Visual Studio 4.0 Setup Q

October 3, 2004 11:20:22 PM

(VS4.0 is a parantesis for me, but...)

I am migrating some PocketPC 2000/2002 ATL projects to new devices. (e.g. my
IPaq 1940).

Is is possible to still use the VS3.0 to compile for the Ipaq 1900 serie
Pocket PC (samsung processor) with PocketPC 2002 or better 2000. Xcopied
exe and dll files works with 95 % functionality together with my Ipaq 1940,
but that is not good enought. :(  However "to Xcopy" is a wrong way.

I also have difficulties to get my Visual Studio 4.0 platform manager to be
configured for PocketPC devices and specific my device. Only StandardSTK is
visible in the selection boxes. I am also running dotNet on the same
machine, and in this environment CF devices run well. How do I install VS4.0
(and last ServicePack) so it runs properly? Any glue?

(A plausable way is to build the ATL project in dotNet, but that will be a
future step). Just now I do not want to maintain two projects.

Thanks. Roland

More about : visual studio setup

Anonymous
October 3, 2004 11:37:40 PM

> I am migrating some PocketPC 2000/2002 ATL projects to new devices. (e.g.
> my
> IPaq 1940).
>
> Is is possible to still use the VS3.0 to compile for the Ipaq 1900 serie
> Pocket PC (samsung processor) with PocketPC 2002 or better 2000. Xcopied
> exe and dll files works with 95 % functionality together with my Ipaq
> 1940,
> but that is not good enought. :(  However "to Xcopy" is a wrong way.

My experience shows older P/PC binaries usually work on newer versions of
the OS, however there is no warrenty about this, as if there are too much
changes in some function, Windows CE might not include the redundant code to
keep old applications working, basically the source should stay compatible
while binary might be compatible.

> I also have difficulties to get my Visual Studio 4.0 platform manager to
> be
> configured for PocketPC devices and specific my device.

Guess you're talking about eMbedded Visual C++ 4.0, not Visual Studio 4.0.

>Only StandardSTK is visible in the selection boxes.
> I am also running dotNet on the same
> machine, and in this environment CF devices run well. How do I install
> VS4.0
> (and last ServicePack) so it runs properly? Any glue?

You must install the Pocket PC 2003 SDK for eVC 4.0, older SDKs are for eVC
3.0 only.
If you want to use both eVC 4.0 and VS.NET 2003 on the same computer, I
recommand
1) Installing eVC 4.0 WITHOUT any SDK
2) Installing VS.NET 2003
3) Installing WinCE SDKs (CE 4.0/4.2 Standard, P/PC 2003, SP 2003, ....)

> (A plausable way is to build the ATL project in dotNet, but that will be a
> future step). Just now I do not want to maintain two projects.

VS.NET 2003 doesn't support native development for Windows CE, this means
your un-managed C/C++ projects must be done with eVC 4.0, VS.NET 2005 is
planned to change this and provide native development support for CE.

--
Philippe Majerus
Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices (http://support.microsoft.com/support/mvp)

Thank you Philippe.

I do understand what has to be done.
You were right about eMbedded VS 3.0 and 4.0. I will check in which order I
do have .net .net2003 and eMVS4 on the same machine.
Well it is time to buy myself a new computer. It is over 18 months since
made a shift. :)

:)  Roland.
!