How to selectively copy files?

How do I selectively copy files and folders from one place to another such
that only the files and subdirectories that are new or changed are copied?
I want to copy new/changed files from a hard disk drive to a USB memory
stick so that they will be the same, but there is no need to waste the time
to copy the entire subdirectory; Is there a "paste-special" (or something)
for file copying in Windows XP?
2 answers Last reply
More about selectively copy files

    Also, XCOPY /U will update only the ones that need it.

    --
    JerryM (ID)

    MURPHY'S COMPUTER LAW
    A man who can smile when things go wrong,
    has thought of someone he can blame it on.

    "Richard Ahlvin" <rahlvin@magnolia.net> wrote in message news:eILJTx6jEHA.1644@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > How do I selectively copy files and folders from one place to another such
    > that only the files and subdirectories that are new or changed are copied?
    > I want to copy new/changed files from a hard disk drive to a USB memory
    > stick so that they will be the same, but there is no need to waste the time
    > to copy the entire subdirectory; Is there a "paste-special" (or something)
    > for file copying in Windows XP?

    xxcopy.exe will do it for yuou. Do a Google to locate a
    source. It's free. Yes, there are TWO x's there.

    "Richard Ahlvin" <rahlvin@magnolia.net> wrote in message
    > How do I selectively copy files and folders from one place
    > to another such
    > that only the files and subdirectories that are new or
    > changed are copied?
    > I want to copy new/changed files from a hard disk drive to
    > a USB memory
    > stick so that they will be the same, but there is no need
    > to waste the time
    > to copy the entire subdirectory; Is there a
    > "paste-special" (or something)
    > for file copying in Windows XP?

Windows XP