• Nvidia
  • Battlefield
  • Graphics Cards
  • Geforce
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 10, 2006 6:55:09 PM

What is the best Geforce card for Battlefield 2. I have a Geforce 6800 128mb, and it doesnt do what i want. I want something that can run at Max settings and is a decent price (lower than $300)

More about : geforce video card

March 10, 2006 7:38:12 PM

i dont think its a 2 gig problem. http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/12/13/how_much_ram_do_... it shows here that its not that much different at all. I dont like my card anyway. It freezes and when something explodes in my face colors come out of no where for 0.5 seconds. Besides when I put my Radeon X600 256mb, put the settings on low with the view distance 100% and it ran smooth. i put my Geforce card in and put it to the same settings, but it was all chunky. I was thinking about getting the GS but i heard its way better to spend your money on the 7800 GT
March 10, 2006 7:54:41 PM

well i dont nead 2 gig. I met someone who had a computer with everything awsome except that he had 1 gig. He told me that it was chunky for the first couple seconds than it smoothed out. I once put 2 gig in my computer, i didnt see any difference when putting the settings on high, it was still chunky. On newegg.com they have the 7800 GT for $285. Much cheaper than buying it elsewhere. 2 gig is just for the beginning part when you hop into the game. The memory has to store all the data of the map and all the players than after that it runs fine. I guess ill see when i get a new card
Related resources
March 10, 2006 8:03:48 PM

Quote:
What is the best Geforce card for Battlefield 2. I have a Geforce 6800 128mb, and it doesnt do what i want. I want something that can run at Max settings and is a decent price (lower than $300)

For me I think the best Geforce card for BF2 in both price and performance would be 7900GT. For around $350 bucks its faster than the 7800GTX 256 card! So the $50 extra is definitely worth it and to be able to play games like BF2 in "eye-candy" quality and performance.!!!!
March 10, 2006 8:06:09 PM

chuck, do you think the Geforce 6800 128mb is good for battlefield 2 on high settings? I play mine with high settings and i can only play at wake island (with 32 players) without it choking. I think its my video card, only becuz my Radeon X600 256mb on low settings run better than this on low settings.
March 10, 2006 8:17:35 PM

Quote:
chuck, do you think the Geforce 6800 128mb is good for battlefield 2 on high settings? I play mine with high settings and i can only play at wake island (with 32 players) without it choking. I think its my video card, only becuz my Radeon X600 256mb on low settings run better than this on low settings.

Personally I haven't run BF2 with the cards you mention so I wouldn't know for sure.

How much ram do you have? If your playing BF2, a 2Gb of ram is needed to run the game at its best. The huge maps, just takes so much memory and from what I've heard the game uses 1.2 Gb of ram.

I've experience it myself before when I only have 1 Gb of ram and playing the game with hight settings causes it to stutter. So I got 1Gb more for the total of 2Gb on my system and the game runs fine on high quality.

So, if you don't have 2Gb of ram then try that first before upgrading your
graphics card.
March 10, 2006 8:21:07 PM

Do you think if i were to get a stronger card with 256mb i wouldnt see any difference only becuz i have 1 gig?
March 10, 2006 8:29:06 PM

No, you need 2Gb of ram to run BF2 and not becuase you have a 128Mb graphics card. I have the 7800GTX 256 SLI, but still I needed 2Gb of ram to run the game with high setting. So try that first. I've run the game using value ram before and they performed really well.
March 10, 2006 8:30:23 PM

Quote:
Do you think if i were to get a stronger card with 256mb i wouldnt see any difference only becuz i have 1 gig?

No you need 2GBs because the game just sucks up a lot of resources.

If you posted your specs we could help you better. Perhaps it's not your card at all. Perhaps there's a bottleneck somewhere else.

Edit: Damn. Chuck be me to it!
March 10, 2006 8:31:05 PM

im not asking for perfect smothness. just smooth. 1 gig is a little choppy here and there but its not bad. 2 gig is just stop the little chunkyness.
March 10, 2006 8:32:55 PM

ok my specs are (im probably not doing this right)

Amd Athlon 64 x2 dual core 2.2Ghz (4200+)
1 gig Patriot
180 gig hardrive (Hitachi)
Geforce 6800 128mb
March 10, 2006 8:42:02 PM

well with 1 gig i can be able to run it at high, not max, and still get smooth with a little chunks at beginning. is that right?
March 10, 2006 9:05:55 PM

You still need 2Gb of ram to run BF2 smoothly nonetheless and regarding what kind of graphics card you have. With your set up I would say a 256Mb graphics card and 2 Gb of ram will be good for BF2. But try the 2Gb of ram at first.

