Word processor

October 2, 2004 10:57:21 AM

Can anyone recommend a Pocket PC word processor for grown-ups? I'm old
enough to be trusted with a proper 'Open' dialog and personalized folder
structure. Microsoft Pocket Word, with its cretinous insistence on
dumping all files - even though there may be thousands of them - in one
folder, childishly named "My Documents", is too annoying.

I don't need a lot of features and formatting options; the facility to
enter text is all I'm really looking for. I use Metapad (a superb
replacement for Notepad) almost exclusively on my desktop computer.

More about : word processor

October 2, 2004 10:57:22 AM

My Pocket Word works with multiple folders. I can keep them anywhere on my
device, on memory cards or built in flash memory. New documents by default
will be placed in the current folder I am in, or in My Documents if i am not
in a folder.
You can also use File Explorer to open Word documents wherever you like to
keep them.

"Urp" <a@sdbvksbvibzdfbzdzdnz.com.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone recommend a Pocket PC word processor for grown-ups? I'm old
> enough to be trusted with a proper 'Open' dialog and personalized folder
> structure. Microsoft Pocket Word, with its cretinous insistence on dumping
> all files - even though there may be thousands of them - in one folder,
> childishly named "My Documents", is too annoying.
>
> I don't need a lot of features and formatting options; the facility to
> enter text is all I'm really looking for. I use Metapad (a superb
> replacement for Notepad) almost exclusively on my desktop computer.
October 2, 2004 10:57:22 AM

Reply to message from Urp <a@sdbvksbvibzdfbzdzdnz.com.com> (Sat, 02 Oct
2004 01:57:21) about "Word processor":

There have been a couple of replacements mentioned during the past week.

Bye
Ann <nospam@netzero.com> Sat, 02 Oct 2004 03:45:44 -0400

Can anyone recommend a Pocket PC word processor for grown-ups? I'm old
enough to be trusted with a proper 'Open' dialog and personalized folder
structure. Microsoft Pocket Word, with its cretinous insistence on dumping
all files - even though there may be thousands of them - in one folder,
childishly named "My Documents", is too annoying.

I don't need a lot of features and formatting options; the facility to
enter text is all I'm really looking for. I use Metapad (a superb
replacement for Notepad) almost exclusively on my desktop computer.
October 2, 2004 5:23:53 PM

The best word processor is TextMaker from german Softmaker company.

--

..: Jakub Kanczugowski
..: www.PDAclub.pl

that can be found in http://www.softmaker.de/index_en.htm.

--
Carlo Ma. Guerrero
Microsoft MVP, Mobile Devices

"Jakub Kanczugowski" <duncan@no-spam-ever.ceti.pl> wrote in message
The best word processor is TextMaker from german Softmaker company.

--

..: Jakub Kanczugowski
..: www.PDAclub.pl
October 3, 2004 1:44:18 AM

Urp wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a Pocket PC word processor for grown-ups? I'm old
> enough to be trusted with a proper 'Open' dialog and personalized folder
> structure. Microsoft Pocket Word, with its cretinous insistence on
> dumping all files - even though there may be thousands of them - in one
> folder, childishly named "My Documents", is too annoying.

Just because it doesnt look like windows xp doesn't mean it isn't grown
up. Experiment a little, and you'll find you can save files anywhere.

--
Marc
See http://www.imarc.co.uk/ for contact details.

On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 21:44:18 +0100, Marc <see@signature.url> wrote:

>Urp wrote:
>> Can anyone recommend a Pocket PC word processor for grown-ups? I'm old
>> enough to be trusted with a proper 'Open' dialog and personalized folder
>> structure. Microsoft Pocket Word, with its cretinous insistence on
>> dumping all files - even though there may be thousands of them - in one
>> folder, childishly named "My Documents", is too annoying.
>

>Just because it doesnt look like windows xp doesn't mean it isn't grown
>up. Experiment a little, and you'll find you can save files anywhere.

