Solved

Some Hard Disks not compatible with USB 3?

Hello, I bought a Seagate 2.5 Momentus 750 GB 3 GB/s 16MB Cache Internal Notebook Drive. I put it into 3 different USB 3 HD enclosures. My mid-2012 MacBook Pro either didn't recognize, or the drive stopped (message: This Device was not removed correctly). It seems to work fine in a USB 2 drive enclosure. Any idea why?
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about some hard disks compatible
  1. Make sure you use an external power source for the enclosue, USB3 devices often require more power than USB2.
  2. JustSomeJoe said:
    Make sure you use an external power source for the enclosue, USB3 devices often require more power than USB2.

Thanks, JustSomeJoe. I know that USB 3 devices require more power, and I also understand that USB 3 ports also supply more power.
    I solved the problem (I think). I first formatted the disk and answered the question, "Would you like to use this disk as a Time Machine backup disk?" in the affirmative. Then it didn't work. When I tried reformatting the disk, I said no, and now the drive works fine in the USB 3 enclosure. I have no idea why that would make a difference. I'm now using the disk as a Time Machine disk, and it has worked several times, and without a powered hub. Perhaps it was just coincidence, but it was the 3rd time I formatted the disk, and the only time it worked.
  3. Best answer
    I've never heard of that problem before, but I don't use USB 3.

I would, however, be suspicious of any HDD that I had formatting problems with... and then it suddenly worked. I've had to deal with too many bad HDDs; I'd wipe that drive with a 1 or 3 pass erase and exchange it.
  4. This is the right answer, though I didn't know it when I got it. The drive only worked a few times. After that, I couldn't get it recognized even in DiskUtility or in a USB 2 powered enclosure.

The drive was defective. You were right. I've sent it back to Amazon for replacement.
  5. Best answer selected by Tboneman51.
Ask a new question

Read More

USB3 Mac OS X