Remote Desktop over VPN problem

Last response: in Networking
Share
March 4, 2005 2:26:23 AM

My laptop establishes a VPN tunnel using Prosafe VPN05L client software
connecting with a Netgear FVS318 at the office. I then connect my laptop to
my office machine using Remote Desktop. Both the VPN and the Remote Desktop
work beautifully....until I go to my buddy's house and try the same thing.
At his house the VPN connects just fine, but the remote desktop won't
connect. I cannot ping any hosts on the remote LAN either. Whereas I could
ping remote hosts from my residence. My buddy uses a different ISP. So what
could an ISP do to allow a VPN connection, but block a Remote Desktop
session? The ISP is what I suspect as the problem because both the VPN and
the RD work fine at my residence under my ISP.

Can someone give me an idea of what might be preventing a remote desktop
session in this case?

Thanks,

-James
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 1:30:45 PM

are you suing a router? could that be blocking ports? - also double check
with the ISP and see if they block any ports

"James" <anonymous> wrote in message
> My laptop establishes a VPN tunnel using Prosafe VPN05L client software
> connecting with a Netgear FVS318 at the office. I then connect my laptop
> to my office machine using Remote Desktop. Both the VPN and the Remote
> Desktop work beautifully....until I go to my buddy's house and try the
> same thing. At his house the VPN connects just fine, but the remote
> desktop won't connect. I cannot ping any hosts on the remote LAN either.
> Whereas I could ping remote hosts from my residence. My buddy uses a
> different ISP. So what could an ISP do to allow a VPN connection, but
> block a Remote Desktop session? The ISP is what I suspect as the problem
> because both the VPN and the RD work fine at my residence under my ISP.
>
> Can someone give me an idea of what might be preventing a remote desktop
> session in this case?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -James

Anonymous
March 5, 2005 9:35:31 AM

Does you buddy have a router? Does it support PPTP or IPSEC passthru? If
you buddy has a Cable or DSL modem that is separate from the router, try
connecting your laptop directly to the modem, and see if you still have the
problem. That would identify if the problem is caused by the ISP or the
router.

Mike Schumann

"James" <anonymous> wrote in message
> My laptop establishes a VPN tunnel using Prosafe VPN05L client software
> connecting with a Netgear FVS318 at the office. I then connect my laptop
> to my office machine using Remote Desktop. Both the VPN and the Remote
> Desktop work beautifully....until I go to my buddy's house and try the
> same thing. At his house the VPN connects just fine, but the remote
> desktop won't connect. I cannot ping any hosts on the remote LAN either.
> Whereas I could ping remote hosts from my residence. My buddy uses a
> different ISP. So what could an ISP do to allow a VPN connection, but
> block a Remote Desktop session? The ISP is what I suspect as the problem
> because both the VPN and the RD work fine at my residence under my ISP.
>
> Can someone give me an idea of what might be preventing a remote desktop
> session in this case?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -James

March 5, 2005 5:45:11 PM

"Mike Schumann" <mike-nospam@traditions-nospam.com> wrote in message:

> Does you buddy have a router? Does it support PPTP or IPSEC passthru? If
> you buddy has a Cable or DSL modem that is separate from the router, try
> connecting your laptop directly to the modem, and see if you still have
> the problem. That would identify if the problem is caused by the ISP or
> the router.

Thanks Mike. However, I found the problem. It was his subnet (192.168.X.10).
Turned out to be the same as the remote secure group subnet.

James
!