Enforced upgrade

Been missing for a few days (bet no one noticed <g>) due to a major computer
hardware failure involving m/board, graphics card - oh and the power supply
was on the way out! All caused by too much hardware in the midi tower that I
had causing hight temperature pockets inside. So I have been forced down the
upgrade route about a year or 18 months sooner than anticipated. Mrs Smith
is not exactly ecstatic but when I pointed out that many of my golfing
friends spend more in a year on golf than the 500 British Pounds (yes - rip
off Britain!) that it has cost me she relented somewhat!

So I now have the following (all in a full size tower with plenty of space
between components)

Gigabyte K8 Triton m/board with AMD Athlon 64 3000 CPU.
Geforce 6600 GT 128Mb graphics card.
1Gb DDR400 PC3200 RAM

Re-used my hard drives, sound card and modem. Part of the cost (about 45
pounds) was the dealer's labour charge (I didn't have sufficient spare time
to do it myself).

However, every cloud has a silver lining and I now have a performance that I
only ever dreamed about. With scenery maxed and autogen on dense and traffic
(PAI a lot of it) at 100% I flew in and around Manhattan with frame rates
between 28 and 32 fps (I have it locked at 32). This is my first DirectX 9
graphics card (previously a Geforce 4) and the textures now look very good
indeed! I'm now re-building FS9 with add-ons having had to re-install but
first impressions are that it's well worth it!

Iain

bryan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Get a nice picture of Mrs Smith and set it as your background. She will love
you for it and if it looks a bit blurry or something, tell her you have to
upgrade so you can see her beautiful face more clearly......

This may appease her or she could say that you are full of it and to stop
wasting money on bloody computers lol