W-Fi Sync Ipaq hx4700

October 2, 2004 4:25:00 PM

Can someone point me to documentation as to how to set up my Ipaq hx4700 to
sync via wi-fi? The PDF user guide for the 4700 is not clear as to how to
get set up.

Thanks for any help or pointing me to an explanation as to how to set up.

Regards,

Tom Jones

More about : sync ipaq hx4700

Anonymous
October 2, 2004 4:25:01 PM

"Thomas A. Jones" <taj@nauticom.net> wrote:

>Can someone point me to documentation as to how to set up my Ipaq hx4700 to
>sync via wi-fi? The PDF user guide for the 4700 is not clear as to how to
>get set up.
>
>Thanks for any help or pointing me to an explanation as to how to set up.

We'll need more details. Will you be doing this on your internal WLAN,
like a home or office network, or are you wanting to sync from airport
hotspots back to your machine?

The former is easy - just create your partnership in the cradle as
normal. Now undock and put your WIFI connection in WORK mode -
Start|Settings|Connections|Connections|Advanced|Network Card|Click on
the WAP and change it to WORK. Ok about 10 times and then
Start|ActiveSync|Sync.

If the latter, same basic premise but you leave the card in INTERNET
mode and set up a VPN connection to your VPN server. You also usually
need to verify all of your domain WINS settings are correct so the PPC
can find your PC on the LAN.
October 3, 2004 3:47:53 AM

Ed,

Yes, I will be doing this on your internal WLAN

T Jones

"Ed Hansberry, MS-MVP/Mobile Devices"
<spamfree-silvernino@hotmail.spambegone.com> wrote in message
> "Thomas A. Jones" <taj@nauticom.net> wrote:
>
>>Can someone point me to documentation as to how to set up my Ipaq hx4700
>>sync via wi-fi? The PDF user guide for the 4700 is not clear as to how to
>>get set up.
>>
>>Thanks for any help or pointing me to an explanation as to how to set up.
>
> We'll need more details. Will you be doing this on your internal WLAN,
> like a home or office network, or are you wanting to sync from airport
> hotspots back to your machine?
>
> The former is easy - just create your partnership in the cradle as
> normal. Now undock and put your WIFI connection in WORK mode -
> Start|Settings|Connections|Connections|Advanced|Network Card|Click on
> the WAP and change it to WORK. Ok about 10 times and then
> Start|ActiveSync|Sync.
>
> If the latter, same basic premise but you leave the card in INTERNET
> mode and set up a VPN connection to your VPN server. You also usually
> need to verify all of your domain WINS settings are correct so the PPC
> can find your PC on the LAN.
> Ed Hansberry (Please do *NOT* email me. Post here for the benefit of all)
> What is on my Pocket PC? http://www.ehansberry.com/
> Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices www.pocketpc.com
> What is an MVP? - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
October 3, 2004 8:38:17 AM

Ed, might be a little unwilling to tell you how to do that on "his" internal
WLAN. I would think you would get a lot more help from him if you where
doing it on your own WLAN. ;)

As a first step you'll need to dock the hx4700 at least once with your PC,
in the cradle. And I would suggest changing the name of the hx4700 to
something without the underscore "_" or space in it first. A valid NetBIOS
name using only the letters and numbers, so perhaps hx4700, or TomsPPC.

You'll want to enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP for the NIC on your PC. On the
properties sheet for the adapter select (TCP/IP) and click on properties.
Then | Advanced | the WINS (tab) at the top, and check Enable NetBIOS over
TCP/IP This will allow your hx4700 to find your PC on the LAN by using it's
name

I have found it useful in the past to down load vxUtil from
http://www.cam.com/vxutil_pers.html and see if I can ping the PC by name at
this point. You'll need to be able to ping the PC by name and not address to
sync by Wi-Fi. Also note that your PocketPC will need to be setup in work
mode to sync. Just how you set this up depends on if you use a proxy server
normally or not.

--
David Hettel
Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices

This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
You assume all risks for your use.

"Thomas A Jones" <tajones50@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Ed,
>
> Yes, I will be doing this on your internal WLAN
>
> T Jones
>
> "Ed Hansberry, MS-MVP/Mobile Devices"
> <spamfree-silvernino@hotmail.spambegone.com> wrote in message
>> "Thomas A. Jones" <taj@nauticom.net> wrote:
>>
>>>Can someone point me to documentation as to how to set up my Ipaq hx4700
>>>sync via wi-fi? The PDF user guide for the 4700 is not clear as to how to
>>>get set up.
>>>
>>>Thanks for any help or pointing me to an explanation as to how to set up.
>>
>> We'll need more details. Will you be doing this on your internal WLAN,
>> like a home or office network, or are you wanting to sync from airport
>> hotspots back to your machine?
>>
>> The former is easy - just create your partnership in the cradle as
>> normal. Now undock and put your WIFI connection in WORK mode -
>> Start|Settings|Connections|Connections|Advanced|Network Card|Click on
>> the WAP and change it to WORK. Ok about 10 times and then
>> Start|ActiveSync|Sync.
>>
>> If the latter, same basic premise but you leave the card in INTERNET
>> mode and set up a VPN connection to your VPN server. You also usually
>> need to verify all of your domain WINS settings are correct so the PPC
>> can find your PC on the LAN.
>> --
>> __________________________________________________________________________________
>> Ed Hansberry (Please do *NOT* email me. Post here for the benefit of
>> all)
>> What is on my Pocket PC? http://www.ehansberry.com/
>> Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices www.pocketpc.com
>> What is an MVP? - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

Anonymous
October 3, 2004 9:26:32 AM

These pages may also be of interest...

http://members.cox.net/ajarvi/WM2003/Connection_Manager...
http://members.cox.net/ajarvi/WM2003/ActiveSync/WM2003A...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"David Hettel MS MVP - Mobile Devices" <dhettel@fuse.net> wrote in message
> Ed, might be a little unwilling to tell you how to do that on "his" internal WLAN. I would think
> you would get a lot more help from him if you where doing it on your own WLAN. ;)
>
> As a first step you'll need to dock the hx4700 at least once with your PC, in the cradle. And I
> would suggest changing the name of the hx4700 to something without the underscore "_" or space in
> it first. A valid NetBIOS name using only the letters and numbers, so perhaps hx4700, or TomsPPC.
>
> You'll want to enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP for the NIC on your PC. On the properties sheet for the
> adapter select (TCP/IP) and click on properties. Then | Advanced | the WINS (tab) at the top, and
> check Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP This will allow your hx4700 to find your PC on the LAN by using
> it's name
>
> I have found it useful in the past to down load vxUtil from http://www.cam.com/vxutil_pers.html
> and see if I can ping the PC by name at this point. You'll need to be able to ping the PC by name
> and not address to sync by Wi-Fi. Also note that your PocketPC will need to be setup in work mode
> to sync. Just how you set this up depends on if you use a proxy server normally or not.
>
> --
> David Hettel
> Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices
>
> This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
> You assume all risks for your use.
>
> Handhelds, mobile: http://www.geekzone.co.nz
>
> "Thomas A Jones" <tajones50@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Ed,
>>
>> Yes, I will be doing this on your internal WLAN
>>
>> T Jones
>>
>> "Ed Hansberry, MS-MVP/Mobile Devices" <spamfree-silvernino@hotmail.spambegone.com> wrote in
>> message news:1ultl0tqk4dkcnva3vt5eirc443ptius22@4ax.com...

>>> We'll need more details. Will you be doing this on your internal WLAN,
>>> like a home or office network, or are you wanting to sync from airport
>>> hotspots back to your machine?
>>>
>>> The former is easy - just create your partnership in the cradle as
>>> normal. Now undock and put your WIFI connection in WORK mode -
>>> Start|Settings|Connections|Connections|Advanced|Network Card|Click on
>>> the WAP and change it to WORK. Ok about 10 times and then
>>> Start|ActiveSync|Sync.
>>>
>>> If the latter, same basic premise but you leave the card in INTERNET
>>> mode and set up a VPN connection to your VPN server. You also usually
>>> need to verify all of your domain WINS settings are correct so the PPC
>>> can find your PC on the LAN.
>>> --
>>> __________________________________________________________________________________
>>> Ed Hansberry (Please do *NOT* email me. Post here for the benefit of all)
>>> What is on my Pocket PC? http://www.ehansberry.com/
>>> Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices www.pocketpc.com
>>> What is an MVP? - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

Anonymous
October 3, 2004 5:01:19 PM

"Thomas A Jones" <tajones50@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Ed,
>
>Yes, I will be doing this on your internal WLAN

*MY* internal WLAN? I don't think so bub. <G>

Seriously, create the partnership as normal, the put your Pocket PC's
internet card/NIC in WORK mode, launch AS and press Sync.

>T Jones
>
>"Ed Hansberry, MS-MVP/Mobile Devices"
><spamfree-silvernino@hotmail.spambegone.com> wrote in message
>> "Thomas A. Jones" <taj@nauticom.net> wrote:
>>
>>>Can someone point me to documentation as to how to set up my Ipaq hx4700
>>>sync via wi-fi? The PDF user guide for the 4700 is not clear as to how to
>>>get set up.
>>>
>>>Thanks for any help or pointing me to an explanation as to how to set up.
>>
>> We'll need more details. Will you be doing this on your internal WLAN,
>> like a home or office network, or are you wanting to sync from airport
>> hotspots back to your machine?
>>
>> The former is easy - just create your partnership in the cradle as
>> normal. Now undock and put your WIFI connection in WORK mode -
>> Start|Settings|Connections|Connections|Advanced|Network Card|Click on
>> the WAP and change it to WORK. Ok about 10 times and then
>> Start|ActiveSync|Sync.
>>
>> If the latter, same basic premise but you leave the card in INTERNET
>> mode and set up a VPN connection to your VPN server. You also usually
>> need to verify all of your domain WINS settings are correct so the PPC
>> can find your PC on the LAN.
>> --
>> __________________________________________________________________________________
>> Ed Hansberry (Please do *NOT* email me. Post here for the benefit of all)
>> What is on my Pocket PC? http://www.ehansberry.com/
>> Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices www.pocketpc.com
>> What is an MVP? - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

October 5, 2004 2:03:31 AM

Ed,

I put in work mode & synch'd via Wi-fi without a hitch!! Thanks for the
advice...

> "Thomas A Jones" <tajones50@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Ed,
>>
>>Yes, I will be doing this on your internal WLAN
>
> *MY* internal WLAN? I don't think so bub. <G>
>
> Seriously, create the partnership as normal, the put your Pocket PC's
> internet card/NIC in WORK mode, launch AS and press Sync.
Anonymous
October 5, 2004 2:28:02 AM

"Thomas A Jones" <tajones50@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Ed,
>
>I put in work mode & synch'd via Wi-fi without a hitch!! Thanks for the
>advice...

Great!