XP license

I'm going to buy a new PC, what will happen with the
activation of Window XP (that was already activated on my
old PC)?

Ciao, Marco
2 answers Last reply
More about license

    Hi

    What do you intend to do with the old PC? You can still keep on using it,
    the activation is valid so long as it is installed on that PC.

    --

    Will Denny
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "Marco" <gbltmp_removethis@wanadoo.fr> wrote in message
    > I'm going to buy a new PC, what will happen with the
    > activation of Window XP (that was already activated on my
    > old PC)?
    >
    > Ciao, Marco

    "Marco" <gbltmp_removethis@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

    >I'm going to buy a new PC, what will happen with the
    >activation of Window XP (that was already activated on my
    >old PC)?
    >
    >Ciao, Marco

    So long as the Windows XP remains installed on your old PC the
    activation will not be affected.

    If your old computer's Windows XP is an OEM version then it is
    permanently locked to the first computer that it was installed on and
    cannot be legitimately transferred to another computer under any
    circumstances.

    If it is a retail version (came in a Microsoft box - blue for Pro,
    green for Home) then it can be transferred to another computer
    *provided* it has been removed from the first computer, such as by
    reformatting the hard drive. Also if it is a upgrade version (Home or
    Pro) then you will also need an installation disk for a previous
    version of Windows (95/98/Me/2000) to substantiate your eligibility to
    use the upgrade version of XP when installing it on a new computer.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP