To Quilljar-Info about Matrox cards

bryan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Does your Matrox card have 3 heads (one for each monitor) or 2 heads
with a splitter cable connected to the DVI output?
I have been trying to get the virtual cockpit to stretch across 3
monitors with no success. I have tried a 2nd PCI card (data flow is too
great and frames drop to about 1fps) .Also tried Wideview but this doesn't
work in the VC, only the 2D panel and also tried Maxivista but again the
data flow through my LAN was too much and the sim virtually ground to a
halt. I was researching Matrox cards and found that some claimed to support
3 monitors but only had 2 heads with a splitter included in the box.

What I really want to know is,if I could get hold of one of those
splitter cables, would it work on my 6800GT with 2 heads? .I've been to all
the shops in town and none of them had ever seen one or heard of them though
I found a picture on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5196998824&ssPageName=ADME:B:RECO:AU:2#ebayphotohosting

Any info greatly appreciated as I don't really want to spend another AU$750
on computer stuff.I've spent waaaaay too much already.

Bryan

Bryan wrote:
> Does your Matrox card have 3 heads (one for each monitor) or 2
> heads with a splitter cable connected to the DVI output?
> I have been trying to get the virtual cockpit to stretch across 3
> monitors with no success. I have tried a 2nd PCI card (data flow is
> too great and frames drop to about 1fps) .Also tried Wideview but
> this doesn't work in the VC, only the 2D panel and also tried
> Maxivista but again the data flow through my LAN was too much and the
> sim virtually ground to a halt. I was researching Matrox cards and
> found that some claimed to support 3 monitors but only had 2 heads
> with a splitter included in the box.
> What I really want to know is,if I could get hold of one of those
> splitter cables, would it work on my 6800GT with 2 heads? .I've been
> to all the shops in town and none of them had ever seen one or heard
> of them though I found a picture on Ebay.
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5196998824&ssPageName=ADME:B:RECO:AU:2#ebayphotohosting

The Matrox Pahelia has two outputs, one with a splitter cable. Both are
unusual looking dedicated monitor outputs that need a special dongle
provided, I am sure you could get a photo and a good answer from the Matrox
website. I have no idea whether this would work with a 6800GT but I suspect
not. The Matrox is designed for three screens all the way and when
connected, the screen properties window comes up with the screens ready
numbered 1 2 3 . You can then choose whether to use theem as one wide
screen, which I do, or three seperate screens etc. I also use Maxivista with
my laptop successfully. It will accept any dragged window when in window
mode, but will yake FSNav in full screen mode which is useful. I still seem
to get full FPS like this, with a 2.8Ghz chip. Let me know if you would like
any photos of the back or front of my setup!

Cheers

--
Quilljar
see http://client.webshots.com/album/194691959rhDQFi

bryan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

> The Matrox Pahelia has two outputs, one with a splitter cable. Both are
> unusual looking dedicated monitor outputs that need a special dongle
> provided, I am sure you could get a photo and a good answer from the
> Matrox website. I have no idea whether this would work with a 6800GT but I
> suspect not. The Matrox is designed for three screens all the way and when
> connected, the screen properties window comes up with the screens ready
> numbered 1 2 3 . You can then choose whether to use theem as one wide
> screen, which I do, or three seperate screens etc. I also use Maxivista
> with my laptop successfully. It will accept any dragged window when in
> window mode, but will yake FSNav in full screen mode which is useful. I
> still seem to get full FPS like this, with a 2.8Ghz chip. Let me know if
> you would like any photos of the back or front of my setup!
>
> Cheers
>
> --
> Quilljar
> see http://client.webshots.com/album/194691959rhDQFi

Thanks for the info Q. It confirmed a few things I was wondering about. I
think I will continue to search for one of those splitter cables and see if
it works with my card. I would rather waste 20 bucks and know for sure that
it doesn't work than splurge out on a new card. Do you have any screenshots
with the VC of a plane spread across the 3 screens?. This is what I am
really trying to achieve (curses on Activecamera and payware planes, they
have spoilt me rotten lol). I can get 2 monitors to work brilliantly with
FSnav on the 3rd monitor but unfortunatly the join between the 2 monitors is
exactly where I want to see so I have to shrink the sim window to about 1 &
1/2 monitors so I can see the runway etc. My setup
http://hbear.customer.netspace.net.au/Me_and_my_setup.htm runs at full fps
with both monitors as does yours,I think it is because the cpu has already
done all the work and the vid card just splits it into 2 (or 3) views but
this is just a theory.

The saga will continue...........................

Bryan

"Bryan" <nospamforme@spamless.com> wrote in message

>> The Matrox Pahelia has two outputs, one with a splitter cable. Both are
>> unusual looking dedicated monitor outputs that need a special dongle
>> provided, I am sure you could get a photo and a good answer from the
>> Matrox website. I have no idea whether this would work with a 6800GT but
>> I suspect not. The Matrox is designed for three screens all the way and
>> when connected, the screen properties window comes up with the screens
>> ready numbered 1 2 3 . You can then choose whether to use theem as one
>> wide screen, which I do, or three seperate screens etc. I also use
>> Maxivista with my laptop successfully. It will accept any dragged window
>> when in window mode, but will yake FSNav in full screen mode which is
>> useful. I still seem to get full FPS like this, with a 2.8Ghz chip. Let
>> me know if you would like any photos of the back or front of my setup!
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> --
>> Quilljar
>> see http://client.webshots.com/album/194691959rhDQFi
>>

> Thanks for the info Q. It confirmed a few things I was wondering about. I
> think I will continue to search for one of those splitter cables and see
> if it works with my card. I would rather waste 20 bucks and know for sure
> that it doesn't work than splurge out on a new card. Do you have any
> screenshots with the VC of a plane spread across the 3 screens?. This is
> what I am really trying to achieve (curses on Activecamera and payware
> planes, they have spoilt me rotten lol). I can get 2 monitors to work
> brilliantly with FSnav on the 3rd monitor but unfortunatly the join
> between the 2 monitors is exactly where I want to see so I have to shrink
> the sim window to about 1 & 1/2 monitors so I can see the runway etc. My
> setup http://hbear.customer.netspace.net.au/Me_and_my_setup.htm runs at
> full fps with both monitors as does yours,I think it is because the cpu
> has already done all the work and the vid card just splits it into 2 (or
> 3) views but this is just a theory.
>

> The saga will continue...........................
>

> Bryan

Bryan are you in Australia? Your timezone on your posts suggests you are in
USA

bryan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Yep ,I'm an aussie. I live in a place called Wagga Wagga in NSW.