  • Video Games
Last response: in PC Gaming
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 4:36:30 PM

As per recent thread, I've now created a small utility to update an
aircraft's default panel layout from a saved Flight file.

It works fine on my machine (a laptop with a wide screen). But before
offering it to the community, it ought to be tested on a few more
machines/configurations. Would anyone like to test it?

I believe it's highly unlikely to mess up your system, but of course I can't
guarantee that. The only file it changes is Panel.cfg in the aircraft's
folder. It also makes a backup of Panel.cfg, and there's a button that helps
you restore it.

Just in case, it may be a good idea to make a backup of the entire Aircraft
folder before testing the utility.

David.

More about : fs2004 saving panel layouts utility

Anonymous
May 24, 2005 5:25:26 PM

Hi David,
I am very willing to have a go with this one
My email address is

quilljar at btinternet dot com

unless you want me to download it from some place?

--
Quilljar

see http://client.webshots.com/album/194691959rhDQFi
Do not reply personally, all such emails go into my spam filter
May 25, 2005 12:54:25 AM

Harmless wrote:
> As per recent thread, I've now created a small utility to update an
> aircraft's default panel layout from a saved Flight file.
>
> It works fine on my machine (a laptop with a wide screen). But before
> offering it to the community, it ought to be tested on a few more
> machines/configurations. Would anyone like to test it?
>
> I believe it's highly unlikely to mess up your system, but of course I can't
> guarantee that. The only file it changes is Panel.cfg in the aircraft's
> folder. It also makes a backup of Panel.cfg, and there's a button that helps
> you restore it.
>
> Just in case, it may be a good idea to make a backup of the entire Aircraft
> folder before testing the utility.
>
> David.

Hello David.

If you would, send the util to

akita at hot dot rr dot com

--

boB,
SAG 70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 2:10:07 AM

Dear David,
I have received the utility F2004Panel and I am delighted to report that it
works perfectly for me in every way! Thanks a million! Ever since I started
to use a Matrox card with more than one monitor, I have had the problem of
the main 2D panel spreading right across the three screens; with oval gauges
and so on. It has been a pain having to grab them and pull them into the
middle every time I fly. Now I no longer have to. I am sure that this util.
will give immense satisfaction to everyone who needs to change their panel
to suit their own style each time they use an aircraft.

What a great piece of programming!

--
Quilljar
see http://client.webshots.com/album/194691959rhDQFi
Do not reply personally, all such emails go into my spam filter
May 25, 2005 10:23:56 AM

"Harmless"
> As per recent thread, I've now created a small utility to update an
> aircraft's default panel layout from a saved Flight file.

Interesting little idea of yours... I guess I never thought about panel
info being stored in .FLT files or that it could be plugged back into the
panel.cfg file.

Cleaver... You should post it up at Avsim.com and Flightsim.com as a
utility.

Dallas
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 11:40:53 AM

Yes that's want I plan to do.

I believe the utility is safe, I can't imagine how it could mess anything
up. The aircraft's Panel.cfg is the only file it writes to. However, just to
be safe, I'd like a couple more test reports before I release it into the
wild.

It works on Quilljar's three-screen setup, so that's a good sign.

Would anyone else like to test it?

David.

> "Harmless"
>> As per recent thread, I've now created a small utility to update an
>> aircraft's default panel layout from a saved Flight file.
>
> Interesting little idea of yours... I guess I never thought about panel
> info being stored in .FLT files or that it could be plugged back into the
> panel.cfg file.
>
> Cleaver... You should post it up at Avsim.com and Flightsim.com as a
> utility.
>

> Dallas

May 25, 2005 1:10:59 PM

"Harmless"
> Would anyone else like to test it?

Sure, send it to me at my munged hotmail address. I'll try it on the
default helicopter that I always change.

Dallas
May 25, 2005 2:33:26 PM

On Wed, 25 May 2005 07:40:53 GMT, "Harmless" <u7i8o9@snotmail.com>
brought the following to our attention:

>Yes that's want I plan to do.
>
>I believe the utility is safe, I can't imagine how it could mess anything
>up. The aircraft's Panel.cfg is the only file it writes to. However, just to
>be safe, I'd like a couple more test reports before I release it into the
>wild.
>
>It works on Quilljar's three-screen setup, so that's a good sign.
>
>Would anyone else like to test it?
>
>David.

