Update on my Canon IP4000 post + new query

My original post is indicated below. Here's the update:

I did receive the printer. I set it up. The first thing I did was print a
page of text on each printer (the new Canon and the old Epson). Both were
good, but the Epson seemed to be sharper. So, for text, I prefer the Epson.

I then printed a photo on the Canon. IT WAS OUTSTANDING. It seemed just
about as good as I can do at a store.

Now another question: COST? The Canon comes with 5 cartridges. Suppose I
print 4X6 photos. How many can I get out of these cartridges and how much
does it cost to replace a cartridge? What about the compatibles? Are they as
good?

Mel (original post below):

At the moment, I am using an old Epson Stylus Color 600 and it works
GREAT!!! I use it mostly for correspondence and an occassional Greeting
Workshop effort. But, mostly business related. (I teach mathematics and use
WORD
and Math Type to create tests and it prints just great on the old Epson!)

I now have a new digital camera (Canon A75). Rumor has it that I will be
getting an IP4000 as a birthday gift. My question: is this printer just good
for printing photos or will this also be superior to my Epson for the other
aforementioned uses.

Mel

14 answers Last reply
More about update canon ip4000 post query

    MB_ wrote:
    > My original post is indicated below. Here's the update:
    >
    > I did receive the printer. I set it up. The first thing I did was print a
    > page of text on each printer (the new Canon and the old Epson). Both were
    > good, but the Epson seemed to be sharper. So, for text, I prefer the Epson.
    >
    > I then printed a photo on the Canon. IT WAS OUTSTANDING. It seemed just
    > about as good as I can do at a store.
    >
    > Now another question: COST? The Canon comes with 5 cartridges. Suppose I
    > print 4X6 photos. How many can I get out of these cartridges and how much
    > does it cost to replace a cartridge? What about the compatibles? Are they as
    > good?

    I use cartridges from this ebay seller: http://tinyurl.com/5noa3 The
    cartridges do have a good bit more ink than the OEM and many other
    compatible brands and the print quality is nearly as good as OEM. If
    you want the absolute best then stick with the Canon brand. If getting
    within 85%-90% of the quality when using genuine Canon ink is good
    enough for you then go with the compatibles in the link. We go through
    at least one set of cartridges every two weeks in our i9100 printer and
    have had no clogging problems with these cartridges. We have saved
    almost $1,500 on ink costs over the last year by using compatibles. For
    us, the slight trade-off in quality is worth the savings. Besides, most
    people can't and/or don't notice the difference anyway.

    Mike:

    I am wondering how many 4X6 pictures I can print before I need to replace
    cartridges.

    Mel
    "Michael Johnson, PE" <cds@erols.com> wrote in message
    > MB_ wrote:
    >> My original post is indicated below. Here's the update:
    >>
    >> I did receive the printer. I set it up. The first thing I did was print a
    >> page of text on each printer (the new Canon and the old Epson). Both were
    >> good, but the Epson seemed to be sharper. So, for text, I prefer the
    >> Epson.
    >>
    >> I then printed a photo on the Canon. IT WAS OUTSTANDING. It seemed just
    >> about as good as I can do at a store.
    >>
    >> Now another question: COST? The Canon comes with 5 cartridges. Suppose I
    >> print 4X6 photos. How many can I get out of these cartridges and how much
    >> does it cost to replace a cartridge? What about the compatibles? Are they
    >> as good?
    >>

    > I use cartridges from this ebay seller: http://tinyurl.com/5noa3 The
    > cartridges do have a good bit more ink than the OEM and many other
    > compatible brands and the print quality is nearly as good as OEM. If you
    > want the absolute best then stick with the Canon brand. If getting within
    > 85%-90% of the quality when using genuine Canon ink is good enough for you
    > then go with the compatibles in the link. We go through at least one set
    > of cartridges every two weeks in our i9100 printer and have had no
    > clogging problems with these cartridges. We have saved almost $1,500 on
    > ink costs over the last year by using compatibles. For us, the slight
    > trade-off in quality is worth the savings. Besides, most people can't
    > and/or don't notice the difference anyway.

    My wife prints mostly pictures on the i9100 with some card stock for
    doing the scrapbook stuff. She said she has printed about 30 8.5"x11"
    and around 40 4"x6" photos on this set of cartridges. I have printed
    several pictures too on this set. I just checked them and they are
    about 20% full. It seems that the yellow cartridge runs out before the
    others do for our type of use. I would estimate about 250-300 4"x6"
    photo prints on a set of the compatible cartridges. At around $12 per
    set of cartridges that equates to about 5 cents per 4"x6" print for ink
    cost.

    MB_ wrote:
> [...]

    they as
    > > good?
    > >

    > I use cartridges from this ebay seller: http://tinyurl.com/5noa3 The
    > cartridges do have a good bit more ink than the OEM and many other
    > compatible brands and the print quality is nearly as good as OEM. If
    > you want the absolute best then stick with the Canon brand. If getting
    > within 85%-90% of the quality when using genuine Canon ink is good
    > enough for you then go with the compatibles in the link. We go through
    > at least one set of cartridges every two weeks in our i9100 printer and
    > have had no clogging problems with these cartridges. We have saved
    > almost $1,500 on ink costs over the last year by using compatibles. For
    > us, the slight trade-off in quality is worth the savings. Besides, most
    > people can't and/or don't notice the difference anyway.

    Very roughly, how many copies are you printing out per
    day/week/month/whatevers easiest for you to give a figure for. Printing
    photos, text or a mixture? Just trying to get a very rough handle on how
    much ink to stock up for my IP3000 (or IP4000 if someone convinces me to
    splah the extra cash :-) )

    --
    What am I selling on ebay right now?
    http://tinyurl.com/38yjc

    Simon Finnigan wrote:
    > "Michael Johnson, PE" <cds@erols.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>MB_ wrote:
    >>
    >>>My original post is indicated below. Here's the update:
    >>>
    >>>I did receive the printer. I set it up. The first thing I did was print

    >>>page of text on each printer (the new Canon and the old Epson). Both
    >
    > were
    >
    >>>good, but the Epson seemed to be sharper. So, for text, I prefer the
    >
    > Epson.
    >
    >>>I then printed a photo on the Canon. IT WAS OUTSTANDING. It seemed just
    >>>about as good as I can do at a store.
    >>>
    >>>Now another question: COST? The Canon comes with 5 cartridges. Suppose I
    >>>print 4X6 photos. How many can I get out of these cartridges and how
    >
    > much
    >
    >>>does it cost to replace a cartridge? What about the compatibles? Are
    >
    > they as
    >
    >>>good?
    >>>

    >>I use cartridges from this ebay seller: http://tinyurl.com/5noa3 The
    >>cartridges do have a good bit more ink than the OEM and many other
    >>compatible brands and the print quality is nearly as good as OEM. If
    >>you want the absolute best then stick with the Canon brand. If getting
    >>within 85%-90% of the quality when using genuine Canon ink is good
    >>enough for you then go with the compatibles in the link. We go through
    >>at least one set of cartridges every two weeks in our i9100 printer and
    >>have had no clogging problems with these cartridges. We have saved
    >>almost $1,500 on ink costs over the last year by using compatibles. For
    >>us, the slight trade-off in quality is worth the savings. Besides, most
    >>people can't and/or don't notice the difference anyway.
    >

    > Very roughly, how many copies are you printing out per
    > day/week/month/whatevers easiest for you to give a figure for. Printing
    > photos, text or a mixture? Just trying to get a very rough handle on how
    > much ink to stock up for my IP3000 (or IP4000 if someone convinces me to
    > splah the extra cash :-) )

    I would say we print about 400 photo's a month and my wife also uses it
    to print on card stock for her scrap booking hobby. This month we took
    photos at a wedding and supplied many copies to the groom's side of the
    family. The printer was working overtime the past two weeks. :) You
    would probably see less prints from a set of cartridges in an IP3000
    since it has fewer of them (and therefore less ink) than the i9100.

    Before we bought the i9100 about a year ago I researched quite a few
    photo printers. When you include the use of compatible cartridges in
    Canon printers there really is nothing I found that can come close to
    equaling the cost efficiency of their printers. For our use, which is
    amateur photography and printing for ourselves, family and friends, the
    quality and longevity of the prints we make are more than satisfactory.

    > Simon Finnigan wrote:
    > > "Michael Johnson, PE" <cds@erols.com> wrote in message

    > > were

    > > Epson.

