All In One Recommendations 2005

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
December 28, 2004 1:14:37 PM

I am about to set up a new home/office work space. While I'm clear on
the computer I want (Mac) and the peripherals, I'm completely in the
dark on an All In One product. I have an HP Laserjet (4MP) that's been
a phenomenal workhorse. But I don't have a fax (which I will need on
occasion), a copier (which I do need), a scanner (again, not vital, but
a nice touch) or color (an extra). I don't want to forfeit the printing
capabilities of the laser and from what I read, some of it rather
dated, I don't want to spend unnecessarily on cartridges.

I tend to hold onto hardware for a long time as long as it's doing the
job, so I want to be prudent in making a good choice. Looking somewhere
in the $400 - $500 range.

Any thoughts

More about : recommendations 2005

Anonymous
December 28, 2004 9:26:34 PM

dontgowobbly@yahoo.com wrote:

> I am about to set up a new home/office work space. While I'm clear on
> the computer I want (Mac) and the peripherals, I'm completely in the
> dark on an All In One product. I have an HP Laserjet (4MP) that's been
> a phenomenal workhorse. But I don't have a fax (which I will need on
> occasion), a copier (which I do need), a scanner (again, not vital, but
> a nice touch) or color (an extra). I don't want to forfeit the printing
> capabilities of the laser and from what I read, some of it rather
> dated, I don't want to spend unnecessarily on cartridges.
>
> I tend to hold onto hardware for a long time as long as it's doing the
> job, so I want to be prudent in making a good choice. Looking somewhere
> in the $400 - $500 range.

Since all-in-ones tend to be mediocre at each of their jobs, spend a
$150 on almost anyone, and the balance for a good photo printer- that
is, of course, if you will be printing photos.

If you are getting a new Mac, there are some deals that'll save you bux
if you get one at the same time you buy a computer.

--
John McWilliams
Anonymous

"John McWilliams" <jpmcw@comcast.net> wrote in message
> dontgowobbly@yahoo.com wrote:
>
>> I am about to set up a new home/office work space. While I'm clear on
>> the computer I want (Mac) and the peripherals, I'm completely in the
>> dark on an All In One product. I have an HP Laserjet (4MP) that's been
>> a phenomenal workhorse. But I don't have a fax (which I will need on
>> occasion), a copier (which I do need), a scanner (again, not vital, but
>> a nice touch) or color (an extra). I don't want to forfeit the printing
>> capabilities of the laser and from what I read, some of it rather
>> dated, I don't want to spend unnecessarily on cartridges.
>>
>> I tend to hold onto hardware for a long time as long as it's doing the
>> job, so I want to be prudent in making a good choice. Looking somewhere
>> in the $400 - $500 range.
you might try to get a scanner with a print/copy/fax button and use ur
computer as a fax machine
December 29, 2004 1:23:04 PM

I have just bought a Samsung SCX-4100 mono Laser printer / mono copier /
colour scanner. In the (UK) sales I got this for UKP59 (thatr's less than
US100). Incredible value. I compared the printout on this to an identical
document that I had previosuly printed out on a device probably costing 20
to 30 times as much. I genuinely could not tell the difference! I am very
very impressed with this. My only concern is that the laser consumables
don't last as long as some of the big players (HP Laserjet 3, 4 etc) but
all-in-all I am delighted with this printer!

<dontgowobbly@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I am about to set up a new home/office work space. While I'm clear on
> the computer I want (Mac) and the peripherals, I'm completely in the
> dark on an All In One product. I have an HP Laserjet (4MP) that's been
> a phenomenal workhorse. But I don't have a fax (which I will need on
> occasion), a copier (which I do need), a scanner (again, not vital, but
> a nice touch) or color (an extra). I don't want to forfeit the printing
> capabilities of the laser and from what I read, some of it rather
> dated, I don't want to spend unnecessarily on cartridges.
>
> I tend to hold onto hardware for a long time as long as it's doing the
> job, so I want to be prudent in making a good choice. Looking somewhere
> in the $400 - $500 range.
>
> Any thoughts

December 29, 2004 4:22:33 PM

In article <1104257677.613205.22370
@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, dontgowobbly@yahoo.com
says...
> I am about to set up a new home/office work space. While I'm clear on
> the computer I want (Mac) and the peripherals, I'm completely in the
> dark on an All In One product. I have an HP Laserjet (4MP) that's been
> a phenomenal workhorse. But I don't have a fax (which I will need on
> occasion), a copier (which I do need), a scanner (again, not vital, but
> a nice touch) or color (an extra). I don't want to forfeit the printing
> capabilities of the laser and from what I read, some of it rather
> dated, I don't want to spend unnecessarily on cartridges.
>
> I tend to hold onto hardware for a long time as long as it's doing the
> job, so I want to be prudent in making a good choice. Looking somewhere
> in the $400 - $500 range.
>
> Any thoughts

I just bought a Dell 1600n
and it is amazing for the price I paid.
It was normally $400 from dell, but I did a search
and found it was $200 off with this coupon.
Unfortunately the coupon expired mid Dec.
Frustrated, I went to eBay, and found one in my same
town.

The guys name was Boris, and I talked him into letting
one go for $235 and I pick it up.

For that price, I got a Laser printer which prints
clear text, a fax machine, and color scanner.
The latter 2 I have not yet used, as I really only
needed a printer. This thing is lightweight, and not
too large while not being too small that is gets
bumped around easily.
It even has a real paper cassette not like some
cheaper units where the paper hangs over the edge and
eventually gets moisture curl...none of that.

The reviews from others are mixed complaining of the
noise being too high. It doesn't bother me and is the
sound I would expect from a printer.
For pete sakes, for $235, it is a real STEAL for me.
I would HIGHLY recomend this to anyone.

p.s. I forgot to mention it also has a document
feeder.

--
http://www.fiveminutesoffame.com/forum/index.php
Get your five minutes of FAME

> I am inclined to go with HP again, although everyone seems to feel
> multifunctionals are essentially mediocre.

I have not used the HP LaserJet All-in-ones, but I would take exception to the
suggestion that all multifunctions are mediocre. I have extensively used a
number of HP's inkjet AIO's, both at home and at the office. The print speed
and quality is comparable to the printer it is based on and copying and faxing
are very good. I currently use an Officejet 7410 at home and the 7310 at work.
These are based on the same print mechanism as the DeskJet 8450 printer. They
provide great photo prints with the optional photo cartridge, support networked
connections, have fax, scan, copy, built-in photo card slots, automatic
two-sided printing, automatic two sided copying, a document feeder, dual paper
trays and a host of other features. You can see the lineup of HP's AIO
printers at:
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF02a/18972-238... for the
color models and
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF02a/18972-238... for the
B&W units.

There are some lower-end AIO units that would not be particularly suitable for
office use. The $99 AIO are based on the low end printers and may not have the
duty cycle and quality you are looking for.

Regards,