Adding IDE for data storage to SATA boot

I just installed a new SATA hard drive to my system. It copied all the files from the existing old IDE boot drive drive and set itself up just fine. I had another IDE hard drive that I was using as a data drive. I had disconnected all the IDE hard drives once the copy was done to the boot drive. The SATA drive booted just fine and I had no issues. When I went back to connect up the old data IDE drive I got the "NTLDR is missing" error. Is the system trying to boot off the data IDE drive instead of the SATA? Is there something in the BIOS that I need to change?

System Specs:

Athlon 64 3000+ 939
ABIT AV8 motherboard
Western Digital 160 GB SATA - boot drive
Maxtor 120 GB IDE - data drive
1 GB Geil Value RAM - Dual Channel
NEC 3540A DVDRW
Lite-On DVD
ATI X1600 Pro 512MB AGP Video

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
2 answers Last reply
More about adding data storage sata boot
  1. You may need to change the boot order in your bios and set sata before IDE.
  2. just setup all your boot order options in the bios again.

my abit board freaks out and resets itself to default behavior of booting to IDE first whenever I add or remove an IDE drive from my system which has an SATA boot drive. it's really irritating since I do a lot of swapping with a lot of drives from time to time. I have the latest BIOS though I'm hoping for a fix one day in a future revision, I doubt it's even a concern for them since your average folk won't be swapping drives all the time; and it could even be *gasp* by design for some strange reason...
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives SATA Boot Storage