what do I need for a vpn

Last response: in Networking
Share
March 2, 2005 4:08:00 PM

I'm about to get a router. The spec says it supports vpn
pass-throughs. I'd like to be able to use vpn to connect to my home
PC (Windows XP) when away from home. I take it I need more than a
router - what else would I need? Clearly I am a novice in this area.

More about : vpn

Anonymous
March 3, 2005 2:27:20 PM

Thanks - I'm using XP Pro so should be OK. I also found that XP Pro has
some inbuilt interactive training that seems very similar to some of
the vpn info I've found on the web re setting up network connections
etc. My router should arrive tomorrow - can't wait.
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 5:37:29 PM

"steve" <woodcocs@hotmail.com> skrev i en meddelelse
> I'm about to get a router. The spec says it supports vpn
> pass-throughs. I'd like to be able to use vpn to connect to my home
> PC (Windows XP) when away from home. I take it I need more than a
> router - what else would I need? Clearly I am a novice in this area.

If you will connect 2 pc's with WinXP you don't need anything else....you
don't even need a router for that job...............BUT the server needs to
be
WinXP Pro.................I have never succeded in making a VPN server with
Home edition !!...............but Home edition is okey for the
client.........
February 23, 2009 10:08:39 AM

Dear web user
Routers generally contain a specialized operating system (e.g. Cisco's IOS or Juniper Networks JUNOS and JUNOSe or Extreme Networks XOS[3]), RAM, NVRAM, flash memory, and one or more processors, as well as two or more network interfaces. Except for multiple network interfaces this is typical of an embedded computer.
Wish good luck.
High-end routers contain many processors and specialized Application-specific integrated circuits (ASICs) and do a great deal of parallel processing. Chassis based systems like the Nortel MERS-8600 or ERS-8600 routing switch, (pictured right) have multiple ASICs on every module and allow for a wide variety of LAN, MAN, METRO, and WAN technology ports or other, customizable connections. Simpler routers are used where cost is more important and traffic is less, for example, in providing a home Internet service. With the appropriate software (such as Untangle, SmoothWall, XORP or Quagga), an ordinary personal computer can become a router.
Wish good luck.
To be continue
!