Bypassing/Resetting Admin PW on XP Pro Question

This is regarding the allegedly successful tactic of purposely booting into
safe mode and going to CP ---> Users and granting other users admin rights
without knowing the PW.

It works on my XP Home machine, but I am interested in finding out if it
works on XP Pro as I plan on trying it tomorrow, but since I have the
opportunity to ask, I might as well! :)

Thanks
2 answers Last reply
More about bypassing resetting admin question

    On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 04:13:00 GMT, Trendon (bPstyles) wrote:

    > This is regarding the allegedly successful tactic of purposely booting into
    > safe mode and going to CP ---> Users and granting other users admin rights
    > without knowing the PW.
    >
    > It works on my XP Home machine, but I am interested in finding out if it
    > works on XP Pro as I plan on trying it tomorrow, but since I have the
    > opportunity to ask, I might as well! :)
    >
    > Thanks

    The key for completing that task is being logged into any account that is
    in the administrator group. There is a default account named Administrator
    that is created at the time that XP is installed. To access this account in
    XP Home, boot to Safe Mode. If the account is not visible on the Welcome
    screen of an XP Pro machine, press Ctrl+Alt+Del twice. The classic logon
    screen will appear. Use it to log on to the account.

    NOTE: If there is a password assigned to this default Administrator
    account, you will need it to log on.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

    Greetings --

    The only reason that you can get away with this tactic is that
    you've very unwisely left the password for the built-in Administrator
    account blank. If you like, you can apply this same complete lack of
    security to WinXP Pro, by continuing the practice.

    Bruce Chambers
    --
    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. - RAH

    "Trendon (bPstyles)" <trendon@DIESPAMDIEoptonline.net> wrote in
    message news:g%bZc.33780$Es2.14079216@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net...
    > This is regarding the allegedly successful tactic of purposely
    > booting into
    > safe mode and going to CP ---> Users and granting other users admin
    > rights
    > without knowing the PW.
    >
    > It works on my XP Home machine, but I am interested in finding out
    > if it
    > works on XP Pro as I plan on trying it tomorrow, but since I have
    > the
    > opportunity to ask, I might as well! :)
    >
    > Thanks

Safe Mode Microsoft Windows XP