die...on my i550 died after appr. 18 months...but since i
    > refilled (and this IS the most easy on canon carts) in this time i not
    only
    > saved for a new one, but i even gained. Sure, i'd gain more if my i550
    > would still run...somehow i strongly doubt it ws ink's fault - it wasn't
    > some cheap one or universal...
    > but to be honest, Epson owners do report about head clogging beyond
    repair,
    > too... and what's more, in that case (supposely) head can't be replaced,
    not
    > to mention that in Canon head replacement is just not worthed, so we're
    > again at the same spot.

    I`ve had Epsons clog up on me a few times, but when you`ve gone through 20
    sets of compatible inks, who cares? I worked it out for a friend, getting
    through a single set of compatibles, throwing the printer away and buying a
    new one was cheaper than using Epson inks, so after 20 sets, there`s some
    serious money been saved there. The Canon original inks seem to be cheaper,
    but the compatibles are much cheaper again, so I`ll stick with getting the
    compatibles from the place I got my Epsons from. They seem to do good
    quality ink, and apparently even give your printer a service if their ink
    knackered the head. Never bothered taking them up on the offer, but you
    never know :-)

    > Let's say this...if my current 4000 dies in about same period, THEN i will
    > seriously consider about some Epson or HP... (i hope they will become
    faster
    > until that time :-)) you know, once is accidentally, twice is goodbye...
    > But, i've had two Lexmarks and carts are AWFULLY expensive, so from that
    > time i just don't like carts with integrated heads.
    > Why did i have two? Because when my first went out of ink, it was cheaper
    > buy a new one (with 2 carts included) than buy just one cart separately.
    > Then i was tired of buying a new printer each time...

    I`m just getting rid of 5 of those £10 Dell printers, rebadged Lexmarks.
    Buy cheap Lexmark compatible ink, snap a tiny bit of plastic off the cart
    holder, and time to save 50% on a refil. They`re going to friends who don`t
    print much, so the "expensive" ink doesn`t bother them. The ink is cheap
    for them, but compared to £7.50 for a complete set of 5 inks for my new
    Canon, it`s expensive for me :-)

    Thanks everyone for thier help - I`m glad I went for the higher model, but
    I`m very impressed with the printer anyway. Well reccomended!

    --

    Simon Finnigan wrote:
    > Well, I found out that the IP4000 was on the high street for £100,
    > which is a much smaller difference than before. Plus it meant I got
    > my hands on the printer today, rather than waiting ages for it to be
    > delivered. I`ve printed out a few photo`s, and am truly impressed by
    > the quality. The text is OK, the duplexing has come in handy
    > already, so all in all I`m impressed with this little beauty!

    told ya...!!!

    > I`ve had Epsons clog up on me a few times, but when you`ve gone
    > through 20 sets of compatible inks, who cares? I worked it out for a
    > friend, getting through a single set of compatibles, throwing the
    > printer away and buying a new one was cheaper than using Epson inks,
    > so after 20 sets, there`s some serious money been saved there. The
    > Canon original inks seem to be cheaper, but the compatibles are much
    > cheaper again, so I`ll stick with getting the compatibles from the
    > place I got my Epsons from. They seem to do good quality ink, and
    > apparently even give your printer a service if their ink knackered
    > the head. Never bothered taking them up on the offer, but you never
    > know :-)

    Even cheaper is to buy only ink set from some good reseller. Refilling carts
    by yourself can't be easier - just drill a small hole at the top where ink
    reservoir is, fill ink and seal the hole with electrical tape. voila!!!

    > Simon Finnigan wrote:
    > > Well, I found out that the IP4000 was on the high street for £100,
    > > which is a much smaller difference than before. Plus it meant I got
    > > my hands on the printer today, rather than waiting ages for it to be
    > > delivered. I`ve printed out a few photo`s, and am truly impressed by
    > > the quality. The text is OK, the duplexing has come in handy
    > > already, so all in all I`m impressed with this little beauty!
    >
    > told ya...!!!