Borrow 1Gb ram from someone and test it to your system at first to see the difference. If your not satisfied with it, only then you could choose the option to upgrade your graphics card.

And if you choose to upgrade your card then highly consider the 7900GT for it would be able to play games like BF2 and FEAR and many more games to come which would only need more requirements in graphics card performance.

:D 
March 10, 2006 9:09:37 PM

yeah ok, ill try that. and for upgrading (if i have to) would the 7800 GT be good ? i dont want the 7900 GT, its a little high up in price and i dont want anything thats to amazing. i only hve battlefield 2 and i want to be able to play it on high (max). So anything that works on high (NOT MAX) smoothly
March 10, 2006 9:27:27 PM

Yes with a 7800GT and 2Gb of ram it can run the game with x2Q AA, x4 AF, Bilinear and 1280x1024 resolution and with BF2 high settings no problem. One of my pc is similar set up like yours but slightly slower cpu and run BF2 with no problem.

One important question, how much power does your psu generates.

The one I have has 350watts stock psu and runs the 7800GT no problem.
March 10, 2006 9:32:12 PM

you didnt answer my question. I want to know if 1 gig can run smoothly with the 7800 GT on high. no AA or AF. Would it run smooth? (but ofcource with the little chunks at the begining.)
March 10, 2006 9:41:02 PM

That would be no, my 7800GTX 256 SLI rig as well as the 7800GT setup can't even run BF2 smooth with a 1Gb ram. So youre gonna need a 2Gb of ram regardless if you the 128 or 256 graphics card or the 7800GT.

I have used value card before and they performed well, but it's always better to match all your ram.

I have mixed both high performance and value rams with different capacity and speeds before running BF2 and they performed with no problem, but not all rams are compatible.Also mixing ram with different speeds will cost you for the motherboard's bios would set the speed of that of the slower ram.

So it's best to match the rams manufacturer, model, speed and capacity for compatibility and performance.

Does that answer you question? :D 
March 10, 2006 9:45:01 PM

ok, lets say your wrong. I put in my Radeon X600 256 MB. (mine = Geforce 6800 128MB) I put the settings on low (view distance to 100%)
and it ran pretty darn smooth, ofcource it chunks at the beginning, but that goes away. I did the same thing with my geforce card, put the settings on low (view distance 100%) it wasnt as smooth. always chunked here and there. I was playing at a 64 player server when doing this. When i go to a 32 player server i can put the settings at high (NOT MAX) but when i go to a 64 player server i have to change it to medium.
March 10, 2006 9:46:17 PM

Actually I have 1.5GB of RAM in one of my systems and it works fine with a 6800GT.
March 10, 2006 9:50:52 PM

1 gig would be fine, ill try the 2 gig but i dont think im going to see much of a difference. Im thinking about buying the 7800 GT 256mb, is that a good choice to run at high (NOT MAX!!!) settings for battlefield 2?
March 10, 2006 10:06:58 PM

I guess Im wrong and from what I have mention is based only with my experience. But it is better to have 2Gb of ram when playing BF2 with high settings and resolution.
March 10, 2006 10:07:10 PM

Well what resolution do you plan on playing at? One of my 7800GTs can play Battlefield2 on 1280x1024 with 4XAA and every other in game setting on the max with very nice framerates.
March 10, 2006 10:29:51 PM

im planning to have it at 1280x1024, and i dont really care about the AA and AF. The one you have is the one im looking at, it has great reviews
March 10, 2006 10:32:43 PM

If anyone has a chart comparing all the video cards that would be pretty awsome, but it has to have my card (geforce 6800 128mb). If you say 2 gig is neaded, than get me a chart that shows that the 2 gig is neaded for battlefield 2
March 11, 2006 8:32:12 PM

i dont want the 7900. i want the 7800
March 11, 2006 8:33:07 PM

Well the 7900GT is now out, and would be a better purchase.
March 11, 2006 10:14:35 PM

But i dont like the money for the 7900, way too much, i dont think its worth it. I will just wait till the price goes down for it, but now im sticking with the 7800 GT
March 12, 2006 4:29:18 PM

http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=463

The games average FPS is fine, but there is inconsistent lag throughout the game.

3DXtreme

"With games becoming more memory hungry we will see the average gamer desiring 2GB of memory. Battlefield 2 runs like a whole different game with 2GB of memory..."

Driver Heaven

"..It will not be long before anyone who takes their gaming seriously will be wanting 2GB of memory and you can be sure if Battlefield 2 requires this right now that forthcoming and future title demands will be similar..."

Just type into google: 2GB Memory Battlefield 2

~Ibrahim~
March 12, 2006 5:53:02 PM

huh i guess ill put in 2 gig when i see that i nead 2 gig
March 13, 2006 9:37:39 PM

would a better video card, better than the one i have (geforce 6800 128mb), help improve the gameplay even tho i have 1 gig?
March 14, 2006 2:24:03 AM

Yes it would. :D 
March 14, 2006 2:44:18 AM

Quote:
You still need 2Gb of ram to run BF2 smoothly nonetheless and regarding what kind of graphics card you have. With your set up I would say a 256Mb graphics card and 2 Gb of ram will be good for BF2. But try the 2Gb of ram at first.

Borrow 1Gb ram from someone and test it to your system at first to see the difference. If your not satisfied with it, only then you could choose the option to upgrade your graphics card.

And if you choose to upgrade your card then highly consider the 7900GT for it would be able to play games like BF2 and FEAR and many more games to come which would only need more requirements in graphics card performance.

:D 

I dissagree about the 2gig part. I have a p4 3.4 h/t and 1gig of samsung cheap ram, and a vanilla 6600. I can run medium settings on 1024x768 with out any problems. I have even tried it at 1280x1024(darn ultrasharp LCD monitor :D  ) still is very playable. My computer is uber crap by most of you here and i hate to say it but it runs most games without any problems. I havent had any games play bad.
March 14, 2006 6:32:46 PM

Alright, thats all i wanted to know, if 1 gig was neaded even tho i have a Strong CPU and a Strong video card.
March 14, 2006 7:18:07 PM

Well if your fine running the game at medium setting in 1024x768 resolution then 1 Gb of ram should be enough, but anything higher than that in the huge multiplayer map then you might wanna upgrade. It's really up to you as a gamer if you want performance, quality or both. :D 
March 14, 2006 7:20:57 PM

well im going to put the settings at whatever high is. You know when you select low it puts the texture and all that stuff to a low setting. your making it sound like i cant run the game at all with 1 gig on high.
March 14, 2006 7:28:56 PM

Quote:
well im going to put the settings at whatever high is. You know when you select low it puts the texture and all that stuff to a low setting. your making it sound like i cant run the game at all with 1 gig on high.

Thats a very good point. Most people here are only happy telling people then need better. No one here will ever tell you "Nice system, you do not need that upgrade." Your system is not as bad as they say. I tested BF2 out on High at 1024x768 and it still runs great. The only slow down I had was when 2 tanks blew up right next to me, but I blame that on my vanilla 6600.

The same type thing happened with ut2004. I had a AMD 2500+ and 512MB of ram and a FX5200. It ran great for me, but on the forums people said it needed a gig to run good. My current system is a 18 month old Dell 8400 refurb. It ran great out of the box, I threw in a 6600 and it has given me no problems. I think people have the problems with thier system due to other sources. For example about 3 months ago I updated my sound driver to the most current one. It got me an extra 10 fps on the Call of Duty 2 demo! Lol. Also i have a very cheap mouse. I turn all acceleration and mouse smoothing off in all games and the sensitivity most of the way up. That gives a nice FPS boost as well. I think people just need to keep a system for a while to learn its feel. If i changed out computers like most people around here I would never be happy with any system.
March 14, 2006 7:35:33 PM

Quote:

Thats a very good point. Most people here are only happy telling people then need better. No one here will ever tell you "Nice system, you do not need that upgrade." Your system is not as bad as they say. I tested BF2 out on High at 1024x768 and it still runs great. The only slow down I had was when 2 tanks blew up right next to me, but I blame that on my vanilla 6600.

The same type thing happened with ut2004. I had a AMD 2500+ and 512MB of ram and a FX5200. It ran great for me, but on the forums people said it needed a gig to run good. My current system is a 18 month old Dell 8400 refurb. It ran great out of the box, I threw in a 6600 and it has given me no problems. I think people have the problems with thier system due to other sources. For example about 3 months ago I updated my sound driver to the most current one. It got me an extra 10 fps on the Call of Duty 2 demo! Lol. Also i have a very cheap mouse. I turn all acceleration and mouse smoothing off in all games and the sensitivity most of the way up. That gives a nice FPS boost as well. I think people just need to keep a system for a while to learn its feel. If i changed out computers like most people around here I would never be happy with any system.

so rochin, you think that i dont nead 2 gig for battlefield 2 to run smooth. I just want a video card, becuz i think that will help me out here, but no one is giving me a strait answer
March 14, 2006 7:50:32 PM

Ok, First off, trust me. You NEED 2 gig to enjoy BF2.

Here is your problem, Set your AGP Apeture to at least 256mb of RAM. That will smooth out your BF2 play.

I have a A64 3500+ some cheapo Kingston DDR333 RAM, and a Vanilla 6800 128mb. I play bf2 @ 1280x1024 2xaa smooth as butter. It framed like hell until I put in another gig of ram. And still framed until I adjusted my AGP apeture.

You can adjust this setting in your mobo BIOS.
March 14, 2006 7:53:12 PM

Quote:
Ok, First off, trust me. You NEED 2 gig to enjoy BF2.

Here is your problem, Set your AGP Apeture to at least 256mb of RAM. That will smooth out your BF2 play.

I have a A64 3500+ some cheapo Kingston DDR333 RAM, and a Vanilla 6800 128mb. I play bf2 @ 1280x1024 2xaa smooth as butter. It framed like hell until I put in another gig of ram. And still framed until I adjusted my AGP apeture.

You can adjust this setting in your mobo BIOS.

STOP MAKING IT SOUND LIKE NEED 2 GIG JUST TO PLAY BATTLEFIELD 2 ON HIGH! And when i go to my bios, it doesn let me change the memory to 256, dont know why, mabey becuz its 128!!
March 14, 2006 8:01:47 PM

Ok, first off. Chill out.

Your AGP Apeture allows your video card to share memory with your system memory. For example. Say you have 2 Gig of ram, and you set your apeture to 512mb of RAM. You now have the 128 on your video card, as well as an additional 512mb of ram your video card can address and borrow. The 6800 is fine for resolutions no higher than 1280x1024 unless you want insane AA and so forth. I was also having problems with framing until I got and Audigy 2. When I had the surround effects enabled and didn't have anything but onboard on my MSI Neo2 it would frame anytime things got hairy. After putting in the audigy that helped as well. For the time being you could tone down your audio settings if you are using the onboard as well. I'm not telling you what to do or how to go about buying another card, I'm giving you info based on my personal experience. In my opinion I think it wouldn't be justified to purchase another card if your solely playing BF2, if you play FEAR or Quake 4, those games frame still on my 6800 w/2 gig of ram @ 1280x1024, but BF2 runs smooth as butter.
March 14, 2006 8:18:29 PM

Ok, now I just had a thought. If your card is PCI-E then you wouldn't have the AGP apeture. And.. the PCI-e version is clocked lower than the AGP if memory serves me correctly. But I will say the Audigy 2 helped.
March 14, 2006 8:19:38 PM

Quote:
Ok, first off. Chill out.

Your AGP Apeture allows your video card to share memory with your system memory. For example. Say you have 2 Gig of ram, and you set your apeture to 512mb of RAM. You now have the 128 on your video card, as well as an additional 512mb of ram your video card can address and borrow. The 6800 is fine for resolutions no higher than 1280x1024 unless you want insane AA and so forth. I was also having problems with framing until I got and Audigy 2. When I had the surround effects enabled and didn't have anything but onboard on my MSI Neo2 it would frame anytime things got hairy. After putting in the audigy that helped as well. For the time being you could tone down your audio settings if you are using the onboard as well. I'm not telling you what to do or how to go about buying another card, I'm giving you info based on my personal experience. In my opinion I think it wouldn't be justified to purchase another card if your solely playing BF2, if you play FEAR or Quake 4, those games frame still on my 6800 w/2 gig of ram @ 1280x1024, but BF2 runs smooth as butter.

ok, if i have 1 gig, than how do i get my video card to do 256mb? I dont really want to get another gig of RAM, but no one will shutup about it. I want to know if my 6800 128mb can run smooth with 1 gig, or if i get the 7800 GT, will IT run smooth with 1 gig? thats all im asking, not asking to be told to get 2 gig
March 14, 2006 8:22:55 PM

No it will not run perfectly smooth in the larger maps with eyecandy at 1280x1024, even if you had an FX-60 cpu and a 7900GT with 1 gig of RAM.
March 14, 2006 8:25:25 PM

ok, perfectly smooth, but i dont want perfectly smooth yet, i just bought the game. I want something that will just smooth, so that means i want chunks at the beginning when hopping in the server. and a little chunks here and there. would 1 gig do that?
March 14, 2006 8:32:57 PM

You might be ok with 1 gig if you were to stick to the small maps. See, the thing is, the bigger the map, the higher the resolution, the more memory textures take up, not to mention the individual things going off when your shooting and the people next to you are. These all eat memory. So you could in theory have the most pimpin rig on the planet without more than 1 gig of RAM and this would still be a hinderance.

