I'm getting two BFG 7900GTX 512MB Nvidia cards on Friday

JohnnyL8

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
Heh, was called by a retailer just now saying my order for two 7800GTX 512MB is cancelled and i could have two 7900GTX 512MB instead...arriving tomorrow (Friday 10th March). And I'll save £200 in the process because the new cards are cheaper - astonishingly. I was skeptical at first, but everything checked out. BFG OC ones too www.bfgtech.com! Well chuffed :D.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Nice!!! Don't forget to post a pic and results for us who can't afford to buy them cards. Im a BFG man as well but the Evga is the most powerful but BFG is just reliable and has lifetime warranty. So either of the two is a good deal. Good luck man and have fun with your new toy.

Hook the brother up!!! :D

twall

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2005
And the rich ones who think it is unnecessary to pay this much money two two video cards.

You can play every game out there with good enough settings with just one 6600 gt or 6800. Lets say 6600 gt is hundred bucks now and two 7900s are 1000. A year or two from now, 2 7900s are going to be 500 dollars. And then i am going to upgrade my computer to that and we will have the same cards, only if you didnt upgrade yours to 8900 already :lol: And i would spend only 600 dollars for my video cards expenses, and you wouldve spend 1000, and we could both play everything at max in this whole time...

When i build a computer, i dont worry about how good or quality it would be, i worry about how much of its performance can i really use, and how can i save money from the performance i cannot use. It is called optimization.

For example, lets say you have an lcd with natural resolution (and max) at 1280x1024. You wouldnt be able to play fear at 1600x1200, so you wouldn't need two 7800s, so why buy it.?

If you can use two 7900s, to its fullest performance, then for all means, buy them. But for some people, rich (like me 8) ) or poor, 2 7900s doesn't worth a thousand dollars. There is only one thing you can do with two 7900s that you cant do with a 6600gt, host a lan party and brag about your computer. 8O :tongue:

I am glad for you, and i hope they make good enough games that would require me to get two 7900 gtxs. But i am going to stick with my 6600 gt for now :wink:

At least for one more year...

JohnnyL8

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
Rate my new comp:

* Asustek S939 nForce4 SLI X16 ATX A L R motherboard
* AMD Athlon 64 FX60 dual core CPU
* (case:) ThermalTake Tai-Chi VB5001SNA +Liquid cooling
* BFG GEFORCE 7900GTX 512MB PCI-E... x 2 (for SLI)
* Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Elite Pro soundcard
* Pioneer DVR-110 DVD Burner x 2
* 2 x Western Digital Raptor 150GB S150 16mb 10000rpm... for RAID 0
* Creative Gigaworks S750 7.1 THX speakers
* 600W Enermax SLi ready power supply
* Corsair XMS-3500LL PRO (2 x twinX 1Gb matched pairs = 4GB - ready for Vista)
* Logitech gaming keyboard
* Razer Copperhead mouse
* Hyundaï Q90U 2.4ms LCD monitor (and looking for big CRT for best display quality)
* and a bunch of water cooling kit.
* (scanner and printer)

Cost me a fortune, but I slowly saved up for years, and now was the time to buy for me.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
With these cards in SLI, man, you can run games at 1280x1024 with over 60fps on maximum settings. This should be paired with fast cpu as well like the FX60 or 955 for maximum gaming performance. It's just insane!!

sviola

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
Great rig. Although I´d get a Dell 3007 that´s coming out in the next weeks instead of the CRT. Great monitor, with awesome resolution (which you can get those two 7900 to run) and it´s also HDCP compliant.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Rate my new comp:

* Asustek S939 nForce4 SLI X16 ATX A L R motherboard
* AMD Athlon 64 FX60 dual core CPU
* (case:) ThermalTake Tai-Chi VB5001SNA +Liquid cooling
* BFG GEFORCE 7900GTX 512MB PCI-E... x 2 (for SLI)
* Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Elite Pro soundcard
* Pioneer DVR-110 DVD Burner x 2
* 2 x Western Digital Raptor 150GB S150 16mb 10000rpm... for RAID 0
* Creative Gigaworks S750 7.1 THX speakers
* 600W Enermax SLi ready power supply
* Corsair XMS-3500LL PRO (2 x twinX 1Gb matched pairs = 4GB - ready for Vista)
* Logitech gaming keyboard
* Razer Copperhead mouse
* Hyundaï Q90U 2.4ms LCD monitor (and looking for big CRT for best display quality)
* and a bunch of water cooling kit.
* (scanner and printer)

Cost me a fortune, but I slowly saved up for years, and now was the time to buy for me.

Is your dad goes by the name Bill Gates? Cuz your setup is not cheap at all and for you to change your still very good graphics card just like that.

