Just use acrobat, not Windows Journal Viewer for PDF files

Everytime I click on a web link to a PDF file, instead of just opening in
acrobat reader, the windows installer comes up, then fails to find the
windows journal viewer and I have to cancel it about 15 times before the
original link opens (in acrobat reader).

I have checked the file associations in 'folder options' in explorer and PDF
is associated with acrobat.

How do I stop this windows journal viewer from trying to install on my PC
and just let acrobat handle PDF links?
3 answers Last reply
More about just acrobat windows journal viewer files

    Have you tried right clicking on a pdf file, select Open With and then
    select adobe acrobat and check the box that states "always use the selected
    program...."?

    "Gareth Tuckwell" <ContactGT@NoSpam_hotmail.com> wrote in message
    Everytime I click on a web link to a PDF file, instead of just opening in
    acrobat reader, the windows installer comes up, then fails to find the
    windows journal viewer and I have to cancel it about 15 times before the
    original link opens (in acrobat reader).

    I have checked the file associations in 'folder options' in explorer and PDF
    is associated with acrobat.

    How do I stop this windows journal viewer from trying to install on my PC
    and just let acrobat handle PDF links?

    Tried that - to give a little more info...

    I double click a PDF file, or click on a web page PDF link and the Adobe
    Acrobat reader splash screen flashes onto the screen, only to be immediately
    replaced by the "Windows Journal Viewer" installer. This has to be cancelled
    many times (13 or 15 I think), before the installer goes away and the
    original link/file actually opens in Acrobat!

    As far as I can tell, the file associations look OK, and when I right-click
    and "Open With..." + choose acrobat, the behaviour is exactly the same!

    "br549" <spammer@spam.com> wrote in message
    > Have you tried right clicking on a pdf file, select Open With and then
    > select adobe acrobat and check the box that states "always use the
    selected
    > program...."?
    >
    > "Gareth Tuckwell" <ContactGT@NoSpam_hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Everytime I click on a web link to a PDF file, instead of just opening in
    > acrobat reader, the windows installer comes up, then fails to find the
    > windows journal viewer and I have to cancel it about 15 times before the
    > original link opens (in acrobat reader).
    >
    > I have checked the file associations in 'folder options' in explorer and
    PDF
    > is associated with acrobat.
    >
    > How do I stop this windows journal viewer from trying to install on my PC
    > and just let acrobat handle PDF links?

    Gareth, you may want to take a look at this Knowledge Base article:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;815036&Product=winxp

    Tried that - to give a little more info...

    I double click a PDF file, or click on a web page PDF link and the Adobe
    Acrobat reader splash screen flashes onto the screen, only to be immediately
    replaced by the "Windows Journal Viewer" installer. This has to be cancelled
    many times (13 or 15 I think), before the installer goes away and the
    original link/file actually opens in Acrobat!

    As far as I can tell, the file associations look OK, and when I right-click
    and "Open With..." + choose acrobat, the behaviour is exactly the same!

    "br549" <spammer@spam.com> wrote in message
    > Have you tried right clicking on a pdf file, select Open With and then
    > select adobe acrobat and check the box that states "always use the
    selected
    > program...."?
    >
    > "Gareth Tuckwell" <ContactGT@NoSpam_hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Everytime I click on a web link to a PDF file, instead of just opening in
    > acrobat reader, the windows installer comes up, then fails to find the
    > windows journal viewer and I have to cancel it about 15 times before the
    > original link opens (in acrobat reader).
    >
    > I have checked the file associations in 'folder options' in explorer and
    PDF
    > is associated with acrobat.
    >
    > How do I stop this windows journal viewer from trying to install on my PC
    > and just let acrobat handle PDF links?

PDF Windows Installer Acrobat Windows XP