Tyan K8WE (S2895) -missing SSI v3.51 workstation pwer suply?

fishquail

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
What is the SSI v3.51 workstation power supply on my Tyan K8WE board for exactly? -Because I dont have it on the one I got. It says in the manual you have the option of using it, but my board does not have the "holes" to plug it into. Instead, on the motherboard the place where it would be is empty, just like the SCSI-2 area of the board.

It says this "SSI" is recomended when running both PCI express slots; which I plan on doing - so do I need this???

I am aware that this is not the version of the board that includes SCSI and that that space is for another version of this motherboard.... but how come I have no SSI workstation power supply?

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
The newer varient just has the EPS12V 8 pin (2 x 4 pins) power connector that goes near the CPU VRMs.

If you e-mail Tyan support about the K8WE you get about 6 auto reply messages that will get you up and running in no time at all.

They did this because the 6-pin PCIe power connector actually fit into the older style CPU power plug, and people tried it (without reading manual) and killed their boards. :p