Feb 6, 2006
Recently put these parts together:

Thermaltake 430W PSU

Asus A8N-E mobo

evga 6600 GT PCI-E video card

2x corsair value select 512 mb

amd athlon 64 3200+ socket 939

250 gig western digital sata2 HD

Everything is hooked up, and I know the monitor works. I don't have another PC I can test the video card or the CPU/mobo on.

Anyway, the problem is this:
We hook the monitor up, and start up the system, but the light on the monitor just stays yellow as if nothing is being output to it. Normally there's a second of yellow, then it goes blue and displays all the POST info, but nothing is happening.

The motherboard light is on, the HD is spinning, all of the fans are going.

I tired resetting the BIOS but that didn't work, and I also tried different DIMM's, to no avail.

Can anyone help?

Covered_in_bees

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
I've had this problem many times with Asus motherboards, and the reason has often been memory. These boards can be really sensitive when memory is running dual channel.

If you haven't tried this yet, use just 1 memory module. It's possible that 1 of the memory modules is bad, or more likely that the 2 together don't work well in dual channel with the motherboard.

This problem could also be related to the Legacy USB Support being enabled in BIOS by default. There's a few Asus motherboards that are showing memory problems when this is enabled. Of course, we need to get video output to disable this.

Ensure the following are connected well:

Video card supplemental power input

cpu fan to correct header on mobo

aux cpu pwr 4 pin connector to mb (many people forget this, and it wil definitely cause your symptoms!)

Try it with just one stick until you can at least get a POST...

Ensure singl stick of DDR is in approved slot for single stick ops

Disconnect all SATA/PATA/floppy drives initially

Try another ATX12V ps if available....