Accedentally left thermal pad on HeatSink

RowdyRob

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
Boy i feel dumb right now. But i was in a hurry and i applied some arctic silver to a new comps Heatsink. Since i was in a hurry i accedently left the thermal pad on and mounted the HSF. Will this hurt anything? Because if i dont have to take it off i dont really feel like it. As long as it doesnt make it HEATUP MORE its fine.

zyzplasmaz

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
it will probably cause your cpu to overheat under use and run under higher tempertures then normal which can shorten it's lifespan. so yes remove it and reapply new thermal compound after you remove the old ones.

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
I would be inclined to believe it will not cause any issues. The thermal pad is there as a cheezy heat conduction method and putting thermal paste between it and the HS will likely not cause any ill effects. But, I would still probably remove it.

But, I'm curious what you actually left on. Do you mean you applied the compound to the thermal pad that was already on the HS, or do you mean you left the protective pad on the HS and applied the compound to that? If that is what you did, then you most certainly should remove it.

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
I would just sack up and do it over. Especially now since nothing has had time to cure. You're talking about something that could cost a lot of money for 30 minutes of work.

RowdyRob

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
Well i guess i might as well take it off. But what happend was... I applied the AS5 to the CPU die directly, then put the HSF on. There is a little pad on the HSF i didnt take that off. I thought it was called a thermal pad

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
I think thats your best bet. Make sure to remove ANY trace of EITHER the original AS5 and the thermal pad with a high quality (above 90%) rubbing alcohol, q-tips etc...you know the drill.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
You should dissamble it and remove the thermal pad or protection pad and reapply the Artic Sivler thermal paste. Its not good to mix thermal paste, grease or pads. Worst of all your laziness would cost you cpu or worst, so do it the right way before it's too late. :D

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
The worse that can happen, is that it starts to insulate the heat, rather then cunduct it through the heatsink.

You'll just have heat problems later on.

ivoryjohn

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2001
That thing on the HS is a protective pad. You absolutely must remove it.

A lot of HSF have thermal pads installed. AMD has guidelines that determine whether they recommend a thermal pad or thermal grease (for different processors).

The first time I ever saw a HSF with thermal pad already on it, I just left it there (not knowing what it was for) and applied a thin layer of grease to the cpu as well. This was on a 400mhz celeron back in the slot A or slot 1 days (forget the slot name) and it never hurt anything, but it wasn't a very hot chip even oc'd.

You may be ok, but removing it would be safest of all.

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
I know. I wasn't clear what he actually left on.

But, I'm curious what you actually left on. Do you mean you applied the compound to the thermal pad that was already on the HS, or do you mean you left the protective pad on the HS and applied the compound to that? If that is what you did, then you most certainly should remove it.

I guess now that he actually had a retail heatsink, not a 3rd party HS, in which case it is a thermal pad (retail HS) and not a protective cover (3rd party HS).

He never really clarified what he has, but if it's the thermal pad then I would just leave it in place, it should be fine.