News For FSNavigator Fans

I've always considered FSNavigator to be the best single add-on ever
made for any version of MSFS. It's nice to see that Helge has recovered and
again is working to bring us an even better product. I don't know how many
thousands of us are FSNavigator users, but MSFS would be much the worse
without Helge's efforts over the years. I'm really looking forward to the
next update.

Trip

Gregory wrote:

> Also.. do the VOR compasses [orientation] all point north or
magnetic?

A VOR compass rose is always relative to magnetic north, since its
radials are always magnetic.

--
Peter

Gregory wrote:

> Ummm.. having doubts now.
> Are the FSNav statements consistent with the following chart?

I cannot speak with any authority about FSNav, but with regards to VOR
compass roses, they are consistant with that chart you linked in your
post.

I would stringly *suspect* that the VOR compass roses in FSNav also
agree with that chart.

--
Peter

Gregory wrote:

> Ummm.. having doubts now.
> Are the FSNav statements consistent with the following chart?

Gregory, I just took a closer look at the FSNav screenshots you posted.
To see that, in fact, FSNav does align the rose with magnetic north,
take a look at the Los Angeles VOR (LAX), which pretty much falls right
on a longitude line. Assuming the longitude line runs to true north,
you can see that magnetic north is about 13 degrees east of true north
or so. Now look at your isogonic map you posted. You will see that
LAX falls at about 13 degrees east of true north.

This should prove that FSNav does align their VOR roses to magnetic,
too.

--
Peter

GREGORY

On Mon, 23 May 2005 19:18:21 -0400, "Trip Lane" <Trip@hotmail.com>
brought the following to our attention:

> I've always considered FSNavigator to be the best single add-on ever
>made for any version of MSFS. It's nice to see that Helge has recovered and
>again is working to bring us an even better product. I don't know how many
>thousands of us are FSNavigator users, but MSFS would be much the worse
>without Helge's efforts over the years. I'm really looking forward to the
>next update.
>
>Trip
>
>"Ralph White" <Ralph_White @hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hopefully this is true and not B.S. like so much update info in the
>> past few months.
>>

>> http://simflight.com/
>>
>> www.fsnavigator.com
>>
>> http://forums.simflight.com/viewforum.php?f=157

Looked at the forum.. it says there will be FS9 specific fixes.. and
perhaps some other general improvements. I'd like to see an
option to vary the LENGTH of the yellow localizer beam. Haven't
measured.. but it's likely 12 - 15 mi. The default FS8 localizer path
is green in color and extends roughly 7 - 8 mi? hmm?

Would like [ability] to reduce the length of LOC object in FSNav.
Maybe length is necessary for the labels? Sometimes it may be useful
to see individual NAV useable range drawn.. like LOC distance or even
VOR radius / area (light hatching). Not for every NAV.. but turn them
on individually? Mouse-over and hold / activate / toggle in some way?
Brainstorming here!!

Also.. do the VOR compasses [orientation] all point north or magnetic?

-G

GREGORY

On 24 May 2005 12:09:22 -0700, "Beech45Whiskey" <pjricc@gmail.com>
brought the following to our attention:

>Gregory wrote:
>
>> Also.. do the VOR compasses [orientation] all point north or magnetic?
>
>A VOR compass rose is always relative to magnetic north, since its
>radials are always magnetic.

That's clear now Peter.. was wondering now FSNav oriented the VOR
compasses.. and was able to find TWO screen clips from east and
west coast USA that confirmed.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/flightsim/KACY_Nav.gif

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/flightsim/LAX_depart.gif

-Gregory

GREGORY

On Tue, 24 May 2005 15:26:18 -0400, Gregory
<flightsim.maps@bkwds.comcast.net> brought the following to our
attention:

>>A VOR compass rose is always relative to magnetic north, since its
>>radials are always magnetic.
>
>That's clear now Peter..
>was wondering now FSNav oriented the VOR compasses.

Ummm.. having doubts now.
Are the FSNav statements consistent with the following chart?

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/flightsim/isogonic.gif

-G

GREGORY

On 24 May 2005 12:38:42 -0700, "Beech45Whiskey" <pjricc@gmail.com>
brought the following to our attention:

>Gregory wrote:
>
>> Are the FSNav statements consistent with the following chart?
>
>I cannot speak with any authority about FSNav, but with regards to VOR
>compass roses, they are consistant with that chart you linked in your
>post.
>
>I would stringly *suspect* that the VOR compass roses in FSNav also
>agree with that chart.

Have another screen clip which was easier to process than starting up
Sim and `measuring' a LOC beam. Have scaled the 5.8nm segment in
the image below and determined the beams are 14nm in length.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/flightsim/PXR_LOCs.gif (33k)

Interesting stuff!!

-Gregory