Quite frankly I enjoy the "cretinous insistence" as when I open "Word"
it only shows the files that are applicable to that application. Quite
frankly I often wonder what people expect from a device that fits in
the palm of your hand, for Petes sake when I was younger, I was
completely happy with a hoop and a whip and top lol. Although I did
express my frustration at them not being "self booting"

Yorkshire Pudding

Elaine Dickinson: There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope
you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on
board who knows how to fly a plane?
-Airplane! (1980)
Anonymous
October 3, 2004 12:25:26 PM

For a free, simple, no frills text editor, I would recommend PocketNotepad
by Tillanosoft. Get it at http://tillanosoft.com.

It's a PPC version of the standard Windows Notepad app. Works great.

Hope that helps!

James Trosky <jamestrosky@hotmail.com> Sat, 02 Oct 2004 08:28:54 -0400

Can anyone recommend a Pocket PC word processor for grown-ups? I'm old
enough to be trusted with a proper 'Open' dialog and personalized folder
structure. Microsoft Pocket Word, with its cretinous insistence on dumping
all files - even though there may be thousands of them - in one folder,
childishly named "My Documents", is too annoying.

I don't need a lot of features and formatting options; the facility to
enter text is all I'm really looking for. I use Metapad (a superb
replacement for Notepad) almost exclusively on my desktop computer.
Anonymous
October 3, 2004 5:25:42 PM

Carlo Ma. Guerrero [MVP] wrote:

> that can be found in http://www.softmaker.de/index_en.htm.

Many thanks Carlo, and thanks also to Jakub. I'll go and have a look.
Anonymous
October 3, 2004 6:01:16 PM

Marc wrote:

> Urp wrote:
>
>> Can anyone recommend a Pocket PC word processor for grown-ups? I'm old
>> enough to be trusted with a proper 'Open' dialog and personalized
>> folder structure. Microsoft Pocket Word, with its cretinous insistence
>> on dumping all files - even though there may be thousands of them - in
>> one folder, childishly named "My Documents", is too annoying.
>
> Just because it doesnt look like windows xp doesn't mean it isn't grown
> up.

I must say that I also find Xp annoyingly Fischer-Price-like in its
initial setup, and that I have tweaked my Xp machine to make it resemble
a Mac. Back in the days of DOS I set up a personalised folder structure
that I still use to this day; the tree of this folder structure can be
several folders deep. This works on Xp, but the Pocket PC has a
restriction of one folder deep under My Documents. This is a retrograde
step that limits choice - and I wonder, why?

> Experiment a little, and you'll find you can save files anywhere.

Indeed. I have already tweaked the Pocket PC by adding the great little
add-on that replaces the Microsoft save dialog, called File Dialog
Changer by Hou Ming, which allows me to save files where _I_ want.
Ideally, I'd also like a corresponding facility to change the 'Open'
dialog. I have also changed the registry on both the Pocket PC, and the
Windows CE Services part of the desktop PC's registry, in order to
disable the frankly risible 'one folder deep' restriction that Microsoft
has designed into the PPC's My Documents folder. The problem with
restricting the number of folders is that if you have hundreds or
thousands of text documents stored, then it can become tedious and
difficult to wade through them by scrolling through one window pane. For
a long time now, I've been accustomed to launching an app, using the
File|Open dialog and then opening the file I want. I cannot do that with
Pocket Word, and it's irritating, which is why I would like a Word
Processor with a proper Open dialog. Of course, I realise that I can
open the file from the File Explorer, but that's not the point.
Anonymous
October 3, 2004 6:13:11 PM

Gary wrote:

> My Pocket Word works with multiple folders. I can keep them anywhere on my
> device, on memory cards or built in flash memory. New documents by default
> will be placed in the current folder I am in, or in My Documents if i am not
> in a folder.
> You can also use File Explorer to open Word documents wherever you like to
> keep them.

Thanks for your comments, Gary, but I find switching apps to open
documents tedious and silly. I'd love to know why Microsoft has designed
it so that, by default, Pocket Word cannot see certain folders on the
Pocket PC; what's the point?
Anonymous
October 3, 2004 6:21:38 PM

James Trosky wrote:

> For a free, simple, no frills text editor, I would recommend PocketNotepad
> by Tillanosoft. Get it at http://tillanosoft.com.
>
> It's a PPC version of the standard Windows Notepad app. Works great.
>
> Hope that helps!

Yes, it does, James. Just installed it and so far it looks perfect. Many
thanks.
!