Help! A gamer with no puter

My mother board died and I'm looking to build a new computer. I haven't looked at new hardware in 5 years. I play DOD and want to play battlefield2. I don't want to be short on power to play these games or any new ones that may come out in the near future.
The budget $2200
Some of the hardware I have in mind from reading these forums and some benchmarking.
Around a 600 watt power supply
XFX PVT70FUNF7 Geforce 7800GTX 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 VIVO PCI Express x16 Video Card
RAM 2 gig
SATA WD 250 gig 16 mb buffer HD
2 dvd drives
Motherboard ??
cpu?? amd 3800? pentium 3.4?
cooling I'm not opposed to air cooling but would like it quite
7 answers Last reply
More about help gamer puter
  1. Try posting this question in the Homebuilt forum.
    You should get more help there ....

8)
  2. ah bummer, cause new stuff comes in in 4 months

can you wait that long?

otherwise right now get something AMD athlon64 based, either an X2 or an opteron, 1 or 2gb of ram, 7800gt video, branded mobo, etc.
  3. Your build is WAY off... wrong video card for sure... bad processor picks... don't buy!!!
  4. Quote:
    My mother board died and I'm looking to build a new computer. I haven't looked at new hardware in 5 years. I play DOD and want to play battlefield2. I don't want to be short on power to play these games or any new ones that may come out in the near future.
    The budget $2200
    Some of the hardware I have in mind from reading these forums and some benchmarking.
    Around a 600 watt power supply
    XFX PVT70FUNF7 Geforce 7800GTX 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 VIVO PCI Express x16 Video Card
    RAM 2 gig
    SATA WD 250 gig 16 mb buffer HD
    2 dvd drives
    Motherboard ??
    cpu?? amd 3800? pentium 3.4?
    cooling I'm not opposed to air cooling but would like it quite

Hm, I'll make you a list.
    EVGA 7900GT = 299
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130281
    AMD X2 4400 = 458
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103546
    A8N ASUS = 114
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131524
    OCZ Gold PC4000 = 210
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227219
    2x Western Digitial 250gb RAID 0 = 182
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144417
    Grand Total = $1,263
    Questions? Sugesstions?
    I guess it could be more high end if you want, but that machine is more than capable.
  5. My suggestion to you is just wait the 6 months for new stuff to be out (and tested), because if you haven’t looked at computer stuff in 5 years, you’re most likely not too into games and a huge fps number. You just want a pc to play some of the new stuff at a decent quality setting. To hold you off till that time, maybe go to ebay and find a good mobo to replace your bad one and just lay off a little on the high demand games.

But if you want to upgrade now what ak47 suggested is a great build, a few changes I would make to his list is the mobo and cpu. Id go with a DFI lan party expert, and and opteron 165. The reason is the DFI is a great overclocking mobo and the opty can be oced from its 1.8ghz to 2.6ghz (of course with some good cooling) and this could be more capable of a cpu to keep up with gaming demands in the future because amds best cpu at this time the fx-60 runs at 2.6. That might cost you a little more but its well within your 2200 budget and if you just have to spend that $2200 now you can go even better.

I guess a simple question you can ask yourself to know if you should upgrade now or later is; how much do I want to overclock? If you like to oc like a mad man upgrade now and you can keep up, but if you don’t oc, wait.
  6. Yes! You are correct sir! That's a much better looking build than the one originally proposed in this post. The 7900GT is as fast or faster than the 7800GTX for about $150 less. That build leaves plenty of room for a high-end monitor, sound card and speakers.
  7. Quote:
    My suggestion to you is just wait the 6 months for new stuff to be out (and tested), because if you haven’t looked at computer stuff in 5 years, you’re most likely not too into games and a huge fps number. You just want a pc to play some of the new stuff at a decent quality setting. To hold you off till that time, maybe go to ebay and find a good mobo to replace your bad one and just lay off a little on the high demand games.

But if you want to upgrade now what ak47 suggested is a great build, a few changes I would make to his list is the mobo and cpu. Id go with a DFI lan party expert, and and opteron 165. The reason is the DFI is a great overclocking mobo and the opty can be oced from its 1.8ghz to 2.6ghz (of course with some good cooling) and this could be more capable of a cpu to keep up with gaming demands in the future because amds best cpu at this time the fx-60 runs at 2.6. That might cost you a little more but its well within your 2200 budget and if you just have to spend that $2200 now you can go even better.

I guess a simple question you can ask yourself to know if you should upgrade now or later is; how much do I want to overclock? If you like to oc like a mad man upgrade now and you can keep up, but if you don’t oc, wait.

DFI boards are pieces of SHIT. I've had 4 Ultra-D's die on me, and I'm switching to Intel because of it.
    Also, I don't recommend the 165 to anybody but experienced, die hard overclockers. Even then, you don't need a DFI board to do it; an ABIT AN8/ASUS A8R32-MVP will do. Trust me..DFI boards are just poorly made.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Components Product