Conroe benchmarks a total lie ?

mforce2

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2006
I have an idea all of you might want to think about .
I'm Intel , I've really got nothing to show right now , AMD has 80% market share in the retail and it's not looking good at all .
Conroe is still 6 months away but it's a good chip , it doesn't have an amazing performance but it's not bad either . It's about the same level as an A64 right now . But that doesn't sound too amazing , does it ?
So here's the plan :
You take a hand picked Conroe that can do much more than stock , let's say something above 3 Ghz and put it on a rig you build to go against an overclocked FX-60 .
But since it's you setup and everything why not just tweak it a little bit . Leave the FX-60 be and even make it seem it has an advantage . Now for the Conroe some special BIOS tweaking would be nice , wouldn't it ? How about something that says the CPU is running at 2.66 Ghz even if it's at over 3 Ghz ? That would be nice , wouldn't it .
And there you go , you have some lovely benchmarks to show the press . They'll be impressed for sure , everyone will talk about it . You'll have some people change their minds , especially in the retail and wait for the awsome Conroe to come out . There goes some of AMD's 80 % .
I want some real stuff here people . Why couldn't Intel do this or something similar . The only one reason I can think of is that the truth will be out in 6 months but that's not a really good one . Conroe is going to be good enough by then even if I doubt it's going to be a monster and people tend to forget in time .
P.S. : Let's not forget the "modified" ATI driver Intel used on both platforms . We all know how well some video drivers can perform if they are tweaked a bit and if they recognize the Conroe for the speed monster it really is :lol: .

G

Stop spawning new thread about that!
As for the conspiracy theorist, I dont vbeliev it 1 second. Even then, the 3ghz part will probably be released before christmas and would be a good match to a FX-60 so it would end up being a tie.

I really beleive Intel wouldd'nt be soo foolish. Rember their OEM partner might already have a few chip to play with for upcoming PC's, what would they think?

mforce2

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2006
Stop spawning new thread about that!
And let Intel get away with it and the flamewars die ? no way .... :lol:
I really beleive Intel wouldd'nt be soo foolish. Rember their OEM partner might already have a few chip to play with for upcoming PC's, what would they think?

They would just think that Intel is well ..... Intel :lol: . Besides the fact that Intel wouldn't dare do it which I also said might be something anything else stopping them ?
Given that the Conroes is still 6 months away and pre-production models are not always the best performers I really find it hard to believe it all and I excuse me if I don't take Intel's word for it .
If I'll be proven wrong when Conroe comes out I'll make a post saying how wrong I was and how wonderfull the new Conroe is .

RichPLS

Champion
http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/02/21/a_look_at_amds_socket_am2_platform/page10.html

Could AMD's switch to DDR2 actually make it perform worse than DDR1 939 current offerings?

Well, it is obvious to me that AMD's current design is already about tapped out as far as MHz goes, and the AM2 chips are based on same relative design... So I don't expect to see much over 3GHz on this current technology... Which is going to be hard to compete performance-wise with Intels coming offerings...

rochin

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2006
http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/02/21/a_look_at_amds_socket_am2_platform/page10.html

Could AMD's switch to DDR2 actually make it perform worse than DDR1 939 current offerings?

Well, it is obvious to me that AMD's current design is already about tapped out as far as MHz goes, and the AM2 chips are based on same relative design... So I don't expect to see much over 3GHz on this current technology... Which is going to be hard to compete performance-wise with Intels coming offerings...

You have done your homework sir! The testing site that released the Conroe benchmarks has released all the specs of both systems. They have also redone the benchmarks. Guess what? The Conroe chip is still beating the AMD. Its a fair benchmark. As far as the AMD fanboys saying its all the DDR2 that makes the Conroe faster, what about my p4 550J thats set at is factory setting of 3.4 ghz. It runs on DDR2 ram and its is beat by alot of other AMD systems. Even if I had a x1900xtx my system would still loose to most of the upper end AMD systems. I cannot wait till a year from now when I can build a new system. The war for CPU god hood is far from over and Intels new chip makes the battle even more fun for the customer. Lower prices and faster chips, its all good.

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
The proof is in the pudding. There isn't pudding yet, so I'll wait till the Conroe comes out before believing the benchmarks with 100% certainty. It would be rather stupid for Intel to lie about performance differences, but you never know.

cisco

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2004
I don't believe they overclocked it but I do believe that they cherry picked the processor which all companies do. It's a lot easier to find one outstanding processor than to make a million of them. There is no doubt in my mind that Conroe will be a excellent processor. And if the performance gains hold true AMD will have their work cut out to make up the gain. At IDF Intel stole the show, AMD really disappointed everyone showing in their showing of the AM2, turion X2, socket F server processors. They really didn't tell us anything we didn't already know. And AM2 has already show that the performance boost isn't that impressive over current 939 socket. Don't get me wrong I am really hoping that they are walking quietly and carrying a big stick, I love AMD. And this info hasn't changed me, next month I will be buying a Opty 170 and MSI K8N Diamond Plus.