    When the difference was £40 and the same delay, I couldn`t convince myself
    it ws worth the money. Less than £30, and having the printer there and
    then - that`s much easier case for convincing myself that it`s a good idea
    :-)

    > > I`ve had Epsons clog up on me a few times, but when you`ve gone
    > > through 20 sets of compatible inks, who cares? I worked it out for a
    > > friend, getting through a single set of compatibles, throwing the
    > > printer away and buying a new one was cheaper than using Epson inks,
    > > so after 20 sets, there`s some serious money been saved there. The
    > > Canon original inks seem to be cheaper, but the compatibles are much
    > > cheaper again, so I`ll stick with getting the compatibles from the
    > > place I got my Epsons from. They seem to do good quality ink, and
    > > apparently even give your printer a service if their ink knackered
    > > the head. Never bothered taking them up on the offer, but you never
    > > know :-)
    >

    > Even cheaper is to buy only ink set from some good reseller. Refilling
    carts
    > by yourself can't be easier - just drill a small hole at the top where ink
    > reservoir is, fill ink and seal the hole with electrical tape. voila!!!

    I don`t get as much spare time as I`d like, and the thought of messing about
    with ink like this when a new cart is £1.50 doesn`t appeal. It takes
    minutes to earn that much money, and I ALWAYS end up spilling ink
    everywhere. You can say it`s as easy as you like, me and ink are mortal
    enemies :-)

    --

    Simon Finnigan wrote:
    > "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
    >> Simon Finnigan wrote:
    >>> Well, I found out that the IP4000 was on the high street for £100,
    >>> which is a much smaller difference than before. Plus it meant I got
    >>> my hands on the printer today, rather than waiting ages for it to be
    >>> delivered. I`ve printed out a few photo`s, and am truly impressed
    >>> by the quality. The text is OK, the duplexing has come in handy
    >>> already, so all in all I`m impressed with this little beauty!
    >>
    >> told ya...!!!
    >
    > When the difference was £40 and the same delay, I couldn`t convince
    > myself it ws worth the money. Less than £30, and having the printer
    > there and then - that`s much easier case for convincing myself that
    > it`s a good idea :-)
    >
    >>> I`ve had Epsons clog up on me a few times, but when you`ve gone
    >>> through 20 sets of compatible inks, who cares? I worked it out for
    >>> a friend, getting through a single set of compatibles, throwing the
    >>> printer away and buying a new one was cheaper than using Epson inks,
    >>> so after 20 sets, there`s some serious money been saved there. The
    >>> Canon original inks seem to be cheaper, but the compatibles are much
    >>> cheaper again, so I`ll stick with getting the compatibles from the
    >>> place I got my Epsons from. They seem to do good quality ink, and
    >>> apparently even give your printer a service if their ink knackered
    >>> the head. Never bothered taking them up on the offer, but you never
    >>> know :-)
    >>

    >> Even cheaper is to buy only ink set from some good reseller.
    >> Refilling carts by yourself can't be easier - just drill a small
    >> hole at the top where ink reservoir is, fill ink and seal the hole
    >> with electrical tape. voila!!!
    >

    > I don`t get as much spare time as I`d like, and the thought of
    > messing about with ink like this when a new cart is £1.50 doesn`t
    > appeal. It takes minutes to earn that much money, and I ALWAYS end
    > up spilling ink everywhere. You can say it`s as easy as you like, me
    > and ink are mortal enemies :-)

    hahaha...in this case, you have the point...although the cart is filled in
    less than one minute, you CAN spill ink around, sure...

    "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrotenews:SsOAd.7560$F6.1314453
    @news.siol.net:

    >> I don`t get as much spare time as I`d like, and the thought of
    >> messing about with ink like this when a new cart is £1.50 doesn`t
    >> appeal. It takes minutes to earn that much money, and I ALWAYS end
    >> up spilling ink everywhere. You can say it`s as easy as you like, me
    >> and ink are mortal enemies :-)
    >
    > hahaha...in this case, you have the point...although the cart is filled in
    > less than one minute, you CAN spill ink around, sure...

    Watcha do is buy one of those refill kits with the syringe the first time,
    then just the bulk inks later and reuse the syringe.

    Takes me about 4 minutes to fill all the carts that way.

    --
    ---Mapanari---

Printers Pixma Canon Epson Peripherals