pokemon

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
I was looking into running composite and component sources to a LCD. I've heard that VIVO will allow that, but does this mean it is a delayed picture, since I don't think a video card will have a built in transcoder. Then again, how else do they get a computer signal to go to composite through the graphics card.
I was hoping on getting a 7900GT, but apparently they don't have VIVO, otherwise I may go with either a X1800XT or 7800GT (to save some money).

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
WTF you're talking in circles, you just want to OUTPUT computer video to a Component or Composite video display device? You don't need VIVO, you just need a card with TV-Out.

Nearly all cards today have TV-Out, you don't need a special card. Select one that comes with a component breakout and composite breakout connector, as some only have S-Video output.

If you get confused, Newegg has pictures.

I Like Pictures!
gallery3zf.gif

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
I was looking into running composite and component sources to a LCD. I've heard that VIVO will allow that, but does this mean it is a delayed picture, since I don't think a video card will have a built in transcoder. Then again, how else do they get a computer signal to go to composite through the graphics card.
I was hoping on getting a 7900GT, but apparently they don't have VIVO, otherwise I may go with either a X1800XT or 7800GT (to save some money).

If I understand you correctly, you want to run a composite signal from sometime like a DVD player or HD reciever into your LCD monitor?

You can use a Composite to DFI adapter, which is fairly easy to get ahold of, but then you'd have to disconnect the computer when you do it.

Cards that have RGB composite inputs will work, for example, some of the 7800 GTs have it. Not sure why the 7900's don't.

pokemon

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
Well, VIVO allows for Video in and Video Out, I need video in, instead of a transcoder, something that will take a signal without a horizontal and vertical frequency, and change it into one that does, like composite to VGA. I will be hooking up an xbox to the monitor in this way hopefully. I have a TV tuner with a composite in, but i get a delayed video signal, which I don't know what from, I believe it is because it has to run through the software to allow it to record, but I don't want to record.

The 7900 series doesnt seem to support VIVO. My main issue is that I'm not sure I will be getting a delayed video signal like my TV tuner does with its composite input. That would be my main dilema.

How similar in performance are the X1800XT 512MB and 256MB versions?

cleeve

Illustrious
Slow down and start at the beginning.

What is it you're trying to accomplish?

[edit] sorry, I replied to an old window of theis thread. Didn't see the other stuff except for the first post[edit]

pokemon

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
I would do that if it didn't have a video delay to it. I got the Leadtek TV 2000XP RM version for $25. I am also using the software that came with it, WinFast PVR. I need something that doesn't have a delay to it, so I can actually play the game without worring about a huge delay in how fast I can react to something.

pokemon

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
I was going to be getting that for $50 in like a week, but I was also going to be upgrading the video card to something, most likely the X1800XT, so that I would be saving $100+ on a component transcoder (Vdigi) and a composite transcoder. Transcoders allow for not only upscaling, but the ability to take an analog signal and turn it into a VGA signal for the monitor. I was hoping the X1800XT 256MB could do this with its AVIVO, without getting that delay, due to the PVR software or hardware. This is the most important thing, NO DELAY.

pokemon

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
xbox -> composite cable -> video card with VIVO/AVIVO -> VGA cable -> LCD Monitor

All this must be done without the delay that PVR creates. I have no idea if the X1800XT can take the composite and transcode it into VGA without running it through the computer to be recorder, and again, i don't want to record, I just want it to transcode the composite signal into VGA (xbox signal into VGA signal).

Also, I was wonder if what I've been hearing is true? FEAR and COD2 using more than 256MB of graphics card ram. I am playing at 1024x768 with AAxAF and HDR where able. I figured the X1800XT would be a good card to use for the games I play, FEAR, COD2, HL2, BF2, Far Cry, and soon ES4: Oblivion. I wanted this card to play Oblivion at the requested resolution and details stated before with a X1800XT 256MB GPU.

pokemon

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
The thing about that is it won't upscale and the whole frequency preferably at 75Hz won't be able to work, because it requires additional configuring with a transcoder to do that.

MadCraiZ

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
I know people that run a Hauppague PVR-250 with descaler and ffdshow filters with no delay. What kind of system/tuner are you using now that you're having delay issues?

pokemon

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
I got the Leadtek TV 2000XP RM version for $25. I am also using the software that came with it, WinFast PVR

My system is up to par (gig of ram w/ 3500+) but I have heard that the elite version of this card the leadtek TV2000XP can do it without delay. But in all, I was hoping to get all in one graphics card to be able to do this, hopefully via VIVO.

pokemon

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
I dont need to capture the video, so your right, i dont want one. Does VIVO give a delay or not? That is my only question.

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
No, unless the software you use introduces it. My fix for this, get a dvi splitter and plug the xbox and computer into it and then run it to the lcd, or if the lcd has two inputs, plug one into the each of them and hit the source buttom when you want to look at the other device. I guess I really don't understand why you are trying to run the xbox through the comptuer at all.

VIVO is only meant to record sources and display the output like a regular video card to composite, component, dvi streams, not pass them through, but it can be done.

pokemon

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
I was going to get a vdigi to run the component from the xbox to the VGA monitor. But if I could run the composite to the GPU, then that would be cool.

Some people here just don't understand what is required to get a composite/component to VGA. It requires a transcoder. I don't know if the graphics cards with VIVO have one built in, because they are quite simple, you can make them for about $25.

MadCraiZ

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
I was going to get a vdigi to run the component from the xbox to the VGA monitor. But if I could run the composite to the GPU, then that would be cool.

Some people here just don't understand what is required to get a composite/component to VGA. It requires a transcoder. I don't know if the graphics cards with VIVO have one built in, because they are quite simple, you can make them for about $25.

Last I checked VIVO is just an acronym for video in/video out, it's not an actual product or specification, so I don't know what you mean by cards with VIVO built in. Maybe that's where you're confusing everybody. To my knowledge, the only way you can get Video into you computer is to capture it. There' no pass through functions on cards that will let you route video coming in over S-Video or RCA or Coax, and send it straight to the monitor. Just running the TV software with your tuner, you're capturing video. If you want to display it on your monitor without delays you either a) have to get a decent capture card that doesn't cause any delays or b) get some kind of transcoder like the vidigi or an N6 if you want to get crazy.

The nice thing about transcoder is that you don't need to run your computer to use it. I have a dual input monitor and my vidigi takes up the VGA connector and my PC uses the DVI connector.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Pokemon, the delay issue is explained in Tom's Hardware's review of the AIW X800 XT. Read that review and maybe you'll get an idea of workarounds. ATI products didn't used to have any delay, but now they do.