You must be a millionaire my man. By the way I mention the FX60 as a perfect pair for this on SLI and you're gonna have a blast playing FEAR or pong at the highest resolution and settings.

hongkongphuey

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
Cool man. Thank you mom and dad for us and let them know that if our parents put a silver spoon in our arse everytime we wanted one we would all have one too! 8O

JohnnyL8

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
er, i worked hard for years and paid for it myself. :p

The FX-60 is listed there.

And i want a monitor that can offer supreme visual output. Even the latest 2ms LCD's are poor at fast image display relative to CRT's, despite the 'theory'. (I know, because I have both). Review sites just dont seem to know what to look for...a gamer does however. Same with mice technology really, but thats a whole other story.

ivoryjohn

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2001
If your LCD doesn't support a resolution to heat up your cards, you can get the triple view adapter that lets you run three matched displays in triple wide screen mode.

Running 4 mem modules will probably force you to drop down to 2T command rate, which might run slower than 2 megs at 1T.

JohnnyL8

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
Slightly OT, but it's the best mouse I've ever owned (and ive owned a lot of the 'top' ones). I've *measured* it to be the most accurate mouse I've used. Not even Toms seems to know how to measure the accuracy of a mouse objectively, judging from their reviews. "It helped me aim better" is about as thorough as it gets.

kumana1

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Slightly OT, but it's the best mouse I've ever owned (and ive owned a lot of the 'top' ones). I've *measured* it to be the most accurate mouse I've used. Not even Toms seems to know how to measure the accuracy of a mouse objectively, judging from their reviews. "It helped me aim better" is about as thorough as it gets.

whatever works for you ;)

seanie

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
good machine buddy, hate to burst your bubble and all but your machine wont be 100% vista compatible, Vista uses DX10 new graphics API only supports DX9 through software emulation, which means shit slow gaming on current, generation of pc games. your cards are DX9 should of waited, in anyway vista will be shit, and every one will start using linux or openGL hopefully!

doublehelix

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2005
good machine buddy, hate to burst your bubble and all but your machine wont be 100% vista compatible, Vista uses DX10 new graphics API only supports DX9 through software emulation, which means **** slow gaming on current, generation of pc games. your cards are DX9 should of waited, in anyway vista will be ****, and every one will start using linux or openGL hopefully!

Ummm according to official Microsoft word:

Minimum system requirements will not be known until summer 2006 at the earliest. However, these guidelines provide useful estimates:

• 512 megabytes (MB) or more of RAM

• A dedicated graphics card with DirectX® 9.0 support

• A modern, Intel Pentium- or AMD Athlon-based PC.

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/newsroom/winxp/VistaBeta1FS.mspx
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsvista/evaluate/hardware/vistahardware.mspx

Graphics Card: A DirectX 9–compatible GPU that is capable of supporting Windows Vista Display Driver Model (WVDDM) (only needed for aero glass) and has 64 megabytes of VRAM

Display: Copy-restricted high-definition digital content, such as next-generation HD DVD movies, will be displayed at a reduced resolution of 480p (DVD quality) or 540p, unless viewed on a High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP)-compatible monitor. Very few existing displays and no retail video cards are compliant with this standard. [7][8][9]

Soooo far his machine seems VERY vista compatible.

JohnnyL8

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
So what does the bill come to for this computer?

A lot! :)

but it was something ive wanted for almost 10 years to replace my ancient relic that needs fire to start.

Ive been waiting and waiting for the technology to reach a mature enough stage (for its generation), to buy. And im not really prepared to wait any longer, as i feel now is the time to buy. i dont plan on upgrading this computer for MANY years really. at least for a little while, i can say that i have "possibly the best pc on the planet that money can buy (for gaming)".

From what i read on nvidias website, and toms review, im sure its sufficiently vista compatible - more so that most computers that will make the move to vista initially anyway.

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
good machine buddy, hate to burst your bubble and all but your machine wont be 100% vista compatible, Vista uses DX10 new graphics API only supports DX9 through software emulation, which means **** slow gaming on current, generation of pc games. your cards are DX9 should of waited, in anyway vista will be ****, and every one will start using linux or openGL hopefully!

this is what im waiting for soon as vista comes worthwhile ill be upgrading i just read the review and my guess is the 7800GTX versions have now dropped in price so im gonna buy another and run in sli till vista is worth it then upgrade then.

plus the jump in fps isnt worth it to me just yet.

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
What the going price on the 7800GTX 512s now? I don't even seem them on any website now?

yeah your right i just checked and there not there...the 7800 GTX is only 50quid cheaper than the 7900GTX though, so i might of changed my mind lol. :?

Maxiius

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
Only 50 bucks cheaper then say 600 or 550? So that'd make the 7800 512 now around either 450 or 500? I know how to subtract, but i'm using round figures, to figure out how much I could sell mine for :p