Corrupt HDD screwed further by partitioning, lost cause?

gejiaxu

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
A few days ago I decided to re-partition my laptop's HD (again), but Partition Magic met with what was apparently a bad sector on the disk, and just quit half way through, leaving me with a half-re-partitioned 40GB disk... From then on, blue sceen on startup, and no successful boot for windows. For some reason my knoppix CD was not working, and this is my only computer at the moment, so I took it to IBMs repair center, and they looked at it and said it's a drive failure caused by a bad sector, then replaced my drive with a new one. So now I'm up and running, and luckily most of my important data was backed up, but i still want to attempt to scavenge any remaining intact data off the old HD.

My question is this: is it possible to recover any data off a drive that only had one bad sector, but a re-partitioning process was only half-completed? When I first brought in my computer, the customer service guy put my HD into a dock station to see if anything was recoverable; his answer was no, but all he did was open up Disk Manager to see if win xp detected the drive.

How can I be absolutely sure that nothing is recoverable? If the drive doesn't appear in BIOS, would that mean that I can't do anything? (or does disk manager hold the exact same info as BIOS? I don't know anything about this stuff)

If I can just get the drive to become detectable again, then I could access it with file recovery software. Any ideas?

In about 5-6 hours from now I'm heading over to see what I can do (my HDD now belongs to Lenovo, but they said I can go try and pull data off it at their service center if I want), any advice before then would be apprectiated! Thanks!

(FYI: at the time the HD had only one partition, C, and i was in the process of making the partition smaller (to free up space for another))

Jim_L9

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
I am sure some of the data can be recovered, but it could be expensive. There are professional recovery sites that can recover just about anything, for a price. Did you try using Partition Magic to see if you could do anything else with it? Did you try to contact Norton or look on their support site?

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
If the bios won't see it, without any change other than a repartition error, you're up sh*ts creek with out a paddle. Get an identical drive, swap platters and see what happens! (or like Jim said, pay a crap load for a professional recovery company)

gejiaxu

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
I am sure some of the data can be recovered, but it could be expensive. There are professional recovery sites that can recover just about anything, for a price. Did you try using Partition Magic to see if you could do anything else with it? Did you try to contact Norton or look on their support site?

yeah, i certainly don't want to pay for it, especially since what's left on the drive isn't all that imporant, just stuff that it'd be nice to have back...

I haven't actually done anything with it yet, since i have to head to the service center just to access the drive. i will be trying partition magic on it, but if windows can't detect it, it'll probably be useless to try.

gejiaxu

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
If the bios won't see it, without any change other than a repartition error, you're up sh*ts creek with out a paddle.

that's what i figured... :(
at least i backed up most everything the morning this happened :)

Get an identical drive, swap platters and see what happens!

well, what's left isn't quite that important, i'm hoping there's a simple software solution, but it doesn't sound like it.

TRENDING THREADS