Sign in with
Your question

ThermalTake Big Water SE

Last response: in Overclocking
March 9, 2006 3:41:39 PM

Hi all.
I'm thinking of getting into water cooling.
I've been looking around a bit, mostly at the subject mentioned kit.
Does anyone use these? I'm wondering if I could add a VGA/graphics cooler to it at a later date, as it only comes with the CPU cooler.

Any comments welcome.

TIA

More about : thermaltake big water

March 9, 2006 6:57:03 PM

Following is what I decided on back in December…
Components:
Lian Li PC-60plus Black Aluminum Case (w/TR-3B Black Thermometer/Fan Controller 3.5” bay)
Opteron 175 (2x 2.42 GHz, 2MB cache, Socket 939, .09 micron, E6 stepping, OSA175DAA6CD)
ThermalTake BigWaterSE 12cm liquid cooling system complete kit
Asus A8R-MVP Motherboard (ATI Radeon Xpress 200 CrossFire, socket 939, SATA2)
HiS X1800XT Graphics Card (625 MHz/700 MHz OC core/1500 Mhz/1600 MHz OC mem, Dual DL-DVI VIVO 512 MB PCIe)
ATI TV Theater 550 PRO Tuner (PCI TV and FM Tuner)
4x 512MB Corsair Micro Xpert DDR RAM (2-3-3-8-2T (spd 2-2-2-5-1T) TwinXP 1024-3200XL)
2x 74gig Western Digital Raptor Hard Drives RAID-0 (WD740GD RAID0 150gig Boot Drive)
2x 250gig Western Digital Caviar SE16 Hard Drives (WD2500KS storage and data)
Plextor 716AL Black 16x DVD/CD Burner (IDE slot loading type)
Antec TP-II 550 Power Supply (550 Watt ATX12V v2.0 PSU)
Dell 2405FPW 24-inch LCD Monitor (UltraSharp Wide Aspect Flat Panel Display)
Logitech G-15 Gaming Keyboard
Logitech Cordless Optical TrackMan
Case Fans (SilenX 120mm intake, Adda 120mm exhaust blower, SilenX 92mm exhaust and SilenX 80mm Fan)

I highly recomend the BigWaterSE as is costs around $100 and is very good quality components, virtually leakproof design.
It would strain the system to also cool a gpu, but add a add'l 80mm radiator to the included 120mm rad and that should do it.
Most mid to larger cases can hold two radiators internally, especially if you have a top 80mm blowhole.
March 11, 2006 10:04:40 AM

I love the reservoir being able to be incorporated into a 5.3 bay, the only problem i have with the thermaltke SE is the pump capacity of only 90l/hr this is low compared to other cooling setups kits and maybe why it didnt lead the benchmark cooling tests.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/4-wcoo...
Related resources
March 11, 2006 12:48:36 PM

Yes, it would definatly do better with a larger capacity pump, but it is a starter system, designed for just the CPU being cooled and not the gpu also. Temps stay pretty good with it considering the price, and it is built well.
It is still a great deal, you can always upgrade to another pump, then you have a spare as a backup.
That is what I intend to do, since block, rad, fan, and water lines are great quality, so is pump, it just is lower flow than ideal, but it gets the job done as claimed.
March 11, 2006 1:57:15 PM

Hmmmm sounds good then...?

Thanks for the great advice.
Gives me something else to think about now then :) 

Andy
March 14, 2006 2:21:27 PM

Hi guys, me again :lol: 

Stupid question maybe, but would I have to make holes in my mobo for the CPU cooler plate to go on?

Thanks again,

Andy
March 14, 2006 2:50:03 PM

I have this cooling my A64 3200+ cpu and looped into my 6600gt.. my cpu/video temps are 32/30 idle and im not sure at loat because i never looked.. =P.. but i can assure you this systems is more than enough to cool both of them.. HOWEVER!!.. i would strongly sudgest getting a new hight flow pump for it.. they arnt that much.. the last pump i had died prematurly.. and this one for some reason stops working out of the blue.. (anyone know why these pumps just stop working??) the system usually heats up.. send a warning signal. and i shut it down. open the case.. and shake the pump a little untill it decides to work again..(by the way i have my bios set at 60c for shutdown.. below the max temp for that processor.. and have never come close to hitting it playing FEAR or Doom3)

in all this is a really great water cooling system.. i also love having the resivoir in the 5in bay.. filling is a bitch.. but ive had it for quite some time now and its stayed perty constant in level...
March 14, 2006 3:54:50 PM

Not worth it at all... the by typhoon gives it a run for its money at 45$. The Zalman 9500 equals or outdoes it for 65$. The Big Water SE costs 100$ and you really need to invest into another pump. They dont even have radiations.... their more or less condensers.

Zalman 9500 is the way to go... big typhoon if you cant afford the extra 20$.
March 15, 2006 5:31:42 PM

I would hit some reliable websites that have reviewed this kit... I did this myself and decided not to get it. no , you do not have to drill holes in your Mobo to install (never a good idea btw) :p 

The Zalman 9500 is cooling my CPU and keeping idle temps between 29-31 C Idle.

Not sure what load temp is but room air temps and case temps play a huge role in how well either method works.

If you plan to overclock... from what I have read online this is not the water cooler for you its more of a mainstream entry level unit which is what I believe you are looking for. But at $100 bucks if you dont like it most retailers will take it back within a certain time frame. and if they don't? well that sucks.
!