Basic Networking Question

TheMASK

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2003
I have 2 CPUs, 2 mobo, 2 PSU, 2 HDD, 2 AGP cards, 2 Mice but only one Monitor and one Keyboard. i just upgraded my system and the old stuff is just lying around. i was thinking if i cud network 2 systems but use only one Keyboard, One mouse and one monitor. The reason being, i have a TV-Tuner card and if i am recording something i better not do anythin else. Even playing MS Hearts sometimes screws up the recording. so i want to dedicate one system for recording and other for gaming. But i want to access all my files split in both the HDDs.

So help me set-up a network with One monitor, One Mouse and One Keyboard. Oh BTW, there is a set-top box available which is basically for servers (so i am told) which is what i need. it takes input from 1 keyboard, 1 mouse and 1 monitor but drives 2 systems. But that thing is darn expensive. for its cost i cud get a 15" monitor and a new keyboard. is there a easy way out?? i wudnt mind experimenting on my own and building my own "set-top box", of course with all ur help.

If sometimes you feel little, useless, offended or depressed or get that loser feeling, always remember that you were once the fastest and most victorious sperm out of hundreds of millions...

sturm

Splendid
I think what you saw is called a KVM Switch or something like that. Thats the only way I can think of to do it. Unless you want to go in and build your own switch network for each wire on the mouse, keyboard, and monitor?!!

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
<A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=manufactory&catalog=143&manufactory=1331&DEPA=0&sortby=14&order=1" target="_new">newegg</A> has some for $25

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

TheMASK

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2003
i was thinking of something like that. a switch - wire to wire :smile: and cut costs. I am from India and here it doesnt cost 25$, but the equivalent of $105...now u know why i want to build my own switch.

If sometimes you feel little, useless, offended or depressed or get that loser feeling, always remember that you were once the fastest and most victorious sperm out of hundreds of millions...

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
that doesnt work.

<font color=red> black </font color=red> <font color=green> white </font color=green> <font color=blue> yellow </font color=blue> <font color=orange> purple </font color=orange> <font color=black> red </font color=black> <font color=yellow> green </font color=yellow> <font color=purple> blue </font color=purple>

Bardic

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2001
jihiggs is right, making your own KVM switch isn't going to work. You can:

1. get another KB and mouse, and switch the monitor cable manually (or monitor switch boxes aren't as expensive as a full KVM)

2. Use the monitor and stuff on the main machine, and remote control the second machine using VNC or something similar. (to do this, you have to change the bios of the machine to boot without a keyboard) But you may have some problems, because if hearts causes glitches in your recordings, then remote controlling will also.

TheMASK

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2003
tnx all u guys...now i got to look for a cheapo KVM switch

Belkin's ones are good, but keep in mind that KVM switches are fussy about keyboard and chipsets. The old manual ones don't like certain chipsets.

The newer ones don't like fancy keyboards with fancy drivers, and you can lose the keyboard when switching. I believe 101, 102 & 104 KBs are good, but double check the specs and FAQs on the switches you look at.

<b><font color=blue>~ <A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=324&s=58e94ba84a16bedfebbf0f416d5bac48" target="_new">System Specs</A> ~<font color=blue></b> :wink: