ATC

Hi all...

I can´t remember what it means when you in the ATC menu, can choose between
"Depart Straight out" Depart North"...and so on.....

What is that for, and which one should I choose??

Thanks

Erik wrote:

> I can´t remember what it means when you in the ATC menu, can choose between
> "Depart Straight out" Depart North"...and so on.....

VFR flight is much less structured than IFR flights. Thus, in the
spirit of VFR flights, you are pretty much flying on your own
navigation to wherever you want (within airspace rules, of course).

You didn't state at what type of airport you are seeing this menu, as
controlled airports (those with control towers) have slightly different
requirements than uncontrolled airports. Thus, for controlled airports
(class D and C airports, which are small to medium sized airports), you
are letting the controller know what direction you are departing VFR
and ultimately, departing his airspace. Controllers always like to
have a plan, so informing them of your flight intentions help them to
see how your flight fits into their arriving and departing sequencing
strategy.

At uncontrolled airports, you are simply broadcasting your intentions
to all potential traffic on that frequency so that any other traffic
nearby (ground, in the pattern, or inbound) know what direction you are
leaving that airport.

As a side note: I don't remember if this menu appears when you depart
VFR a class B airport (large, busy controlled airports), but if it does
in the sim, it is pretty unrealistic.

In the US, class B airspace (that above the busiest airports) is the
only airspace that requires a clearance for VFR aircraft to enter.
Thus, instead of stating that you are departing to the north or
whatever, you are required to contact clearance delivery and provide at
the minimum an on course heading that will take you out of class B
airspace or a destination. By the time you contact tower, they are
already aware of your intended direction of flight and may even issue
you initial departure vectors. If they don't, count on receiving
vectors by the departure controller. In either case, stating that "you
are departing to the north" does not happen in class B airspace (in my
experiences of flying into some class B airports in the US northeast).

> What is that for, and which one should I choose??

If you are simply flying for the pleasure of VFR flying, choose
whatever direction you want. Straight out simply means that you are
departing more or less on a runway heading, so if the runway points to
the east, that is more or less your on course heading.

--
Peter