Sign in with
Your question

Please help me to choose P4 or Core duo

Last response: in CPUs
March 10, 2006 7:44:42 PM

Hello everyone,
I would like to choose between P4 or Core Duo laptops!!! HP8230 comes with P4 3.4GHz or shold I go with the same configuration but with Core duo.
I am not a pro. My applications focus only on MS office and Adobe Photoshop and some multimedia processing. Please help
Thanks

More about : choose core duo

March 10, 2006 8:36:24 PM

Core Duo all the way, no questions asked. They are the premium these days.
March 11, 2006 1:27:14 AM

Core duo.....for sure. I just wish I could afford one. The guy at best buy said he'd hook me up with the a T2600 for $200, but he still hasn't come through.......
Related resources
March 11, 2006 1:59:11 AM

Yes, Core Duo will give you better performance and longer battery life as well. If you can afford it, do it!
a c 99 à CPUs
March 11, 2006 3:01:00 AM

The P4 is not a laptop chip. They are powerful, but run very hot and require large, heavy, bulky heatsinks with several fans in the notebook. This turns that notebook into basically a desktop that you can fold up and lug around as it will have poor battery life and be very heavy. Go with a Core Duo as you will be much happier. The Core Duo is a dual-core CPU anyway and should outperform the P4 in most things, especially threaded apps and get better battery life and run cooler to boot.
March 11, 2006 3:19:00 AM

Unfortunately there is no 2.66GHz Core Duo chip in this lineup.

If you want speed, go for the T2600 model which runs at 2.16GHz. It is the best all around and fastest mobile chip on the market. However, it is very expensive!
March 11, 2006 4:38:25 AM

Hey, the guy said mainly office and the core duo will more than satisfied his needs. :p  Costco sales said that they were getting returns of the turdion 64 because of poor performance and customer are buying the centrino. :oops:  Dell builds probably the best laptop for core duo. I like the xps. 4 of my friends have bought one and they are extremely happy. :D 
March 11, 2006 4:15:59 PM

Quote:
The P4 is not a laptop chip. They are powerful, but run very hot and require large, heavy, bulky heatsinks with several fans in the notebook. This turns that notebook into basically a desktop that you can fold up and lug around as it will have poor battery life and be very heavy. Go with a Core Duo as you will be much happier. The Core Duo is a dual-core CPU anyway and should outperform the P4 in most things, especially threaded apps and get better battery life and run cooler to boot.

yeh i have a 3.2 prescott and it idles like at 50*C on a hot day. and it weighs 8ibs. when I play games on it the battery lasts for about 1.5 hrs and ive seen it get up to 81*C
!