Sign in with
Your question

Wireless Keyboard & Gaming

Last response: in Components
March 9, 2006 5:36:15 PM

Is it even possible to game with a wireless keyboard? I made the mistake of buying the Microsoft Wireless Desktop (forget if it was 2.0 or 3.0) and I took BF2 for a spin and it didn't work worth a cuss. Apparently to save battery life, you can't hold down a key for an extended (2+ seconds) of time. This behavior is duplicated in Notepad.

Was anyone else aware of this? I've already got a wired keyboard & mouse combo coming... just seemed I'd have heard more about this BEFORE I bought.
March 9, 2006 5:58:27 PM

I have a Logitech wireless keyboard & mouse set and it games flawlessly. I can hold down the keys as long as I want. I built this gaming system about 2 months ago and I play F.E.A.R., BF2, Farcry, COD2, etc. on high settings with no lag due to keyboard/mouse or otherwise. In two months I've replaced the mouse batteries once, but the thing ran great right up till they died. I haven't tried using NiCd or lithium batteries (haven't needed to) However, when I first built the system I went cheap on the wireless keyboard/mouse and bought a Wal-Mart no name. It was very unresponsive and went back the next day. I use Logitech for all my input devices and they are always moderately priced and have never let me down.
March 9, 2006 5:58:43 PM

I have a Logitech wireless keyboard & mouse set and it games flawlessly. I can hold down the keys as long as I want. I built this gaming system about 2 months ago and I play F.E.A.R., BF2, Farcry, COD2, etc. on high settings with no lag due to keyboard/mouse or otherwise. In two months I've replaced the mouse batteries once, but the thing ran great right up till they died. I haven't tried using NiCd or lithium batteries (haven't needed to) However, when I first built the system I went cheap on the wireless keyboard/mouse and bought a Wal-Mart no name. It was very unresponsive and went back the next day. I use Logitech for all my input devices and they are always moderately priced and have never let me down.
Related resources
March 9, 2006 6:01:49 PM

I don't consider Microsoft "no-name" maker of keyboards... I just wasn't expecting this sort of problem from a $65 keyboard & mouse combo.
March 9, 2006 6:14:30 PM

you should be able to install the software for the keyboard and turn off that feature.. i had the same thing on my old wireless.. would disable buttons held down to save power.. then i checked in the software and i could disable it.. try that...
March 9, 2006 6:23:23 PM

I don't consider Microsoft a no-name either. In fact the Microsoft kit was about $10 more than the Logotech kit where I shopped. I've never used MS wireless stuff, but the Logitech works great.
March 9, 2006 7:20:20 PM

I also have a Logitech setup. It was a cheap version (like $30 at Newegg). It works just like a wired keyboard and mouse.
!