VPN+Windows Domain login Flow Chart

Last response: in Networking
Share
March 1, 2005 11:26:29 AM

Hello peers:

I hsve basic question about the vpn+domain login thing.

Here is what iam thinking so far ( Please correct me,if iam wrong)

Scenario: 2 users in my office have their laptops which are part of the
domain. When they are home . Here is what they should do

1. Login locally ( not onto domain)
2. Connect throught VPN Client (Windows XP,or Greenbow0
3. Authenticated by VPN Server,and gets a IP address from VPN server.

4. My question is how do they get Network Drives mapped?

Please somebody explain me. Iam trying to think logically and not
having any clue.

Thanks,
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 2:34:01 AM

Raj wrote:
> Hello peers:
>
> I hsve basic question about the vpn+domain login thing.
>
> Here is what iam thinking so far ( Please correct me,if iam wrong)
>
> Scenario: 2 users in my office have their laptops which are part of the
> domain. When they are home . Here is what they should do
>
> 1. Login locally ( not onto domain)
> 2. Connect throught VPN Client (Windows XP,or Greenbow0
> 3. Authenticated by VPN Server,and gets a IP address from VPN server.
>
> 4. My question is how do they get Network Drives mapped?
>
> Please somebody explain me. Iam trying to think logically and not
> having any clue.
>
> Thanks,

Have them login to the domain just like usual.

Windows is pretty smart when it comes to being disconnected from the
network. Their user credentials will be cached from when they were
connected to the domain. When they connect to the VPN the machine will
be able to negotiate with the domain controller when you first try to
connect with a server for a login token.

If you have them connect to the local machine then you will have many
problems mapping drives unless their username and password are exactly
the same on the local machine and the remote server. Even then it's
unreliable if you are relying on the password and usernames being the same.

You may not be able to use network neighborhood but you can still type
in the ip or name of the server to connect to. The only way to get
network neighborhood working remotely is to run WINS servers with a
domain controller present and make sure your VPN clients are getting the
proper DNS and WINS server settings when they connect. After the client
connects it may take up to 50 minutes after they connect before the
browse list is built on their end of the connection and even then it
only really works in a small domain.

--
WARNING! Email address has been altered for spam resistance.
Mike Drechsler (mike-newsgroup@-deletethispart-.upcraft.com)

"Raj" <rrevuru@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello peers:
>
> I hsve basic question about the vpn+domain login thing.
>
> Here is what iam thinking so far ( Please correct me,if iam wrong)
>
> Scenario: 2 users in my office have their laptops which are part of the
> domain. When they are home . Here is what they should do
>
> 1. Login locally ( not onto domain)
> 2. Connect throught VPN Client (Windows XP,or Greenbow0
> 3. Authenticated by VPN Server,and gets a IP address from VPN server.
>
> 4. My question is how do they get Network Drives mapped?
>
> Please somebody explain me. Iam trying to think logically and not
> having any clue.
>
> Thanks,

net use from the command prompt.
!