I think it would be a useful utility. Being a registered FS Panel
Stud. user, IIRC one must finagle with the sizes of the panel
elements.. and seem to recall that it was a pain-in-neck.

Does the utility address this? need to understand better.

-G

>"Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote in message
>> "Harmless"
>>> As per recent thread, I've now created a small utility to update an
>>> aircraft's default panel layout from a saved Flight file.
>>
>> Interesting little idea of yours... I guess I never thought about panel
>> info being stored in .FLT files or that it could be plugged back into the
>> panel.cfg file.
>>
>> Cleaver... You should post it up at Avsim.com and Flightsim.com as a
>> utility.
>>

>> Dallas

May 25, 2005 3:46:40 PM

I will be more than happy to test it. I have a twin monitor setup and
having to position the panels and subpanels how I like them for each
flight has always been an annoyance. I actually put this as one of my
complaints / suggested upgrades in the recent MS survey.

If it works as good as the others have said, then I'll vote for it in
the FlightSim.com best util contest.

My email is iankporter at btinternet dot com

Thanks,

Ian.

P.S. Does it save the zoom settings as well?
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 12:48:12 AM

You run FS2004 with the desired aircraft, move & size the panels with your
mouse, then save it as a Flight. This is what most people do as a matter of
course anyway. The utility simply reads the saved Flight file, converts the
values, and makes the changes permanent by updating the aircaft's Panel
file.

Of course the moving & sizing of panels can be fiddly as you seek precise
alignments & sizes. But you're doing it on your actual FS2004 screen, not
from within another application.

David.

"Gregory" <flightsim.maps@bkwds.comcast.net> wrote in message
> On Wed, 25 May 2005 07:40:53 GMT, "Harmless" <u7i8o9@snotmail.com>
> brought the following to our attention:
>
>>Yes that's want I plan to do.
>>
>>I believe the utility is safe, I can't imagine how it could mess anything
>>up. The aircraft's Panel.cfg is the only file it writes to. However, just
>>be safe, I'd like a couple more test reports before I release it into the
>>wild.
>>
>>It works on Quilljar's three-screen setup, so that's a good sign.
>>
>>Would anyone else like to test it?
>>
>>David.
>
> I think it would be a useful utility. Being a registered FS Panel
> Stud. user, IIRC one must finagle with the sizes of the panel
> elements.. and seem to recall that it was a pain-in-neck.
>
> Does the utility address this? need to understand better.
>
> -G
>
>>"Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote in message
>>> "Harmless"
>>>
>>> Interesting little idea of yours... I guess I never thought about panel
>>> info being stored in .FLT files or that it could be plugged back into
>>> the
>>> panel.cfg file.
>>>
>>> Cleaver... You should post it up at Avsim.com and Flightsim.com as a
>>> utility.
>>>

>>> Dallas

Anonymous
May 26, 2005 2:23:26 PM

Hi Harmless,

I'm about to have my first crack at a dual-monitor setup, so I' be
interested too, mate.

Regards,
John Ward
"Harmless" <u7i8o9@snotmail.com> wrote in message
> Yes that's want I plan to do.
>
> I believe the utility is safe, I can't imagine how it could mess anything
> up. The aircraft's Panel.cfg is the only file it writes to. However, just
> to be safe, I'd like a couple more test reports before I release it into
> the wild.
>
> It works on Quilljar's three-screen setup, so that's a good sign.
>
> Would anyone else like to test it?
>
> David.
>

> "Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote in message
>> "Harmless"
>>> As per recent thread, I've now created a small utility to update an
>>> aircraft's default panel layout from a saved Flight file.
>>
>> Interesting little idea of yours... I guess I never thought about panel
>> info being stored in .FLT files or that it could be plugged back into the
>> panel.cfg file.
>>
>> Cleaver... You should post it up at Avsim.com and Flightsim.com as a
>> utility.
>>

>> Dallas

April 5, 2010 5:15:45 PM

HEY! This seems very good!!! Could I test it too?? please send to darioalfieri qt hot mail dot com !!!

Thanks!!