Current 975 mobos will support Conroe!

conroe

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2006
Current 975 mobos will support Conroe!

Bit-tech has reproted that only a BIOS flash will be needed to plug that wonderfull Conroe into that P5WD2-E you have already!

Conroe will be available on the current LGA775 socket - meaning that you can buy a system today that will support it, without being forced into an upgrade. It will support 975 boards, which today are high-end but which will filter downwards in price.

We currently don't know if Conroe will happily drop into Nforce 4 for Intel boards, but we would estimate so: 975 boards require just a BIOS flash to support the new chip, so hopefully the same will be true for NVIDIA chipsets.

From Bit-Tech.net News

conroe

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2006
Thank you. I remember something like that being said about the mobo Intel alowed benched at the IDF. A cut trace on the mobo if I recall correctly.

I only read about the VRM issue at X-bit labs. Sure would like some more sources to confirm compatibilty before I spend a few hundred on a motherboard. I can mod it if I have too. I think I'll just wait another quarter. :mrgreen:

conroe

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2006
The motherboard has pins. The cpu has land grid aray of patches that they contact with, hence the name LGA775. LGA775 is going to be around atleast to '08

Andrzej_Pl

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2005
I forgot to mention that newer VRM does not apply to overclockers because they'll be using Cedar Mill/Presler voltages anyway. :wink:

Might sound n00bish but, cutting it short. I can now buy 975, but then when I'll have Conroe I'll have to overclock it so it may work on current 975? :)

What if Conroe won't overclock? or the Pressler's voltage will be too high for Conroe and it won't work on that setting?

Don't get me wrong. I'd really like to divide my comp upgrade into few months...but I don't want to stick with useless mobo, especially if I'm going to pay about $300 for it So I'd rather like to be certainly sure it will work with COnroe

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
I forgot to mention that newer VRM does not apply to overclockers because they'll be using Cedar Mill/Presler voltages anyway. :wink:

Might sound n00bish but, cutting it short. I can now buy 975, but then when I'll have Conroe I'll have to overclock it so it may work on current 975? :)

What if Conroe won't overclock? or the Pressler's voltage will be too high for Conroe and it won't work on that setting?

Don't get me wrong. I'd really like to divide my comp upgrade into few months...but I don't want to stick with useless mobo, especially if I'm going to pay about $300 for it So I'd rather like to be certainly sure it will work with COnroe
Well, you can always overvolt. That could generate massive heat though...

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Funny thing is I know these mobos will undervolt, if you set it in BIOS setup.
Yeah, thing is they probably need this for people too stupid to change BIOS settings =P
Ever read a review for a mobo and see "OMG IT SET MY TIMINGS TO 3-3-3-8" posts? Yeah.

Yah, I'm happy with it. Bought it for $43 bucks refurbished at newegg. Max Vcore is 1.7v. Woot.

I think that T-Force means good.

i used to do mendocino to coppermine mods for both slot1 (with slocket) and socket370 boards but i never had the chance to mod for tualatin - too much work :( but i do have the adapter.

Ah the good old socket370 days.

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Top overclocking i975X boards currently allows you to drop to voltages below the default Cedar Mill voltage. Hopefully that's low enough to match the default voltage of Conroe.
Even if it's over 0.025V, that shouldn't be a problem at all.

Overclockers will be using 0.050-0.150V above stock voltage anyway.
or 0.7 above.

FITCamaro

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
The motherboard has pins. The cpu has land grid aray of patches that they contact with, hence the name LGA775. LGA775 is going to be around atleast to '08

An LGA775 motherboard has those contact patches you speak of and so do LGA775 P4s. Merom has pins so I'm assuming Conroe will too. If it does, then you can't just set a processor with actual pins on a motherboard with contact patches. So hence my question.

Now if the difference between Conroe and Merom is that one uses LGA775 and the other uses whatever they're gonna call it with pins, then yeah it'd probably work.

Icebawx

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
Conroe will be LGA775, and pinless. Merom, is the Mobile version and the sucessor to Yonah, and like Yonah and Dothan alike, will be a variant of the 479 Pin package, with physical pins.

RichPLS

Champion

Well, you can always overvolt. That could generate massive heat though...

It depends on how much of an overvolt you are talking about, in the Conroe on i975X mobo's we are talking about ~ 0.025 to 0.05 volts... not enough to generate massive heat on the 65nm core at an already impressive TDP.

RichPLS

Champion

I don't think you have to worry about Conroe not overclocking, and if yours does not, it is your RAM that is the suspect and probably very low quality generic mismatched sticks. :wink: