Rebuilding Scenery.cfg file

Hi there, when adding/deleting/changing the scenery config file does
anybody know of anyway other than restarting FS2004 to get the new
config active?
It would be great if there was an option on the homepage that says,
"rebuild scenery config" or something similar.
Also there are MANY addon sceneries which are all great in their own way
but often have exclusions, prereqs, incompatabilties with other meshes
etc. It would be great to have multiple config file and a choice on the
home page. It is always possible to have them now (and I do) but I have
to keep renaming them before starting FS2004
Any comments anyone or am I just being hard to please?
Lindsay

In article <42940fa0@clear.net.nz>, ratbag@yahoo.com says...
> Hi there, when adding/deleting/changing the scenery config file does
> anybody know of anyway other than restarting FS2004 to get the new
> config active?
> It would be great if there was an option on the homepage that says,
> "rebuild scenery config" or something similar.
> Also there are MANY addon sceneries which are all great in their own way
> but often have exclusions, prereqs, incompatabilties with other meshes
> etc. It would be great to have multiple config file and a choice on the
> home page. It is always possible to have them now (and I do) but I have
> to keep renaming them before starting FS2004
> Any comments anyone or am I just being hard to please?
> Lindsay

Those things are not possible with FS2004 as it currently exists. Also,
while one could design some future version of FS to allow scenery cfg
file changes with restarting FS, it would be much more difficult to make
the under-the-covers restart any faster that exiting and restarting. FS
still would still need to check all the scenery folders to see what's
changed.

/Chris T

Lindsay <ratbag@yahoo.com> wrote in news:42940fa0@clear.net.nz:

> Hi there, when adding/deleting/changing the scenery config file does
> anybody know of anyway other than restarting FS2004 to get the new
> config active?
> It would be great if there was an option on the homepage that says,
> "rebuild scenery config" or something similar.
> Also there are MANY addon sceneries which are all great in their own
> way but often have exclusions, prereqs, incompatabilties with other
> meshes etc. It would be great to have multiple config file and a
> choice on the home page. It is always possible to have them now (and I
> do) but I have to keep renaming them before starting FS2004
> Any comments anyone or am I just being hard to please?
> Lindsay

Many scenery developers have been wishing for this capability. In
FS2002 you could reload the scenery while still in the sim. Ms
decided to get rid of this.

For multiple config, you might take a look at flight sim manager
http://www.ranainside.com/software_flightsim_manager.html
It has the idea of "scenery set" which you create (basically
it zips the related scenery areas) and you can install the "set"
prior to starting FS9. You can do the same thing with aircraft
"hangers" and also texture sets.

scott s.
..

scott s. wrote:
> Lindsay <ratbag@yahoo.com> wrote in news:42940fa0@clear.net.nz:
>

>>Hi there, when adding/deleting/changing the scenery config file does
>>anybody know of anyway other than restarting FS2004 to get the new
>>config active?
>>It would be great if there was an option on the homepage that says,
>>"rebuild scenery config" or something similar.
>>Also there are MANY addon sceneries which are all great in their own
>>way but often have exclusions, prereqs, incompatabilties with other
>>meshes etc. It would be great to have multiple config file and a
>>choice on the home page. It is always possible to have them now (and I
>>do) but I have to keep renaming them before starting FS2004
>>Any comments anyone or am I just being hard to please?
>>Lindsay
>

> Many scenery developers have been wishing for this capability. In
> FS2002 you could reload the scenery while still in the sim. Ms
> decided to get rid of this.
>
> For multiple config, you might take a look at flight sim manager
> http://www.ranainside.com/software_flightsim_manager.html
> It has the idea of "scenery set" which you create (basically
> it zips the related scenery areas) and you can install the "set"
> prior to starting FS9. You can do the same thing with aircraft
> "hangers" and also texture sets.
>
> scott s.

Thanks a lot Scott, I do have FSM but hadn't got around to checking all
the functions - sounds like it may be the answer to one of my questions.
Regards & Thanks, Lindsay.