VPN clients catches ALL network traffic...

Hi,

I have the following problem: computer which connects to the office network
with Cisco VPN client (ethernet connection to router).

I also have 2nd ethernet card in this computer (IP 192.168.0.1) which
connects to a special TCP/IP labelprinter (cross-over ethernetcable
192.168.0.2).

The printer is working fine until I start the VPN connection. This VPN
"catches" all network traffic, so I can't even ping my printer anymore :-(

I tried re-arranging the networkcard priority (control panel/network -> menu
"advanced/advanced settings") of XP, but no luck... All traffic of the PC
goes to the office network...

Can someone please help me?

Thank you very much!
4 answers Last reply
More about clients catches network traffic

    John wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have the following problem: computer which connects to the office network
    > with Cisco VPN client (ethernet connection to router).
    >
    > I also have 2nd ethernet card in this computer (IP 192.168.0.1) which
    > connects to a special TCP/IP labelprinter (cross-over ethernetcable
    > 192.168.0.2).
    >
    > The printer is working fine until I start the VPN connection. This VPN
    > "catches" all network traffic, so I can't even ping my printer anymore :-(
    >
    > I tried re-arranging the networkcard priority (control panel/network -> menu
    > "advanced/advanced settings") of XP, but no luck... All traffic of the PC
    > goes to the office network...
    >
    > Can someone please help me?
    >
    > Thank you very much!

    Have you tried the windows "route" command?
    Kill the default route on the VPN virtual adapter using the route
    command? Just leave the route for the VPN network and let the other card
    do the default route?

    > Have you tried the windows "route" command?
    > Kill the default route on the VPN virtual adapter using the route command?
    > Just leave the route for the VPN network and let the other card do the
    > default route?

    Sounds interesting, since when the default gateway of the VPN would be gone,
    it should be fine - but I never tried this route command. Can you help me
    with the syntax?

    Thanks

    "John" <john@nospamplease.com> wrote in message
    > > Have you tried the windows "route" command?
    > > Kill the default route on the VPN virtual adapter using the route
    command?
    > > Just leave the route for the VPN network and let the other card do the
    > > default route?
    >
    > Sounds interesting, since when the default gateway of the VPN would be
    gone,
    > it should be fine - but I never tried this route command. Can you help me
    > with the syntax?
    >
    > Thanks

    from the command prompt: route /? will give you the options and syntax

    JAS

    John wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have the following problem: computer which connects to the office
    network
    > with Cisco VPN client (ethernet connection to router).
    >
    > I also have 2nd ethernet card in this computer (IP 192.168.0.1) which

    > connects to a special TCP/IP labelprinter (cross-over ethernetcable
    > 192.168.0.2).
    >
    > The printer is working fine until I start the VPN connection. This
    VPN
    > "catches" all network traffic, so I can't even ping my printer
    anymore :-(

    The second interface needs to be on a separate subnet from any VPN
    servers you are trying to reach. Most likely the Cisco client is
    "intercepting" the IP traffic and encrypting it because it believes it
    is a remote IP.

    Try changing your second interface to an address not likely to
    interfere with your office network (like 192.168.244.1 or 10.200.2.1).

vpn Ethernet Card Computers Networking