Sport Pilot license?

I'm confused.

Can you still fly an Ultralight without any license or training
requirements? For some reason I thought the FAA closed that hole and you
have to have a Sport License..

Dallas
8 answers Last reply
More about sport pilot license

    Dallas wrote:

    > I'm confused.
    >
    > Can you still fly an Ultralight without any license or training
    > requirements? For some reason I thought the FAA closed that hole and you
    > have to have a Sport License..
    >
    > Dallas

    No change that I've heard about. As long as it meets ultralight
    standards, you need nothing to fly it.

    --

    boB,
    SAG 70

    U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

    It's great for those of us who have nothing.

    Arthur

    Dallas wrote:
    > I'm confused.
    >
    > Can you still fly an Ultralight without any license or training
    > requirements? For some reason I thought the FAA closed that hole and you
    > have to have a Sport License..

    Just curious, what IS a sport license?

    Thx.

    John

    "The Man Behind The Curtain (formerly The Lindbergh Baby)"
    <johngrabowski@earthblink.net> wrote in message
    > Dallas wrote:
    >> I'm confused.
    >>
    >> Can you still fly an Ultralight without any license or training
    >> requirements? For some reason I thought the FAA closed that hole and you
    >> have to have a Sport License..
    >
    > Just curious, what IS a sport license?
    >
    > Thx.
    >

    > John

    New classification of specific aircraft and pilot rights and
    responsibilities:

    http://www.faa.gov/avr/afs/sportpilot/sept1.cfm#link1

    HTH,

    Jay Beckman
    PP-ASEL / Sim Pilot Too
    Chandler, AZ

    FAA is trying to push licensing requirements for ultralights too, so I
    heard. Pretty soon. Soon you will need a license to do the high jump.

    Mr. Steve

    "Mr. Steve" <surveyorsteve@cox.net> wrote in message
    > FAA is trying to push licensing requirements for ultralights too, so I
    > heard. Pretty soon. Soon you will need a license to do the high jump.
    >
    > Mr. Steve

    "Ultralights" are quickly becoming not so ultralight anymore.

    People are slapping radios, GPSs, ballistic recovery systems, "long range"
    tanks and other things that the FAA never intended for something which was
    meant to be flown "around the patch" after dinner or before breakfast.

    http://www.ultralightnews.ca/airventure03/rx550_trip.htm

    This type of flying is not, IMO, simply trying to be as simple and
    uncomplicated as the birds.

    YMMV...

    Jay Beckman
    PP-ASEL
    Chandler, AZ

    Jay Beckman wrote:
    > "Mr. Steve" <surveyorsteve@cox.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>FAA is trying to push licensing requirements for ultralights too, so I
    >>heard. Pretty soon. Soon you will need a license to do the high jump.
    >>
    >>Mr. Steve
    >

    > "Ultralights" are quickly becoming not so ultralight anymore.
    >
    > People are slapping radios, GPSs, ballistic recovery systems, "long range"
    > tanks and other things that the FAA never intended for something which was
    > meant to be flown "around the patch" after dinner or before breakfast.
    >
    > http://www.ultralightnews.ca/airventure03/rx550_trip.htm
    >
    > This type of flying is not, IMO, simply trying to be as simple and
    > uncomplicated as the birds.
    >
    > YMMV...
    >
    > Jay Beckman
    > PP-ASEL
    > Chandler, AZ

    Some people will always test the limit. Fact is a person can fly a legal
    ultralight without all the extras and have fun doing it.

    --

    boB,
    SAG 70

    U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

    > "The Man Behind The Curtain (formerly The Lindbergh Baby)"
    > <johngrabowski@earthblink.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Dallas wrote:
    >>
    >>>I'm confused.
    >>>
    >>>Can you still fly an Ultralight without any license or training
    >>>requirements?

    Yes

    http://www.usua.org/faq.htm#Q4

    Quote:
    Is it true that no license is required to fly an ultralight?

    No license is required to fly a "Part 103 legal ultralight". However,
    flying is something that is not to be taken lightly. Just because
    ultralights "look simple" does not mean they can be flown without training.

    USUA strongly advises people to obtain instruction from a certified
    ultralight flight instructor. Even people who are already general
    aviation pilots, for example, always benefit from ultralight
    instruction. Ultralights have their own characteristics that most
    general aviation pilots aren't accustomed to.

    --

    boB,
    SAG 70

    U.S. Army Aviation (retired)