Sign in with
Your question

When are the next dx10 cards coming out. Any indication?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Directx
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 10, 2006 2:36:39 AM

So does anyone have a gestimate on when the direct x 10 cards will be out? Are we talking about a year or less?

More about : dx10 cards coming indication

March 10, 2006 2:54:36 AM

Quote:
So does anyone have a gestimate on when the direct x 10 cards will be out? Are we talking about a year or less?

Yes. ATI mentioned recently the R600 would leverage Xenos and be out (if memory is right) Fall, late Fall, something like that, and G80 from NV is due out sooner.

I have heard a lot of Vista dates, somewhere in October was the last one I heard. I would expect DX10 GPU by then.
March 10, 2006 2:57:52 AM

well at this rate we'll have them by late Spring! ;-)

i'm sure we'll see some around late summer. Vista comes out in October...
Related resources
March 10, 2006 6:34:07 AM

I have heard through a little birdy that it could be around mid august
March 10, 2006 3:46:47 PM

I recon sooner - if Vista beta goes public then there should at least be some support from graphics vendors (allowing them to work on their drivers and get feedback from the public). But then again, what else will be available to run on Vista beta using DX10's full feature set?

I recon June/July we will see either Nvidia or ATi unleashing their DX10 cards - ATi is almost a sure candidate as they already have some sort of unified architecture chip.
March 11, 2006 3:36:08 AM

if i'm not mistaken.. vista will come out 1st followed by DX 10 .. so vista will run using DX9 when it ships out .. that is why nvidia and ati are flaunting that their 7 series and 1xxx series are vista ready. and by the way... and if u check the inquirer they mention that vista's launch date has been delayed .. dont have the link.. in a rush.. sorry... many are saying vista's launch is end of this year..
March 11, 2006 4:12:11 AM

Point taken :D  , but I was actually refering to the Public Beta that will be doing it's rounds. Vista is delayed, but I also read from the inquirer that pressure is on the Vista team to release and that DX10 might ship before the official Vista launch - all this might be true and it might not be true. Everyhing is speculation at this stage.
March 12, 2006 9:02:06 PM

Windows Vista will be out by the begging of the school year rush to buy a new computer.

Also the 7900 GPU's are built for windows vista so there could be a driver that is released to allow the 7900 GPUs to use DX10
March 12, 2006 11:16:01 PM

So does this mean that both nvidias and atis current cards will use directx10? Or directx9? compatible doesnt necessarily mean it uses directx10? So which is it?
March 13, 2006 12:02:39 AM

Quote:
ATI R600 GPU is expected to be released in October on an 80nm process. The R600 is the successor to the R580 core and is expected to be built on a 65nm process and will be fully DirectX 10 compliant, utilising a Unified Shader Model architecture. Current rumours suggest that R600 will feature 64 Shader pipelines (processing both vertices and pixels) with 32 TMUs and 32 ROPs running at a clock speed of around 800Mhz. R600 is expected to interface to 512MB of 1.8Ghz GDDR4 Memory over a 256-bit interface.

but first

Quote:
nVidia G80 GPU is expected to be released in H2 (possibly as early as June). G80 expected to be released on TSMC's new 80nm process and will likely be the first DirectX 10 / Shader Model 4 compliant GPU on the market, indicating a total core redesign over G70/G71 and the implementation of a Unified Shader Model which processes vertices and pixels through the same dual purpose pipelines. In addition to SM4 support, improved SM3 performance and enhancements to the texture filtering engine are also expected. G80 clock speeds are expected to be around 700Mhz and the core will interface to GDDR4 memory.
March 13, 2006 12:05:45 AM

Quote:
ATI R600 GPU is expected to be released in October on an 80nm process.

Quote:
The R600 is the successor to the R580 core and is expected to be built on a 65nm process

Hmm...
March 13, 2006 12:23:39 AM

Quote:
ATI R600 GPU is expected to be released in October on an 80nm process.

Quote:
The R600 is the successor to the R580 core and is expected to be built on a 65nm process

Hmm...

lol, I was confused about the same thing.

The following was taken from a recent webcast, nicely summerazied by Uttar of B3D:

Quote:
- "Our 7900, the new high-end is 90, the 7600 which is the follow-up to our really really successful 6600 is a 90... and, uhm, 7300 is a 90. We have integrated core logic going on in the 90.
And very quickly we'll be doing a shrink in the 80 for cost improvement reasons, but basically it's the
same process. Most of our new desgins [unhearable] in the pipeline are 65 so, uhm, we are investing in
65 now and 55 very shortly after that."

Also:

Quote:
"Our DX10 [part] is nearly finished now, and uhm, it'll be rolled out this year sometime."
- "And, uhm, if I have my way, our next generation GPU will be the first DX10 GPU in the world."
March 13, 2006 1:43:38 AM

man that is fast for DX10 cards to be coming out... well about time to... wonder what new tech it brings? .. from what i saw in Farcry 2 DX 10 demo, there's nothing revolutionary being showcased.... yeah sure it looked great ... but its just a step ahead.. not a leap :)  but my bet is they are keeping the real juicy parts under wraps.. well they better be.. :lol:  .. heres a link at games trailer for the DX 10 demo.. http://gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=2363 ..
!