Print Inspection Lights

I am searching for some sort of desk lamp or tensor lamp or something
that is calibrated to about 6500 K for the purpose of inspecting my
inkjet prints when they come out. Anyone ever hear of such a thing? I
tried searching B&H with no luck.

Gary Eickmeier

roy

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003

"Gary Eickmeier" <geickmei@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
>I am searching for some sort of desk lamp or tensor lamp or something that
>is calibrated to about 6500 K for the purpose of inspecting my inkjet
>prints when they come out. Anyone ever hear of such a thing? I tried
>searching B&H with no luck.
>
> Gary Eickmeier

You can get special Fluorescent tubes (Graphica) from the likes of Phillips,
which are colour corrected to Daylight, but I do not know whether they are
9300K or 6500K, but they are usually only available to special order and are
expensive.

What I have been using since my Darkroom colour Printing days, is one of the
light fittings for a Tropical Fish Tank, they are very close to natural
daylight, and considerably cheaper than those for commercial use. I have
this built in under a shelf above my desk.

I believe you can also get the low voltage quartz lamps, (now very
fashionable for kitchens, etc), in a colour corrected version.

Roy

Roy wrote:

> "Gary Eickmeier" <geickmei@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
>
>>I am searching for some sort of desk lamp or tensor lamp or something that
>>is calibrated to about 6500 K for the purpose of inspecting my inkjet
>>prints when they come out. Anyone ever hear of such a thing? I tried
>>searching B&H with no luck.
>>
>>Gary Eickmeier
>

> You can get special Fluorescent tubes (Graphica) from the likes of Phillips,
> which are colour corrected to Daylight, but I do not know whether they are
> 9300K or 6500K, but they are usually only available to special order and are
> expensive.
>
> What I have been using since my Darkroom colour Printing days, is one of the
> light fittings for a Tropical Fish Tank, they are very close to natural
> daylight, and considerably cheaper than those for commercial use. I have
> this built in under a shelf above my desk.
>
> I believe you can also get the low voltage quartz lamps, (now very
> fashionable for kitchens, etc), in a colour corrected version.

Thanks Roy. I am investigating the Ott light, available from Staples. It
is a free-standing light with fluorescent tube, sometimes available
witha magnifier on it.

Gary Eickmeier

Gary Eickmeier wrote:

> I just bought an Ott Light for $39 that is kind of weak, but available
> at Staples and with a daylight color balance. Haven't actually tried it
> yet.
>
> Gary Eickmeier

The Ott Light turned out to be pretty spiffy! Got it for $39, you just
set it on your desk top next to your printer and monitor, and you can
compare your prints to your monitor with the proper color illumination.

The light doesn't appear bright enough in the store, but don't let that
fool you - the stores have very bright fluorescents in the ceiling
everywhere, so the Ott seems dim by comparison. But at home, it is just
about ideal. Any brighter and it would swamp the monitor's apparent
brightness.

Gary Eickmeier