    > > much

    > > they as

    > >>I use cartridges from this ebay seller: http://tinyurl.com/5noa3 The
    > >>cartridges do have a good bit more ink than the OEM and many other
    > >>compatible brands and the print quality is nearly as good as OEM. If
    > >>you want the absolute best then stick with the Canon brand. If getting
    > >>within 85%-90% of the quality when using genuine Canon ink is good
    > >>enough for you then go with the compatibles in the link. We go through
    > >>at least one set of cartridges every two weeks in our i9100 printer and
    > >>have had no clogging problems with these cartridges. We have saved
    > >>almost $1,500 on ink costs over the last year by using compatibles. For
    > >>us, the slight trade-off in quality is worth the savings. Besides, most
    > >>people can't and/or don't notice the difference anyway.
    > >

    > > Very roughly, how many copies are you printing out per
    > > day/week/month/whatevers easiest for you to give a figure for. Printing
    > > photos, text or a mixture? Just trying to get a very rough handle on
    how
    > > much ink to stock up for my IP3000 (or IP4000 if someone convinces me to
    > > splah the extra cash :-) )
    > >

    > I would say we print about 400 photo's a month and my wife also uses it
    > to print on card stock for her scrap booking hobby. This month we took
    > photos at a wedding and supplied many copies to the groom's side of the
    > family. The printer was working overtime the past two weeks. :) You
    > would probably see less prints from a set of cartridges in an IP3000
    > since it has fewer of them (and therefore less ink) than the i9100.
    >
    > Before we bought the i9100 about a year ago I researched quite a few
    > photo printers. When you include the use of compatible cartridges in
    > Canon printers there really is nothing I found that can come close to
    > equaling the cost efficiency of their printers. For our use, which is
    > amateur photography and printing for ourselves, family and friends, the
    > quality and longevity of the prints we make are more than satisfactory.

    Looking at the figures you`ve given, and Caitlin, it looks as if the ink
    carts run out slightly quicker than they do in my current Epson C64. Then
    again, they`re a fraction of the price, and the IP3000 has a few other nice
    features that appeal to me a lot. I don`t think I can justify the extra
    cash for the IP4000, but I`m very much looking forward to my new toy now :-)

    --

    Simon Finnigan wrote:
    > "Michael Johnson, PE" <cds@erols.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Simon Finnigan wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Michael Johnson, PE" <cds@erols.com> wrote in message

    >>>were

    >>>Epson.

    >>>much

    >>>they as

    >>>Very roughly, how many copies are you printing out per
    >>>day/week/month/whatevers easiest for you to give a figure for. Printing
    >>>photos, text or a mixture? Just trying to get a very rough handle on
    >
    > how
    >
    >>>much ink to stock up for my IP3000 (or IP4000 if someone convinces me to
    >>>splah the extra cash :-) )
    >>>

    >>I would say we print about 400 photo's a month and my wife also uses it
    >>to print on card stock for her scrap booking hobby. This month we took
    >>photos at a wedding and supplied many copies to the groom's side of the
    >>family. The printer was working overtime the past two weeks. :) You
    >>would probably see less prints from a set of cartridges in an IP3000
    >>since it has fewer of them (and therefore less ink) than the i9100.
    >>
    >>Before we bought the i9100 about a year ago I researched quite a few
    >>photo printers. When you include the use of compatible cartridges in
    >>Canon printers there really is nothing I found that can come close to
    >>equaling the cost efficiency of their printers. For our use, which is
    >>amateur photography and printing for ourselves, family and friends, the
    >>quality and longevity of the prints we make are more than satisfactory.
    >

    > Looking at the figures you`ve given, and Caitlin, it looks as if the ink
    > carts run out slightly quicker than they do in my current Epson C64. Then
    > again, they`re a fraction of the price, and the IP3000 has a few other nice
    > features that appeal to me a lot. I don`t think I can justify the extra
    > cash for the IP4000, but I`m very much looking forward to my new toy now :-)

    When it comes to inkjet printers the cost to operate is really the
    deciding factor IMO. The quality between brands is so close that most
    people can live with the prints produced by just about any of the major
    photo printers. One last thing that I like about the Canons is that
    they are fast. We get 4"x6" prints in about 40 seconds and 8.5"x11" in
    less than two minutes. Getting a letter size photo print from our old
    HP printer took forever. Good luck and I hope you get your new toy soon. :)

    > When it comes to inkjet printers the cost to operate is really the
    > deciding factor IMO. The quality between brands is so close that most
    > people can live with the prints produced by just about any of the major
    > photo printers. One last thing that I like about the Canons is that
    > they are fast. We get 4"x6" prints in about 40 seconds and 8.5"x11" in
    > less than two minutes. Getting a letter size photo print from our old
    > HP printer took forever. Good luck and I hope you get your new toy soon.
    :)

