Just use acrobat, not Windows Journal Viewer for PDF files

September 1, 2004 6:24:07 PM

Everytime I click on a web link to a PDF file, instead of just opening in
acrobat reader, the windows installer comes up, then fails to find the
windows journal viewer and I have to cancel it about 15 times before the
original link opens (in acrobat reader).

I have checked the file associations in 'folder options' in explorer and PDF
is associated with acrobat.

How do I stop this windows journal viewer from trying to install on my PC
and just let acrobat handle PDF links?
September 1, 2004 7:34:28 PM

Have you tried right clicking on a pdf file, select Open With and then
select adobe acrobat and check the box that states "always use the selected
program...."?

"Gareth Tuckwell" <ContactGT@NoSpam_hotmail.com> wrote in message
Everytime I click on a web link to a PDF file, instead of just opening in
acrobat reader, the windows installer comes up, then fails to find the
windows journal viewer and I have to cancel it about 15 times before the
original link opens (in acrobat reader).

I have checked the file associations in 'folder options' in explorer and PDF
is associated with acrobat.

How do I stop this windows journal viewer from trying to install on my PC
and just let acrobat handle PDF links?
Anonymous
September 1, 2004 7:37:54 PM

Tried that - to give a little more info...

I double click a PDF file, or click on a web page PDF link and the Adobe
Acrobat reader splash screen flashes onto the screen, only to be immediately
replaced by the "Windows Journal Viewer" installer. This has to be cancelled
many times (13 or 15 I think), before the installer goes away and the
original link/file actually opens in Acrobat!

As far as I can tell, the file associations look OK, and when I right-click
and "Open With..." + choose acrobat, the behaviour is exactly the same!

"br549" <spammer@spam.com> wrote in message
> Have you tried right clicking on a pdf file, select Open With and then
> select adobe acrobat and check the box that states "always use the
selected
> program...."?
>
> "Gareth Tuckwell" <ContactGT@NoSpam_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Everytime I click on a web link to a PDF file, instead of just opening in
> acrobat reader, the windows installer comes up, then fails to find the
> windows journal viewer and I have to cancel it about 15 times before the
> original link opens (in acrobat reader).
>
> I have checked the file associations in 'folder options' in explorer and
PDF
> is associated with acrobat.
>
> How do I stop this windows journal viewer from trying to install on my PC
> and just let acrobat handle PDF links?

September 1, 2004 8:54:50 PM

Gareth, you may want to take a look at this Knowledge Base article:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;815036&Product=winxp

!