Sign in with
Your question

Help! A gamer with no puter

Last response: in Components
March 9, 2006 11:48:44 PM

My mother board died and I'm looking to build a new computer. I haven't looked at new hardware in 5 years. I play DOD and want to play battlefield2. I don't want to be short on power to play these games or any new ones that may come out in the near future.
The budget $2200
Some of the hardware I have in mind from reading these forums and some benchmarking.
Around a 600 watt power supply
XFX PVT70FUNF7 Geforce 7800GTX 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 VIVO PCI Express x16 Video Card
RAM 2 gig
SATA WD 250 gig 16 mb buffer HD
2 dvd drives
Motherboard ??
cpu?? amd 3800? pentium 3.4?
cooling I'm not opposed to air cooling but would like it quite

More about : gamer puter

March 10, 2006 9:17:51 AM

Try posting this question in the Homebuilt forum.
You should get more help there ....

8)
a b V Motherboard
March 10, 2006 10:44:36 AM

ah bummer, cause new stuff comes in in 4 months

can you wait that long?

otherwise right now get something AMD athlon64 based, either an X2 or an opteron, 1 or 2gb of ram, 7800gt video, branded mobo, etc.
Related resources
March 10, 2006 11:28:15 AM

Your build is WAY off... wrong video card for sure... bad processor picks... don't buy!!!
March 10, 2006 11:55:18 AM

Quote:
My mother board died and I'm looking to build a new computer. I haven't looked at new hardware in 5 years. I play DOD and want to play battlefield2. I don't want to be short on power to play these games or any new ones that may come out in the near future.
The budget $2200
Some of the hardware I have in mind from reading these forums and some benchmarking.
Around a 600 watt power supply
XFX PVT70FUNF7 Geforce 7800GTX 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 VIVO PCI Express x16 Video Card
RAM 2 gig
SATA WD 250 gig 16 mb buffer HD
2 dvd drives
Motherboard ??
cpu?? amd 3800? pentium 3.4?
cooling I'm not opposed to air cooling but would like it quite

Hm, I'll make you a list.
EVGA 7900GT = 299
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...
AMD X2 4400 = 458
A8N ASUS = 114
OCZ Gold PC4000 = 210
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682...
2x Western Digitial 250gb RAID 0 = 182
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682...
Grand Total = $1,263
Questions? Sugesstions?
I guess it could be more high end if you want, but that machine is more than capable.
March 10, 2006 1:10:41 PM

My suggestion to you is just wait the 6 months for new stuff to be out (and tested), because if you haven’t looked at computer stuff in 5 years, you’re most likely not too into games and a huge fps number. You just want a pc to play some of the new stuff at a decent quality setting. To hold you off till that time, maybe go to ebay and find a good mobo to replace your bad one and just lay off a little on the high demand games.

But if you want to upgrade now what ak47 suggested is a great build, a few changes I would make to his list is the mobo and cpu. Id go with a DFI lan party expert, and and opteron 165. The reason is the DFI is a great overclocking mobo and the opty can be oced from its 1.8ghz to 2.6ghz (of course with some good cooling) and this could be more capable of a cpu to keep up with gaming demands in the future because amds best cpu at this time the fx-60 runs at 2.6. That might cost you a little more but its well within your 2200 budget and if you just have to spend that $2200 now you can go even better.

I guess a simple question you can ask yourself to know if you should upgrade now or later is; how much do I want to overclock? If you like to oc like a mad man upgrade now and you can keep up, but if you don’t oc, wait.
March 10, 2006 1:11:14 PM

Yes! You are correct sir! That's a much better looking build than the one originally proposed in this post. The 7900GT is as fast or faster than the 7800GTX for about $150 less. That build leaves plenty of room for a high-end monitor, sound card and speakers.
March 10, 2006 1:16:26 PM

Quote:
My suggestion to you is just wait the 6 months for new stuff to be out (and tested), because if you haven’t looked at computer stuff in 5 years, you’re most likely not too into games and a huge fps number. You just want a pc to play some of the new stuff at a decent quality setting. To hold you off till that time, maybe go to ebay and find a good mobo to replace your bad one and just lay off a little on the high demand games.

But if you want to upgrade now what ak47 suggested is a great build, a few changes I would make to his list is the mobo and cpu. Id go with a DFI lan party expert, and and opteron 165. The reason is the DFI is a great overclocking mobo and the opty can be oced from its 1.8ghz to 2.6ghz (of course with some good cooling) and this could be more capable of a cpu to keep up with gaming demands in the future because amds best cpu at this time the fx-60 runs at 2.6. That might cost you a little more but its well within your 2200 budget and if you just have to spend that $2200 now you can go even better.

I guess a simple question you can ask yourself to know if you should upgrade now or later is; how much do I want to overclock? If you like to oc like a mad man upgrade now and you can keep up, but if you don’t oc, wait.

DFI boards are pieces of SHIT. I've had 4 Ultra-D's die on me, and I'm switching to Intel because of it.
Also, I don't recommend the 165 to anybody but experienced, die hard overclockers. Even then, you don't need a DFI board to do it; an ABIT AN8/ASUS A8R32-MVP will do. Trust me..DFI boards are just poorly made.
!