/ Sign-up
Your question

PSU and Vid Card

  • Power Supplies
  • Components
Last response: in Components
March 10, 2006 4:38:34 AM

Alright, I'm pretty new to all this modern tech stuff as much as i try to keep up with it. Right now i have a 175watt psu and 32meg fanless vid card. I just bought a x1900xt and Aspire 520watt psu with my new system, and im wondering if i need some sort of adapter or anything to plug my power supply into my video card.

More about : psu vid card

March 10, 2006 5:20:20 AM

Yeah! you will need a PCI-E power adapter but it may come with your PSU.
If your PSU does not come with it you can purchase one. It's a regular 4pin
power connector but with a 6 pin connector on the other end.
March 10, 2006 6:13:28 AM

What are the rest of your specs?

Not all 520W PSUs are the same.

The power cable usually comes with the VGA card itself.
Related resources
March 10, 2006 2:46:42 PM

175 W PSU??? is this a dell?
does it even have a PCI-express slot? and yes what are the rest of the specs that was running off this 175w PSU???? :? :? :? :?
March 10, 2006 5:50:43 PM

The OP indicated getting a new system so I would think ( and hope ) that includes a new motherboard.
March 12, 2006 11:09:22 PM

haha I just read your comment. No its a compusa custom built (aka piece of shit that needs to die). It has an agp and i checked its version and its a 2x speed agp hahahaha. otherwise i would have bought a better vid card at some point :) . I think the power supply is part of the reason of why my computer will freeze sometimes, like when burning a cd. my other specs are like 1ghz thunderbird, 256meg pc133 ram, 56k, cdrw. im goin to an x24400 x1900xt and 2 gigs of good ram. its gonna be great im building tomorrow :) 
March 13, 2006 5:26:50 AM

Excellent choice :-D

Good Luck!