Can you play on High at 1024x728? I'd think they should run decent on your current specs. Also, as I had stated earlier check your sound settings, if you don't have a dedicated sound card, it can be taxing to your system with all the surround and EAX features enabled. A simple test would be to turn off the sound candy and try playing a few games to see if it smoothed out.
March 14, 2006 8:43:29 PM

Ok, but i have ran a 64 player server on a 64 player map, but with my Radeon X600, and it ran smoooth. This "need 2 gig" thing is getting old, i know i dont nead 2 gig, the only reason i would nead it if i wanted it to run super smooth. Yes i can play at 1024x728, only at a 32 player server at karkand or wake island, but with my Geforce 6800 128mb. I can only play at a 64 player server at a 64 player map at 1024x728 with my Radeon X600, but on low settings. Also with my X600 i can put the View distance to 100% and it runs pretty darn smooth (the way I like it, not YOU) If i were to do the same with my card (Geforce 6800 128mb), putting it on the same settings (view distance 100%), went to a 64 player server, 64 player map, it wouldnt run as smooth, always chunking.

I dont understand what your saying with the sound card, im not a master with computers, i just know alot. And im very week with sound cards, dont know much about em except that they make sound, thats pretty much it
March 15, 2006 12:15:41 AM

Quote:
Ok, but i have ran a 64 player server on a 64 player map, but with my Radeon X600, and it ran smoooth. This "need 2 gig" thing is getting old, i know i dont nead 2 gig, the only reason i would nead it if i wanted it to run super smooth. Yes i can play at 1024x728, only at a 32 player server at karkand or wake island, but with my Geforce 6800 128mb. I can only play at a 64 player server at a 64 player map at 1024x728 with my Radeon X600, but on low settings. Also with my X600 i can put the View distance to 100% and it runs pretty darn smooth (the way I like it, not YOU) If i were to do the same with my card (Geforce 6800 128mb), putting it on the same settings (view distance 100%), went to a 64 player server, 64 player map, it wouldnt run as smooth, always chunking.

I dont understand what your saying with the sound card, im not a master with computers, i just know alot. And im very week with sound cards, dont know much about em except that they make sound, thats pretty much it

Sounds like your getting almost the type of performance you want. If you get a more likeable performance from your x600, you may want to step your video card up to an ATI product. Some systems just work better with either an ATI or Nvidia. If you had an ATI before the 6800 you may want to check out one of the driver cleaners. I am in the same boat as you my vid card is getting dated. I am really impressed with the x800gto series. The x800gto2 can be unlocked to 16 pipes vs 12. I am going to wait untill the x1800gto(if thats what it will be called) or the other "new" ATI mid range card. I like you do not want to spend 4000 on a computer system.

My advice is try a drive cleaner to see if there are any left over ATI drivers when your running your 6800. Next I would make 100% sure all your drivers and patches are installed. In game try messing around with the mouse settings a bit. If you wanted to get another gig of ram, it honestly could not hurt, but do you need to? I have no trouble at all with BF2 or FEAR for that matter. I run everything at 1024x768, or 1280x1024. Just depends on the game, if its a bit older i up the res newer i try out lower first. If your happy with how your rig is doing do not let these "hardcore" gamers tell you what to do. I am sure that at least 40% of these "hardcore" gamers do not really have the rig they say they do. The read articles and tell others how crappy thier few month old system is. :roll:

Feel free to PM me and if you want we can chat on a instant messenger or something. I feel your system is fine. Maybe we can tweak it a bit. I am on a major budget short fall so I know how to make stuff last.
March 15, 2006 12:23:30 AM

well i wanted to know if a video card would improve my gameplay. answer? still left unknown. BESIDES! why do you nead 2 gig anyway? whats it do? helps load the game faster? thats crap.
March 15, 2006 4:26:30 PM

Does 2 gig just help the loading? or does it help the gameplay? or both?
And do i nead 2 gig if i have a strong video card and a strong processor just for battlefield 2 to run smooth?
      • 1 / 2
      • Newest
!