Sign in with
Your question

7900GT(X) important question

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 10, 2006 6:36:20 PM

Ok the people a THG Happend to overlook this, but what is the power consumption of these cards? Becuase i dont know if im going to need more power than planned.

More about : 7900gt important question

March 10, 2006 6:53:47 PM

Actually we couldn't get all of the regular testing we wanted done. I hope to have a follow up article with actual market cards soon. I had a PNY 7900GTX come in yesterday and am waiting on a few others.

Once I have those I will gte ower and other details out in an article. The time compression around this launch was too tight to do what we wanted to do.
March 10, 2006 7:07:18 PM

Quote:
Ok the people a THG Happend to overlook this, but what is the power consumption of these cards? Becuase i dont know if im going to need more power than planned.

7900 GTX 512 Mb minimum power requirements:

1 card - 400watts 12volts @ 26amps or more.

2 card (SLI) - 500watts 12volts @ 32amps.

This is just the minimum requirements, so if your system is heavily moded with other power sucking hardwares then you should go for more than the minimum to prevent undervoltage which causes the graphics to automatically sets to the lowest setting possible.

So if your system don't meet the power requirements then, a 600-650 watt psu would be a good replacement for plenty of juice and to be on the safe side and as well as future proof.
Related resources
March 10, 2006 7:18:13 PM

Actually this is a little low. We have had reports of power supplies failing at 550W. AMD had Antec TruePower 550W in their test lab and under heavydynamic power loads they saw machines switch off. They have since replaced them with larger PSUs. This is a known issue as ATI and NVIDIA have seen this with high end cards in SLI and CrossFire at high quality settings.
March 10, 2006 7:41:23 PM

Quote:
Actually this is a little low. We have had reports of power supplies failing at 550W. AMD had Antec TruePower 550W in their test lab and under heavydynamic power loads they saw machines switch off. They have since replaced them with larger PSUs. This is a known issue as ATI and NVIDIA have seen this with high end cards in SLI and CrossFire at high quality settings.

These are the facts that I got from the manufacturer themselves and as I have mentioned in my last post a 600-650 watt would be better.

Right now Im running 600watt on my current rig. I never go with the miminum requirements when it comes to power supply.
March 10, 2006 8:12:46 PM

I only have a 550W powersupply.
March 10, 2006 9:36:09 PM

Well, Nvidia's specs look better than ATi in terms of amperage required - 4A is alot in this case.

This just gets my nickers in a twist - is there any links to where sum1 actually does some thorough investigation into power requirements for new tech gcards?
March 10, 2006 11:39:14 PM

The thing we are starting to see is the need to over supply as the dynamic loads on specific rails can become too much in certain situations.
March 11, 2006 12:05:49 AM

I just hope my FSP Grp 600w holds up. Its been a bad ass little PSU, passing every stress test I've seen thrown at it from THG and other publishers. SEE THE LIGHT convert to FSP grp lol.
!