A64 ~$200 upgrade suggestions please

I'm looking to switch from a 2.8 Prescott to an A64 and have allocated ~$200 for the CPU. So my question is, what's the best path. The only CPU-intensive thing I do is games, and the X2 is out of my price range, so I was thinking a 3500 or a 3700. What I don't know about is opterons. There's the 146 or maybe the 148 in that price range, but I don't know how well they perform in games. Any enlightenment in that area? I don't really plan on OCing, but its possible I guess. Any information is appreciated.
7 answers Last reply
More about upgrade suggestions please
  1. 3700 san diego core 1 mb cache.
  2. What hardware have you bought already?
  3. None yet. What I'm going to buy is CPU, Vid Card, MoBo and power supply. That's all I need to replace. I'm getting a KN8-SLi and probably a 7900GT to go with it.
  4. I'd rather wait for Conroe to show up. They will be game eaters for sure.
  5. Quote:
    I'd rather wait for Conroe to show up. They will be game eaters for sure.

Thats the right stuff to do.
  6. Maybe buy an xbox 360 and hook it up to your LCD? I just cant get past the controllers for the consoles. Just give me a keyboard and mouse for the FPS games and I would be happy.
  7. No consoles, no Conroes for me. I like using my PC for games, so I'm going to keep doing that. And 200 for a CPU isn't going to get me any kind of dual core solution that's a decent performer for a long time to come. What I really wanted to know was if the opteron was a better solution than the 3700.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Switch Games Product