    It`s the 4th of Jan at the moment, but apparently the IP4000 is only £100 in
    a local shop. I`m trying to convince myself that going to that shop today
    and braving the sales is a good idea :-)

    --
    What am I selling on ebay right now?
    http://tinyurl.com/38yjc
    Earn money reading emails!
    http://tinyurl.com/2pcgm

    Do not know how many you can get. The cost is about $10.00 per
    cartridge. The larger black is pigmented and is used for text so it
    should not run out when printing photos.

    "MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
    > Mike:
    >
    > I am wondering how many 4X6 pictures I can print before I need to replace
    > cartridges.
    >
    > Mel

    Not quite an answer to your question, but I just printed 25 x double sided
    full colour A4 pages (to make Christmas cards) These had full colour photos
    covering the whole page using Kodak Glossy double sided photo paper. So the
    equivalent of about 200 4x6 prints. Prior to that I'd probably printed about
    20 4x6 colour photos. This with a brand new ip4000. I now have a warning
    that the yellow tank is running low, but it's still going ok for now.

    Simon Finnigan wrote:
    > "Michael Johnson, PE" <cds@erols.com> wrote in message
    >> When it comes to inkjet printers the cost to operate is really the
    >> deciding factor IMO. The quality between brands is so close that
    >> most people can live with the prints produced by just about any of
    >> the major photo printers. One last thing that I like about the
    >> Canons is that they are fast. We get 4"x6" prints in about 40
    >> seconds and 8.5"x11" in less than two minutes. Getting a letter
    >> size photo print from our old HP printer took forever. Good luck
    >> and I hope you get your new toy soon. :)
    >
    > It`s the 4th of Jan at the moment, but apparently the IP4000 is only
    > £100 in a local shop. I`m trying to convince myself that going to
    > that shop today and braving the sales is a good idea :-)

    If you plan to print photos, you better "splah" that extra cash...it's
    worthed. Anyway, this is more or less only difference between two - extra
    photo black...why do you think it's called "photo" black...?

    Simon Finnigan wrote:
    > "Michael Johnson, PE" <cds@erols.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>When it comes to inkjet printers the cost to operate is really the
    >>deciding factor IMO. The quality between brands is so close that most
    >>people can live with the prints produced by just about any of the major
    >>photo printers. One last thing that I like about the Canons is that
    >>they are fast. We get 4"x6" prints in about 40 seconds and 8.5"x11" in
    >>less than two minutes. Getting a letter size photo print from our old
    >>HP printer took forever. Good luck and I hope you get your new toy soon.
    >
    > :)
    >
    > It`s the 4th of Jan at the moment, but apparently the IP4000 is only £100 in
    > a local shop. I`m trying to convince myself that going to that shop today
    > and braving the sales is a good idea :-)

    And what planet are you on?

    "George E. Cawthon" <GeorgeC-Boise@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > Simon Finnigan wrote:
    > > "Michael Johnson, PE" <cds@erols.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>When it comes to inkjet printers the cost to operate is really the
    > >>deciding factor IMO. The quality between brands is so close that most
    > >>people can live with the prints produced by just about any of the major
    > >>photo printers. One last thing that I like about the Canons is that
    > >>they are fast. We get 4"x6" prints in about 40 seconds and 8.5"x11" in
    > >>less than two minutes. Getting a letter size photo print from our old
    > >>HP printer took forever. Good luck and I hope you get your new toy
    soon.

    > > :)
    > >
    > > It`s the 4th of Jan at the moment, but apparently the IP4000 is only
    £100 in
    > > a local shop. I`m trying to convince myself that going to that shop
    today
    > > and braving the sales is a good idea :-)
    > >

    > And what planet are you on?

    I meant that the printer was going to turn up on the 4th of Jan from where
    I`d ordered it from. It made sense when I wrote it :-)

    --
    What am I selling on ebay right now?
    http://tinyurl.com/38yjc
    Earn money reading emails!
    http://tinyurl.com/2pcgm
  14. hello everyone!

    where can I find top adult preview video?

    This only have I found <a href=http://www.hqpornspots.com/speculumplays/>Speculum Plays</a>

    thanks

Printers Canon Epson Peripherals Product